[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any advice for CVs/resumes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: `CV.jpg (231 KB, 540x2013) Image search: [Google]
`CV.jpg
231 KB, 540x2013
The company I worked at for 15 years is closing down and it has been some time since I last created a CV/resume, so I was wondering if anybody had any tips.
>>
Use Comic Sans font.
>>
>>17337534
Oh jesus just ignore infographics like this, they're a pile of wank.

I used to be a headhunter. CVs we like are neat, simple, and easy to read and in a sensible order. Avoid bullshitty things like everything in that infographic, they mean nothing on a CV written by yourself. Only use one or two if highly, highly relevant to the job. Even then try and avoid because they're just so vague and even the biggiest aspie can write that he "works well with others"...
>>
>>17337631
I took this infographic as something to refer to and imply etc when writing. Like not actually writing the stuff on here word for word.
>>
File: Adolf CV.png (118 KB, 1628x760) Image search: [Google]
Adolf CV.png
118 KB, 1628x760
>>17337636
Pic related is an example of a good CV.

Start with a little introduction about yourself (try not to make yours this long - this is obviously a joke CV).

Have education and employment history as two separate sections, put whichever you want first. It helps to list your grades neatly and clearly, for e.g.:

UNIVERSITY OF KEK
Biological Sciencies, 1st class distinction

Under employment history, for each job list the dates worked and a short description/list of responsibilities etc.

At the end, write a short list of "Other Skills" i.e. any other skills you may have such as programming languages or something. Feel free to throw i a few of the ambiguities in the infographic if you really must and if they can be seen to be true from your employment history. Also put in the languages you speak here, i.e.

Languages: English, French (fluent), German (Basic)

Followed by a section of "Other Activities" (if you need to to make yourself seem more interesting) that could be a list of random but interesting/useful/relevant things you've done.

If you have a long extensive employment history, what I like to do is list older, less relevant jobs as single-line bullt point lists like this:

OTHER JOBS
- Farm Hand, Random Farm, 2001-2004
- Waiter, Some restaurant, 1998-2000

Hope that helps, good luck
>>
>>17337631
>Used to be a headhunter

Maybe you can help me, I'm trying to get into some sort of finance or IT role, but the only experience I have is working in 2 wageslave jobs for 5-6 years. How do I make up for that fact?

The degree I have is a 2.2 Maths degree.
>>
>>17337671
It's hard with a 2:2. Did you go to a good university? Your best hope is to try and get into some kind of graduate program at a big company, or to find a smaller technology company and apply to them.

If you want to, you can privately send me your CV and I can give you a bit of advice? I'm guessing you're in the UK. I can re-jig your CV if it's shit and send it back to you
>>
>>17337657
thank you very much
>>
>>17337703
Yeah, it's a good uni, it was in the top 30 when I went there.

>graduate program
Not sure if that's possible since I graduated in 201, quite a while back. Since then I've scraping by in a supermarket and to be honest, everything I've learnt has faded.
>>
>>17337762
If you want to email me your CV send it to [email protected]. That goes for anyone reading this thread. I'll change it to reflect what *I* think a good CV looks like and send you a couple of examples as well.

I don't mean running it through a fucking template like recruiters do. I mean making the CV itself neat and tidy.

A good looking CV is half a foot in the door to be honest. I used to get so many thousands of shite Indian CVs in my inbox to the point where I can just tell someone is Indian by looking at a CV with the name removed.
>>
>>17337784
Not the guy you're replying to, op here.
What do you think is the best way to make your CV stand out to an employer? Is it just what you include like experience and qualifications that matter or am I misunderstanding?
>>
>>17337800
Look at the (joke) Adolf Hitler CV. Obviously he wasn't very educated so there isn't much in there of course, but the layout is good. In it is described in detail what he did under each job so we can get a good idea of what skills he has (without him having used bullshit terms like the infographic).

Don't worry about lsiting referees - just put "Referees available on request" at the end.

A CV that stands out is one that is neat, easy on the eye, laid out in an orderly fashion. So many CVs are utter garbage and painful to read. Also what will make it stand out is if you've done incredible things and have a ridiculously good education that your parents fucking poured trust money into or something.
>>
>>17337784
You can tell when someone is Indian? You mean 1st generation or later generations?
>>
>>17337893
When they refuse to use the toilet
>>
>>17337893
Neither - when they're Indian, in India, emailing me their shitty CV for a job they're under/overqualified for, don't have the visa for, don't have the skills for, don't have the language for...etc

Indians spam the shit out of job ads
>>
>>17337958
I'll help as much as I can. Obviously I can't give you qualifications you don't have, but I'll make it orderly and nice-looking if need be
>>
>>17337784
>If you want to email me your CV send it to [email protected]
I think I'll do that once I get home from my wageslave job. Right now, I'm sitting in the toilet praying for the managers to leave so they don't "delegate" jobs to me that they should be doing themselves.

Be warned, my CV sucks considerably.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.