[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I move in with my friend?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 236x298) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 236x298
I need to move out of my parent's house again. Work full time and make roughly $1200-$1500 usd per month and do the school thing. I'm 28 and it sucks living at home still, but also I feel poor and rent is fucking expensive.

So my friend just moved into a house and money's tight for her and her family. She's married to an asshole and they have a baby and 3 year old. The place they want me to stay is their basement which is gross from the family living there before. Carpet down there was ruined by animals and I kinda felt like I could smell human urine when we checked it out before. Anyway they tore the carpet up and now it's basically a dank unfinished basement with nothing but a washer and dryer. No bathroom, no nothing. She says they can get new carpet for down there but I'm gonna invest in a nice air filter if I move in for sure.

All that is fine I guess as long as I get a good price. Their payment is $1100/month, which is cheap for what they got. But what is fair for me to pay? I feel like her husband is going to want me to pay quite a bit because they need the money and he sees me as someone he can take advantage of. Not sure what utilities would run us.

But I'm also worried about living with them for other reasons. I love my friend and she's a kind person, but her husband is a huge rightwing asshole who seems angry all the time. And they often seem to be having relationship issues. Maybe no more than normal but it bothers me some. Their kids are great and I don't mind children.

I'm worried about how this might go but also feel like it's maybe for the best. No roommate is perfect and I'm scared to live with some random person. Even if I'm overcharged for what I get it will be cheaper than like a crappy studio apartment. But I don't want to be taken advantage of.

What should I do?
>>
>>17339127$1100 seems like alot to me. I rented a spare room with a full bath for $700 everything included. A 1BR apartment around here is $900 in a bad area
>>
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 600x702) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 600x702
So maybe I didn't explain it all so well. For a while I was basically living with them already and thought it was fun, but then the husband started acting weird around me and she said she needed to spend more time paying attention to him. And now when in around him I really feel like he dislikes me. I might dislike him some. He's kinda mean to the kids but I guess that's just him being a strict parent. We disagree politically with him being a crazy trump supporter. And that should be okay, there's nothing inherently bad in being wrong.

Idk maybe I'm crazy? It was his idea for me to move in, but he was clearly motivated by their financial situation.

And what about the bathrooms? Forgot to mention that they're adopting her teenage sister. She's really cool and will stay in the baby's room upstairs. But that's 2 bathrooms for 4 people and 2 children. Shaving my legs in my room will feel weird.

Oh and the electricity is weird downstairs. Like it only works in half of the basement and the people before had extension cords running all over down there for lighting and such. There would be no electricity in my room to start with but they may work on fixing that. And there was talk about a bathroom downstairs, but I don't see how they can afford any of this.

>>17339159
They're not renting. These are payments to own the house.
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 1024x1574) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1024x1574
>>17339159
Oh the $1100 is what they pay. I'm not sure what they're going to charge me. Maybe around $400? Rent here can be pretty low, but so is pay. Can find shitty studio apartments for $450 if you're lucky, but they often go for $600/month. A nice 2 bedroom might run $750/month if you find a good deal.
>>
>>17339177
Well that sounds like $75 maybe $100 a week max. Maybe find another woman to move in with and split the costs, or at minimum rent a room from another woman. All that drama, and people/bathrooms, sounds like a headache to me
>>
>>17339185
$750 plus bills you could do with a roomate. Best bet rent it yourself, and charge the roomate $150 a week all bills included. You will probably get more than half that way
>>
NO. It is not worth possibly ruining the friendship in hopes of saving money/living in a cool place or whatever the reason being. Unless you have lent money or shared living space in the past and know it is possible on reasonable terms, it will not be worth the risk. Seek out a new stream of revenue to assist with the extra costs. Gotta hustle.
>>
File: image.jpg (18 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18 KB, 240x320
>>17339206
So I'd rent an apartment for $750 and rent out a room for $600? That doesn't make sense lol.

>>17339190
Yeah I worry about the drama. But I love these people. Living with your best friend is kind of a plus. I'd jump at the chance if the husband wasn't a part of it. Is that awful of me?

>>17339216
Why would the friendship be ruined? Guess tensions can run high in situations like these and I might not be the best roommate with my depression issues. But that would be the case with any roommate really.

I'm scared of other women, and all the men too. Not sure how I could ever end up in a roommate situation with someone I wasn't friends with.
>>
>>17339229
$600 all bills you pay. You pay electric cable maybe water, everything. That way, its way easier for them to pay the bills, since the amount never changes. Also, since the apartment is YOURS, you are renting a room, and get to set all of the rules, plus you get the bigger bedroom. When you share/split everything, now you have equal rights, which means power struggles.

If you can live with all of those people, and the friendship means alot, then I guess go for it. Him "acting weird" means YOU are the problem, so be prepared for that
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 215x185) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 215x185
>>17339246
Thread has given me a lot to think about. I am a messy person and she and her sister are very neat, which worries me some. Hope they don't grow to resent me.

So I'll talk to her about all this stuff. Tell her I'm depressed a majority of the time and have a penchant for sitting around instead of being busybusybusy always like her. And I love to cook but I'm positive none of them will like my food, which might be weird. Hopefully she doesn't try to cook every meal. Man it seems hard getting along with people.

And I really need to ask her how this might play out with the authoritative husband. I'm not about to let some gun-toting redneck dictate my life.

Jeez maybe this is a bad idea? How are people like me supposed to ever move out of their parent's place lol
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 380x380
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.