[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I stop being insecure about my intelligence? This has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
How do I stop being insecure about my intelligence?

This has been bothering me on and off for around 4 years and stops me being as productive as I'd like.
If I ask someone where they think I stand I don't trust their answer because I don't know what their standards are or who they've met.
Internet IQ tests are not an option because I can't trust them either.
Objective achievements don't help me because I can't account for all the confounding factors.

Is this a thing that will just disappear over time? I would hope so. I can't be sure though. Any suggestions?
>>
I don't even understand what you're asking.
>>
File: fear.png (8 KB, 541x142) Image search: [Google]
fear.png
8 KB, 541x142
Intelligence isn't how much you know, but what you know and how you apply it (knowledge).

Also: Pic.
>>
>>17335040
Basically I want to know how intelligent I am yet don't trust any resources that could help me do so. Thus I question myself: my ability and potential.
It probably ties in to the perfectionism/procrastination struggle I have as well. I often worry that I am not good enough for my own standards or am too lazy to achieve what I want.
>>
>>17335079
Agreed, how have you used your intelligence thus far? If you have a nice fulfilling career, a worthwhile degree, a good life then I would say that your intelligence is immaterial, you have used your mind to affect positive change.

If you are neckbeard NEET living in your moms basement then it doesn't really fucking matter how smart you are. You are essentially retard level
>>
>>17335092
I study physics at Oxford. But that's still not a good enough indicator for me.
I suppose I just have to achieve my (vague) ambitions; this insecurity is just a product of being in an intermediate stage of life. When I'm happy with what I've done, I won't care.

There's always the possibility of never being satisfied but I'll have to wait and see.. (this uncertainty is a source of great frustration for me).

>>17335079
I'm thinking of intelligence in terms of potential.. which, given its basis in the future, necessitates uncertainty. I just want to know.. but I can't. Maybe it's time to embrace Taoism, lol.
>>
>>17335130
Well you can pay to take the stanford-binet or the woodcock-Johnson or any of the litany of real IQ tests (not internet shit tests) there are of course legitimate criticisms of those tests, still they are as close as you'll get to a standardized measure of intelligence
>>
>>17335082
>Basically I want to know how intelligent I am
Just drop this thought. You don't need to know how intelligent you are. Intelligence is too complex and not well enough defined a concept to be reasonably quantified. Even if it wasn't, the information would not be of any use to you.
>>
Don't bullshit yourself out of your potential, You can actually be alot smarter than you know. You just have to put work into it. I've been increasing my IQ through reading, meditation, Journaling, and Creativity/Logic puzzles.

Just go FUCKING THINK!
>>
>>17335140
Maybe.. I'd be kind of scared though. Knowing me, a score less than 130 will send me into depression or some shit. I know it's pathetic. Probably it's the attitude I have to change.

>>17335141
Yeah, good point. Easier said than done though. I've dropped this insecurity several times in the past but somehow it keeps coming back. Probably linked to perceived failures.

>>17335147
Meditation is definitely something I should start. I do read and journal. Maybe I should pick up chess too. Could you recommend any particular puzzles/websites?
>>
>>17335035
Perhaps some redpill will help.

IQ is the best single indicator for socioeconomic outcome and scholastic achievement. Its benefits are also non-tapering, quite the opposite. Individuals with IQ's higher than 160 are three times more likely to receive a highly prestigious academic award, obtain a patent, and publish original, creative research (ranked by impact factor).

IQ is 70% genetic based on meta-analyses of over 15 million monozygotic and dyzygotic twin pairs involved in dozens of longitudinal studies on the heritability of various mental, physical, and habitual traits. There is no method discovered (yet) for temporarily increasing cognitive-g, one's general performance on any IQ test, but specific IQ tests can be cheated with enough practice to gain about half of a standard deviation. This suggests that IQ is scarcely epigenetic as education accounts for the entirety of the flynn effect which has stopped in recent decades.

Being insecure about your intelligence is effectively like being insecure about your height. Perhaps its warranted, but there are decisions you can make that allow you to enjoy things that aren't morally reliant on you having a supercharged brain
>>
>>17335172
>decisions you can make that allow you to enjoy things that aren't morally reliant on you having a supercharged brain
>morally reliant

Herbert? Is that you?

http://ce.sharif.edu/~ghodsi/PaP/Sim-e-Commerce.pdf
>>
>>17335172
I know this; it doesn't really help because I don't know my IQ/intelligence in the first place. My insecurity stems from ambitions which require high intelligence.
>>
>>17335163
Yep, definitely start chess if you'll enjoy it.

Try this site: http://www.allpuzzles.net/wordpuzzles/lateralthinking/

creatingminds.org

/r/nootropics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpbMvXT5140
>>
>>17335205
As someone one else said in another thread earlier today.
>Diligence and perseverance most often gets you farther than intelligence.

Be ambitious. Work hard. Do everything you can. You'll learn in time just how intelligent you are.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.