[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Getting rid of stupid sounding accent:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 4553996000_37f96aa1d7_b.jpg (351 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
4553996000_37f96aa1d7_b.jpg
351 KB, 1024x685
So I'm a 19yr old male. I won't say where I'm from so that I don't bring bias into your opinion. I moved from my home country to the Southern US when I was 8yrs old (Atlanta, Georgia) for two years and then moved to Dublin Ireland where I've been living for eight years.

People sometimes tell me that I sound completely American where a few guys I know used to mock my accent saying it was foreign. What do you think it is and if it is really bad how do I change it?

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0snArkkssP2
>>
>>17337148
Dunno, you read too "official." Like it was for school or something. You need to upload normal conversation, your pace is too by the books.
>>
>>17337148
Interesting. It's like a mix of American, Irish and London accent.

I'm in the same position op, or was. I moved when I was 5 years old to the UK, accent was British, then moved to US where it changed to American rather quickly but still has a twinge of foreign people pick up on.

I decided to just focus on sounding american because I want to talk normally and not raise attention for my accent, good or bad. I just listened to and imitated American accents and read books out loud. Worked pretty quickly. The good news is that foreigners generally are great at changing their accent, dunno why but my accent always changes wherever I go.
>>
Honestly, it doesn't sound that bad. Kind of pleasant, actually, It's quite subtle, but you can tell it's there. Not bad, by any means. I don't think it's worth the effort to change it.
>>
>>17337168
Well I'm originally from Kenya. I lived there for 9 years. I always here people saying that black people have distinct differences in how they speak. Is that true. Would you be able to tell that I'm not white.

Also an anon asked for me speaking normally. Here is another vocaroo voice over. Its 5 minutes long so I hope you can bear it.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1CUzuvkVm1x
>>
>>17337148
>>17337181
Similar situaion to you- moved to England when I was 4, only stayed for a year before I moved back to the states, visited a ton but was brought up by my mum who is from the channel islands who after over 20yrs of living here never lost her accent.
Everyone out here in Cali says I sound more British/formal than anything, but my family back home in the UK says I sound "soooooo Californian".
You never think you have an accent until you speak to someone with a different one.
Don't stress OP, it's a great conversation piece and generally people tend to enjoy any sort of accent in the states, it's the melting pot after all.
>>
Yeah, you sound American with a slight hint of something else. I like it. The only time I personally think someone should work on their accent is if they're really hard to understand, but yours isn't at all.
>>
>>17337267
Oops, just realised yoy said you moved back to Ireland.
Regardless, the sentiment stands that you have a clear speaking voice and an accent that is really lovely to listen to. Don't worry about changing it to sound more Irish, it may just come across like you're pushing/faking it.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.