[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How real is the concept of "passion" ? Have you found
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: Whiplash(2014).jpg (8 KB, 204x300) Image search: [Google]
Whiplash(2014).jpg
8 KB, 204x300
How real is the concept of "passion" ? Have you found something that you are genuinely passionate about?
>>
Yes.
>>
>>17333584
Can I ask what it is?
>>
Someone told me no, it isn't real. You just enjoy what you're good at. Or if you're shit at it, if you work at it and see improvement, you'll enjoy it too. Do it more and you'll enjoy it enough to call it a passion. Success is the biggest motivator, and lack of success is the biggest discouragement.
>>
>>17333584
Writing, ironically enough.
>>17333588
Whoever told you that either lacks a natural talent at literally everything, or they just haven't found their thing yet. They also sound like a sociopath. And I'd bet my firstborn child they need to wear a suit to work.
>>
>>17333611
meant to link
>>17333587
for the first part
>>
>>17333611
>And I'd bet my firstborn child they need to wear a suit to work.
This. A lot of disenchanted Western males suffer from this 'don't follow your passion' attitude. They basically chose to do some engineering major and try to justify this their entire lives by talking shit like 'talent doesn't exist', or 'passion doesn't exist'
>>
>>17333611
You're just mad someone holds a different opinion to you.

Natural talent is vastly overrated.

“After forty years of intensive research on school learning in the United States as well as abroad, my major conclusion is: What any person in the world can learn, almost all persons can learn, if provided with the appropriate prior and current conditions of learning.” He’s not counting the 2 to 3 percent of children who have severe impairments, and he’s not counting the top 1 to 2 percent of children at the other extreme… He is counting everybody else."

https://www.amazon.com/Mindset-Psychology-Success-Carol-Dweck/dp/0345472322/
>>
>>17333618
How do you explain Mozart or Picasso then?
>>
>>17333618
...why would I be mad? Beyond that, what the fuck does any of that have to do with what we're talking about?
>>
>>17333623
He's great, but his story is vastly romanticized.

https://www.amazon.com/Genius-All-Us-Insights-Genetics/dp/0307387305

"Still, like his sister, the young Mozart was never a truly great adult-level instrumentalist. He was highly advanced for his age, but not compared with skillful adult performers. The tiny Mozart dazzled royalty and was at the time unusual for his early abilities. But today many young children exposed to Suzuki and other rigorous musical programs play as well as the young Mozart did— and some play even better."
>>
>>17333630
Yes. But Mozart was mostly know as a composer and he composed his first piece when he was three years old, first opera at nine. How do you explain that then? Also some American best selling book is not a really good source.
>>
>>17333630
>But today many young children exposed to Suzuki and other rigorous musical programs

Exactly. Those kids have parents that are willing to sacrifice their child's happiness and sense of basic security and well-being just so they'll be good with a violin. Mozart could just pick it up and play.
>>
File: Flamenco_Final01.jpg (490 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Flamenco_Final01.jpg
490 KB, 1600x900
Mozart was part of the 1%, heck Im sure its not even that much.

For you, me and everyone else, this still holds true:
>>17333618
>>17333588
>>17333611

I really hate when people say "omg your so talented" No fuckwit, he works his/her ass off practicing.
Yes we have natural talents but when you get to pro-level artists, engineers, scientists, talent is irrelevant.
ALL of them got there with hard work, and you saying "oh no he had this genetic advantage" is only hurting your own chances, its pretty sad.
>>
>>17333576
I don't believe passion exists, I'm convinced it's merely a form of acting out for status.

I've never once in my life felt anything like motivation, reward or passion, life is just an endless calm water where you can pretend there's waves.
>>
>>17333950
This is bullshit. I do two majors, both with 3.8 GPA and I never work my ass off. Meanwhile a lot of my fellow students are struggling to become barely average. Some people are born with certain intellectual capabilities and can develop these capabilities by hard work, yes. However they NEED to be born with some sort of innate trait, which a lot of times we call 'talent'. A farmer hillbilly cannot become a Beethoven, not even if he is practising composing Romantic works 24/7.

I think this is just an excuse for untalented people, like you, to justify your hopes of becoming great one day.
>>
>>17333961
>I've never once in my life felt anything like motivation, reward or passion,
>therefore it doesn't exist
hm okay lel
>>
>>17333971
For something to exist you'd have to assume you'd experience it at least once, if only fleetingly.

I don't think passion exists, only strength and discipline. Those who are called passionate are simply better people than you who work through exactly your boredom and anxieties and are unphased by it.

Nothing is fun, for no one, but the strong don't let it get to them.

I do, which makes me lesser.
>>
>>17333970
We're talking about people who do great things.

The fact is, I've seen way more people with so-called 'talent' ending up as a failure because they rely on it, and get surpassed by the hard workers.

>A farmer hillbilly cannot become a Beethoven, not even if he is practising composing Romantic works 24/7.
Thats why I said Mozart was part of a truly gifted group, same DaVinci, etc.
See? You lack reading comprehension but still managed to get two majors, thats what Im talking about.
>>
>>17333981
>For something to exist you'd have to assume you'd experience it at least once, if only fleetingly.
What?
Cellphones don't exist then. There are people who never saw one; there people who never saw a mushroom or experienced love.
>>
>>17333992
You are mistaking talent for potentecial.
Given the same condition a person with talent will always surpass others without.
>>
>>17334009
I agree, but in real life, conditions are NEVER the same for everyone, there are just too many factors. Discipline and perseverance will surpass sheer talent most of the time.
>>
>>17334031
Not exactly the same but close to it a lot of the times.
You are adding 2 hard qualities to surpas one and even then sometimes it's not enough.
Most of the times, too, a person with talent will have discipline to improve because it's something natural for the person and they won't need perseverance because things will be easy.
Talent is just a much better quality, other qualities come with as a consequence of it and a talented person is still able to put as much effort as the other guy.
>>
>>17333996
I don't quite think love exists either, only codependency.

As for cellphones and whatnot, to Amazonian tribespeople they may as well not exist, practically anyway.
>>
>>17334054
You lack empathy and intelligence.
>>
>>17334031
>Discipline and perseverance will surpass sheer talent most of the time.
This is true. And a bitter lesson to learn for some.
>>
>>17334052
Welp, I don't think this will get us anywhere. Lets just agree that someone who is excellent at something has all of these qualities, meaning talent and hard work are both needed.

Really I just feel like people give too much credit to natural talent, its like someone who sees a great photography and just says "Wow your camera is so good" giving 0 credit to the person behind.
This belief also discourages people from following a passion, which was OPs topic, because this 'talent' is an obstacle outside their control, so they just give up without even trying.
>>
>>17334102
The thing about talent is that it has no drawbacks and makes it easier for other qualities to appear.
Sure it can suck for other people, but that is no reason do diminsh it.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.