[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone lied to get a job? How'd it work out for you?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: 1466656351613.gif (644 KB, 540x384) Image search: [Google]
1466656351613.gif
644 KB, 540x384
Has anyone lied to get a job? How'd it work out for you? tl;dr at the bottom

I have been temping since I graduated a year ago. I worked for two and a half years and have some awards and scholarships and leadership organization and I can't do better than recruiters trying to get me to temp for them. I know the standard Microsoft Office shit and and office etiquette and what have you. I've had a handful of interviews but I get nervous, but that's a seperate issue I'm addressing concurrently

I worked in HR while I was in school so I'm trying to do that or get a job as a paralegal because I want to get my Master's in Forensic Linguistics (I have a BA in Linguistics).

So a year of temp work doesn't look great on a resume, so I'm considering just changing it completely to something like "HR Assistant" and applying to some HR jobs with it and having a friend to two corroborate my claims and act as my references. Has anyone done anything like that? Did it work?

tl;dr: Give me reasons why I, as a job seeker with nothing to lose, shouldn't invent a fake positions to appeal to hiring managers
>>
I've been coworkers with people and they tell me they wrote me down as a reference as manager. Everybody lies on their resume. Some things are harder than others. I wouldn't say I graduated from MIT when I went to county college. And I wouldn't say I was an electrical engineer despite working at battery plus. Things like length of job, responsibilities, title, and achievements, those are very passable lies. Gl Op
>>
>>17335521
eh depends on the job. most of the positions I'm looking at do a background check that included taxes and income for the last five years. so if your references are checked but they don't find corresponding tax information then you might be fucked. and if they figure it out you will be fired which will make it really hard to get a job.
>>
>>17335535
How do most people spin it if they do get fired?

ideally if the lie worked I'd just work there for a few months so i could put that on my resume truthfully

Are they required to tell you if they do a background check before they do it or can they do it whenever they want?
>>
>>17335541
laws and policies vary by company and country.
but pretty much yes they can look into your finances a bit. they have too sometimes for payroll and benefits ect.
if you get fired what happens is you don't have a recommendation from them for your next job and that employer will assume the worst and avoid you.
if it becomes a circus then maybe fraud charges or perhaps your university will pull your degree but this is unlikely worst case stuff.

besides that lying just raises the already high bar employers have even further, and fucks everyone who actually worked for the things on their resume but you probably don't care about that.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.