[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/, 20 year old male here. Story is super long so I hope
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1411964004688 (1).png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1411964004688 (1).png
1 MB, 1920x1080
Hey /adv/, 20 year old male here. Story is super long so I hope you have the patience to read it all.

Graduated last year. In my last two years of school I went to an acting class for two years and I wanted to go to acting collage but I quit before I applied because I realized what an insane profession it really is ... Well here in Bulgaria at least. The payment (theatre) is 400 leva (204.89 euro), the whole method is backwards and filled with mindless pressure and I felt like I was going insane. So I started playing a lot of bass guitar and before I knew it I was in bands, playing gigs and all that jazz for less than a year.
I fell in love. Literally. All the things I worried about, like having a girlfriend and friends in general just vanished. I found something that resonated with my soul and I treated it like a religion. Things were going great and I even wanted to study in the conservatory but I wasn't very realistic with my own capabilities and I got real bad tendinitis in my left hand and a month ago I could barely even open my front door (you need two hands for that huge piece of... wood). Doctors tell me my hand will never be the same. And yes I tried to use my right hand twice as much to compensate my left, but I started damaging it from... well using it twice as much and I want to have at least one functional hand.
>>
All my acting friends are too busy in the university. All my musician friends are either too busy to hang out with me, or too jacked up and stoned to be in the same room as me. My brain feels like it's rotting away, music theory was the only "science" that kept my brain busy and when I can't play an instrument it feels distant and clunky and non-applicable. I always wrote down my songs in a simple manner that rarely needed a staff and I never liked composing. I always used theory to better my jamming OVER the main idea of the song. That way it was always alive and breathing.
So here I am now, In my room, going crazy from loneliness and lack of any physical or mental activity (although I go swimming every wednesday and friday). I also have no idea what I am going to work with such a weak and fragile hand. Oh yeah and I didn't pay any attention in school so I don't know if there is any other university that I can go to... Although I always enjoyed physics, biology and chemistry (even when I had to use math and stuff), and recently I have thought of re-learning biology and chemistry because they go hand-in-hand and applying for a uni with those subjects.

So yeah, this is my problem /adv/. The biology and chemistry thing is the only idea I got for now and I would appreciate it if you gave me some more ideas. The more the better, really.

Thank you for reading the whole thing.
>>
bomp
>>
bimp
>>
I'm really sorry anon. That sounds rough. Have you considered making music on a computer program? I know its not the same, but maybe you'll like.

Also you sound really cute
>>
>>17336797
This.

Also go through with the biology/chemistry idead. Even if you notice it isn't for you, you still have tried. Plus, you still have the time worry about smth else then.
>>
>>17336797
Hahaha, that's the first time anyone has ever called me cute on this site. :)
The computer program thing sounds ok, I guess. I don't really know where to start tho. Any suggestions for a beginner program? Keep in mind that the program has to be pirate-able at least, coz I lost my job because of the hand injury and I already asked my parents for a large sum of money so that I can buy a good ol' fender p delux (which was also before the tendinitis thing).
>>
>>17336914
Get FL Studio, watch some beginner's tutorials and then just star messing around with it. I found that the best way of learning these programs is by messing around with them and just seeing what all the plug-ins do and how many different sounds you can get out of one. Maybe buy a cheap midi keyboard too, so that you have a way of physically playing the notes into the daw without having to use the awkward pc keyboard controls.
>>
I would suggest either learning to play keyboards (if your hands can handle it) or becoming a solid vocalist. It sounds like music is what you loved doing and you should strive to keep creating in some capacity that makes you happy.
>>
File: 1438200457286.jpg (589 KB, 1920x886) Image search: [Google]
1438200457286.jpg
589 KB, 1920x886
>>17336912
Well I have a year to get prepared. Considering the enormous amount of knowledge that I have to learn, I doubt it's going to be enough. But then again, I like learning new things. Actually when I think about it, my brain will relish the exercise since it's been so dead these past few months.
... But I don't really know what I'm going to do when I finish/if I finish. What does someone with a biology/chemistry degree do, anyway?
>>
>>17336921
I already have one (easiest way to learn theory), will try to find a way to connect it with pc.
>>17336929
Nope, it's a little easier but when I try to use both hands it's equally frustrating/painful.
Singing is the other option, I guess. I did "sing" when I played but It's just not the same as bass. Bass was perfect. It was exactly what I wanted to do/sound like. From the range to the timbre to the thickness of the strings to how it looked even, just everything. Damn it was perfect.
>>
bamp
>>
>>17336942
Go into research, I think, is the first and option to find out what exactly you wanna do with it. Also a year to prepare should be more than enough, if you really dedicate yourself to it. I've been preparing for my first year of physics at uni and I can see huge improvements already, and I still got a few months to go. Just start and maybe get some help from people that are already studying to maybe get a better structure into your preparations.
>>
File: 1412009694386.jpg (567 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1412009694386.jpg
567 KB, 1920x1200
>>17337045
You know what, I think I'm gonna try both. I'll prepare as much as I can and I'll try to do musical stuff (fl studio/singing) when I have free time.

Honestly /adv/ I think you helped a lot. If anyone else wants to give some advice, go ahead but I think I am content with your answers so far.
Thank you everyone, and I wish you all lots of love.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.