[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Existential Depression
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: accepting.jpg (82 KB, 600x500) Image search: [Google]
accepting.jpg
82 KB, 600x500
For quite a while now I have been feeling depressed about life in general as I've always wanted an academic future maybe in software programming or some sub field of physics. I feel that academics do not make up life, and that relationships and friendships don't either because the ones you know and trust now will almost always end.

I want to have some positive things said at the moment I feel life is pointless.

Don't be edgelords and just say 'Kill yourself' because you think it's funny.

Inb4: Kill Yourself
>>
File: 1436204229100.jpg (165 KB, 589x589) Image search: [Google]
1436204229100.jpg
165 KB, 589x589
>>17337689
meditate
>>
>>17337719
How would meditating help?
>>
>>17337689
Logistically, life is meaningless.

Whatever makes you happy, is what makes life worth living. Academics, relationships, friendships–these are all very viable reasons to enjoy life and make it meaningful.

>the ones you know and trust now will almost always end

Nothing in life is permanent. All material possessions you own are essentially borrowed, everyone in your life will eventually pass. Either accept this fact of life and enjoy things while they last, or continue to mope around wallowing in self-pity you fucking faggot.
>>
>>17337689

if things were meant to last forever, we'd never die.

relationships and friendships do make up a big part of life. they are constantly changing, but why is that bad? why cant you grow and learn from someone while you can, and then move on to the next people you grow and learn from? i have a hard time understanding why this is a bad thing.

I might be a bit short sighted and biased becuase I was a military child. I went to five highschools so never really kept friends for more than 9 months, and the idea of somehow making it with a highschool sweetheart was a joke. most of the girls i dated i had to pen with 'so i move this summer...'.

all that aside, you are trying to reduce life to one simply thing. either relationships or academics or what have you.

life is literally everything you see and do. you are meant to learn and grow, academically, spiritually, socially... you are meant to make friends and lose them and have some fade out and have some you know you'll cherish forever but never see again. you are meant to love and lose and have kids, some that you hate some that you love, some that do great things and some that dissapoint you in great ways.

the point of life is to live. not to find something permanent. you would grow bored of anything permanent or even too long term.

like vision said in the age of ultron
>something isn't beautiful because it lasts
>>
>>17337757

one thing a lot of people say here is that they are having some sort of existential problem, but dont seem to know that much about existential concepts or philosophies. the most popular of which is that life is in fact inherently meaningless. The universe is indifferent, it is not trying to hurt you, and it is not trying to help you. life is just as random as it appears to be. because it is random, and our existence is to, there is no purpose to it. there is no destiny for us to achieve, and even if we could it wouldn't give us a sense of meaning or understanding. it would simply become a task.

that being said, the universe is random but we ourselves are not. we cannot control anything but how we react. we may not be able to stop that car from driving through your wall and destroying your home.

but we can control how we react. we as humans have choice, and if anything gives our lives meaning, it is those choices. when you start to say you have no choice, your life loses meaning and you simply become an object that an indifferent universe uses to carry out its pointless will.

give your life meaning by choosing to give it meaning. study, make friends, date, lose it all, then build it all up again.

its like that guy sissyphus from the greek legends. he was cursed to push a rock up a hill every day. and every day it would roll back down. he will never get it to the top, but he still chooses to keep pushing that rock every day, hoping that at the end of the day, you pushed it just a little bit farther than you did before.
>>
>>17337746
>>17337757
Thanks. I understand that the reason for life is for fun and love and emotion in general, but I can't get round to see the worth in it. Something that has got me a big is how unsure everything is. How every theory has a counter theory, how evidence is defined. I just feel unsure about the world.
>>
>>17337768

i wouldnt argue that the reason for life is fun. for many the reason is suffering.

you have your life, and as i discussed in the xistential post, it is your choice on how you react to what you know life is.

do you want to simply not do anything because you are 'unsnure' of what the world has to offer, or do you want to take the extreme blessing of a comfortable life and work towards simply being happy, and having that fun that many people do not get?

it is your choices that will give your life meaning. including the choice to give your life meaning.
>>
>>17337767
I understand there is no purpose, but I find it hard not having a purpose for myself. I just find it hard to understand why I would put through with life.
>>
>>17337775
I have based beliefs already but am finding it hard to keep those beliefs or choose different ones because of all the conflicting stuff in the world.

When I said 'fun' I meant being along for the ride.
>>
>>17337776

>i find it hard not having a purpose for myself.

well thats the point of my post is that you can give yourself purpose and meaning.

i grew up thinking i knew what my purpose was. and i worked at it and to this day still work at it. i enjoy the miles stones and know that there is no endgame to my life. i will continue to do what i think gives my life meaning, even if in a few months those accomplishments mean virtually nothing.

but i enjoy what i do even on a 'fun' level and I enjoy what I Do in the sense that it makes me feel powerful, fulfilled, and complete.

academics gave you meaning simply because you thought they were the point of life.

but if you can rationalize or argue that the point of life is to find meaning, through friends, studies, work, helping others, and simply enjoyment, why is that not enough?

you say 'put through with life' like its a horrible burden. but its not. not for you at least. even for those in first world countries who simply exist for the sake of enjoying video games on the weekend and kissing their girlfriend twice a week, its still basic enjoyable feelings. arent those better than simply not existing?
>>
>>17337767
Your para quote on the Greek legend, I don't understand the meaning behind that.
>>
>>17337768
You're not alone in being unsure, because the truth is, none of us really know what the fuck we're doing. We don't fully understand the universe, let alone the oceans on our own planet.

It's only in the past century that we've been able to gain significant momentum, and continue to snowball. We've seen the rise of television, sent a man to the moon, the creation of the internet and a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips. We live in an exciting time, pioneers of technology.

Enjoy the ride or hop off now. Nobody is forcing you to stick around.
>>
>>17337793
I didn't mean it completely negatively, but I think saying 'life is a roller coaster' is well said but I don't think it totals positive because of knowing of all the horrible stuff that has and is happening.
>>
Just thought I would say that there is a lot to take in here and thanks.
>>
>>17337794

the sissyphus one?

basically its the legend of a king who tricked the gods in various versions to coming back to life. as punishment he was forced to roll a giant boulder up a hill.

ideally, if he could get it to the top of the hill, he would have completed his task, and it would be over. however zues has enchanted the boulder so it always rolls back down.

Sissyphus is doomed to an eternity of pushing a boulder up the hill, hoping to reach a sort of 'end'. to achieve his goal. but its never going to happen. after some time, sissyphus realizes this, and knows that he will be stuck here pushing the boulder forever and no REAL change will come of it.

but he continues to do so and has to take pride that maybe today he got the boulder just a little bit higher up that hill, that when it rolls back down it doesn't go as far as before. that he made just enough change to think that his work today meant something.

that is the basic idea behind existential thought. we cannot 'fix the world'. we can simply act upon our desires to do so and hope that at the end of the day we changed it just a little bit, just enough to push it forward, even if it will never reach that perfect state.

>>17337802

by your logic, you cannot be positive unless you are helping in these situations. and i dont mean that in a condescending way. many many many people feel this way. and its not a bad way to live. its a very altruistic and noble way to live.

I like to think I help people and the world in my own way. but there are people like you that believe the only way to help the world is to get to where the really big problems are and do what you can, whatever you can to change it.

if that is the only way you can find meaning in life, is to stop the bad things, then do it. like my sissyphus story explains, you may never fix the world, but you can push it just enough to know you made some sort of difference. that your life meant something.
>>
>>17337812
Thanks that is highly relevant, and I know not everything can be helped, but the idea that so many things need to be changed is kind of sad. The Greeks have written so much on philosophy, it's amazing. I've looked into the surface of the common philosophical writings and points people have made such as Nietzsche have made and Karl Marx.
>>
>>17337830

theres a lot out there yo help you better understand what you want your place to be in the world. if you can pick a cause and help that, go for it. consider a career in politics if you want to effect many.
>>
My reasoning when posting was that I can't find anything solid to give my life a base, but after what you've all said I see most of your points are that they may end or not really be worth investing in but it's the journey to it.

I may have used some of the wrong words like existential but they seemed the closest to what I was thinking.

>>17337838
I have some political views that are well set, but recently have been rustled by all of the media and content I've been reading. I've been left quite on the fence of a lot of political things.
>>
>>17337856

>on the fence.

i feel ya. im in the middle of almost every single issue and struggle to understand why people are so unflinchingly left or right on their thoughts. everyone thinks their idea is lawful good and the other is chaotic evil.

no one realizes every idea is more or less neutral with its problems.

i can understand why abortion should be legal. but i can also understand why it shouldn't.
>>
>>17337867
That's been my thought for a lot of stuff right now. More recently I was reading into the Orlando Club Shooting and I could see a lot of stuff that pointed to it being a false red flag but then also a lot of stuff that pointed the other way. And lost all the arguments could have been explained by completely different things.
>>
>>17337883

while i sympathize with how bad the world is and all the different things out there, I've decided that its not worth my time to help out.

no matter how much I want to help I, like you, feel like im not getting the true story. I choose to try and help people in more philisophical and personal ways, if that can be called helping. it makes me happy and i like to think its helped others.

you're going to have to figure out what makes you feel better. good luck man
>>
>>17337894
Thank you. Screen capped for possible help later.
>>
>>17337900

glad i could help man. good luck. it may sound shallow or vain or delusional, but if you live in a first world country you can create a life that more or less ignores these problems.

i hear about them, im aware and up to date on news and discuss them here and there, but i dont even bother voting because i feel i could never possibly know what decision im really making.

better to watch the world make itself what it will in that sense.
>>
>>17337907
I read a thing saying I think Plato believed only philosophers should vote because they have put time into researching what they vote on.
>>
>>17338015
I wish this was still a thing. But nooooooooo, cause all people are "equal", and to do otherwise would be "inhuman", and not controlling everything by manipulating the masses in any way. The fact that people as young as 18 can vote is horrifying.
>>
>>17338056
I would willingly give up my right to vote for a club of philosopher to vote for me but the issue today is corruption.
>>
>>17338081

I wish someone would develop a true AI already, that operates purely on logic, to take over the governing of mankind... Okay, "taking over" sounds a bit harsh. Let's just say, it "assists" in making decisions.

It can't be bribed, wouldn't get bored, and as it gets older, it would only get better.
>>
>>17338099

Hell, back in high school I've even started to design a computer virus with a friend of mine, which would create a very sophisticated botnet with all the infected machines, each operating as a different kind of "neuron", if you will, and let it evolve using neural networks and evolutionary algorithms.

Problem is, this was basically a brute force method. It turned out it's not really possible to create an artificial intelligence, without first understanding what intelligence truly is.

That alone proved harder, than all the coding that was ahead, and otherwise all we would do is just tell a ton of computers to do a gigaton of calculations, and hope that intelligence will come out of it
>>
>>17338099
>AI that operates purely on logic

I'd rather see an AI that has ego-less consciousness, without any logical prisons of the mind we have.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.