[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I stop speaking "formally"? I had a talk with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: header-5120x.jpg (772 KB, 5120x3200) Image search: [Google]
header-5120x.jpg
772 KB, 5120x3200
How do I stop speaking "formally"?

I had a talk with a childhood friend about some problems I have had in getting to know people. He said that my issue is because in how I speak: its too formal.

For context I never use slang or cuss and he believed that from other people's view, it comes across as being 'on guard' and people would gradually drift away from me.

Truth is that I actually am due a fairly long history of being bullied in hobbies and school, but the speech mannerisms wasn't actually the intention.

Any advice?
>>
Be yourself.

Don't change who you are because your friend complained.

Maybe you need to look harder for the friends you seek.
>>
>>17334599
Well that kind of co-incides with another problem: I am 26, boring and nerdy. I have spent most of my life invested in games which made my already stunted social skills a bit greater. I can talk for ages about say games, academic things (I love Psychology for example and Philosophy). Small talk is something I struggle with bar the rare ocassion my mind is on the ball.

I am not in the best position to look for friends however and really, being myself hasn't helped in the past. I was the class clown in high school but that turned out the worst and my friends ended up being my bullies which left a dent in me for quite some time. I even changed schools. So generally I kept people at arms length. I am trying to undo that but lost how to exactly.
>>
Last bump.
>>
>>17334592
Talk to other people and adopt their way of speaking. Watch what abbreviations they use in text, their rhythm when speaking, etc.

Don't listen to >>17334599 unless you want to be the weird guy forever.
>>
>>17334599
>jus b urslef
I hate this meme
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.