[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I Need a Different Perspective
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: stethoscope-on-book-560.jpg (41 KB, 563x282) Image search: [Google]
stethoscope-on-book-560.jpg
41 KB, 563x282
I'm sure this isn't the best place to go for this, but I know some nurses, med students, etc. are on here.

I'm currently a college student, and at first I was set on going to medical school upon graduating. However, I've been shadowing my sister, a physician assistant, for a couple of months, and a lot of the doctors she works with are telling me to not go to medical school. After my first day shadowing surgery, the urologist asked what I was doing there, and she told him I was interested in medical school. The first thing he said was, "convince him not to go...it's a terrible decision." After talking to a few other doctors and surgeons at the office, they have all said similar things: "I wouldn't let my kid go to medical school," "don't go," and "it's financial suicide" are among the more popular lines. I've only met one doctor, a neurologist, who said to go, but he went to medical school out in the Caribbean, which is easier. A surgeon I talked to that said not to go didn't go to undergrad and went to straight to medical school after high school, so I kind of ignored his opinion.

Ideally after medical school and residency, I would like to become either an orthopedic surgeon or dermatologist. The issue there is I would have to be basically top in my class to get those residencies, which I think I'm capable of.

My primary concern is the financial burden of paying off medical school loans afterwards.

I have been considering pharmacy school for a while also. In high school, I had been set on becoming a pharmacist since freshman year; however, after taking an anatomy class junior year, I started considering becoming a doctor.

Another doctor I talked to mentioned going to PA school instead like my sister, which I'm now starting to think about as an alternative to medical school.

I'm curious as to what others have to say or have heard about medical school, pharmacy school, PA school, etc.

Thanks.
>>
I am a doctor. A young resident at that. Internal Medicine, so I'm used to being shit on at this point

1.)every generation always says "times have gotten bad compared to when I started".

2.)in the last 15 years ,there have been more dramatic, sweeping changes to the medical field in terms of bureauceacy, payment, expectations, autonomy, etc, then ever before ,so these old docs are right - medicine has changed, arguably not for the better (for the physician).

At the end of the day I love my job, despite how fucking stressful and at times unfufilling it may seem. I'm under no delusion I'm somehow "more special" than the average person (which is maybe how some older doctors felt).

if you can find personal satisfaction from the field (where there is basically endless learning... Some don't like that ), you can enjoy it. I like the challenge, the detective work, and at the end of the day, you are the one responsible everything... You're still the captain of the ship.

Some don't like that stress, and the very high stakes it entails. You gotta bring your all everyday. And after all these years that can be very taxing. Just have to find a work /life balance that works for you.

Its expensive though.. See if you are good enough to get a scholarship. I don't know much about that, my dad paid for my need school, so I am very lucky.
>>
I thought about going to medical school, then I realized I had no money and wasn't willing to take out loans. I may reconsider in a few years if I can save up some money, but probably not. PA school or optometry school don't sound so bad. Even a nurse can make a decent living.

Just remember, to be accepted into medical school you need a high GPA, good MCAT score, letters of recommendation, and clinical experience.
>>
almost every MD ive ever met has told me that I should pursue a career in medicine, so I really don't understand your situation.
could it possibly be that they dont think youd like it? or that you wouldnt make it?

there are also other science based fields you can persue with a pre-med undergraduate degree...
>>
>>17331890

1) I am disappointed this didn't turn out to be a wincest story.

2) Fuck the money OP, do what you love. If you're not down to heal people then go fuck yourself. We have enough money hungry doctors in the world who view patients as dollar signs instead of real people. The fact that you can't choose between surgeon, derm, or a pharmacist [three very different proficiencies] shows that you're a self-centered, money hungry adolescent who doesn't belong in medicine. Fuck you, fuck big pharma, reconsider your career path and also consider killing yourself.

>>17332062

I have only read the first line of this post, but fuck you too anon.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.