[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Interviewing for an introvert
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (69 KB, 640x457) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69 KB, 640x457
After several interviews and zero solid offers I'm starting to think my problem is my personality. I tested as INTJ, and even though the field I picked is supposedly safe for introverts I feel like my personality type is hurting me. How should I be normie as possible in interviews?
I tried drinking coffee and meditating beforehand.
>>
>I'm starting to think my problem is my personality
Well yeah, if your entire personality is 'introvert' then you don't really have a personality to begin with. Employers don't want someone with no personality
>>
>>17331712
>Employers don't want someone with no personality

Actually, they want someone who's competent at what they're supposed to be doing. So unless he's applying for a leadership position, or something with a media presence, or customer service that goes beyond ringing shit up on a cash register or answering support tickets, then having "no personality" shouldn't matter.
>>
>>17331835
Someone with no personality isn't going to be good at working in a team, or talking to people. Someone with no personality will bring the atmosphere of the workplace down and perhaps make others uncomfortable. There are plenty of people who are competent enough to do jobs, why would they choose someone like OP over someone with a personality?
>>
>>17331863
I'm getting the impression that for you "no personality" means "giving off a vibe like he's gonna shoot up the place sooner or later", whereas for me it's more like "eats lunch alone and doesn't do small-talk".
>>
I'm INTJ as well and had difficulties with interview in the past. INTJ has many traits that certainly will hurt you, but two of the key traits are practicality and the ability to learn. It's not about supressing the 'bad' traits, but embracing your logical and practical side. Don't lie about who you are, but assume the role that is needed for the task. Don't think about 'they want me to be someone I not', but rather, 'I can be who they need me to be.'

Also, look up power poses and do them before your interviews.
>>
fellow INTJ here -

the truth is that most people hire others based on how much they like eachother. Interviewers generally hire the applicant that they can see themselves having positive working relationship with.

your goal should be to quickly read (based on the interviewer's body language) how extroverted they are and change your level of friendliness accordingly.
Do things like smile when they talk and be very interested in them as an individual. Tell them that you have hobbies that are generally relate-able and potential conversation starters like "I like to read _____ novels. But right now i'm crazy about game of thrones" and then follow up with an interesting statement about how it differs from the TV show.

INTJs are fucking amazing workers in general and any employer would be happy to have you - but we give off terrible first impressions. Ive been called cold and robotic a lot myself. I think a lot of it comes down to that our deeply introverted natures make us difficult to read. You have to essentially LEARN how to act in a way that people find easy to relate to. Which all-in-all can be a very rewarding process
>>
out of curiosity what job are you looking for?
Most other INTJs I know either work in STEM or the financial sector.
>>
>>17332136
Finance/accounting
>>
File: 1466630481399.jpg (5 KB, 205x246) Image search: [Google]
1466630481399.jpg
5 KB, 205x246
At least you aren't INFP.
>>
I'm supposedly an INTJ too, and several people have said I fit the profile to a T but MBTI is literally meme tier and you're better off not living your life based on an online quiz.
>>
I can relate to this as I am a solid INTJ and have been so all my life. The trick I have found that works best for me is to lay everything out on the table from the start. I view interviews as an equal opportunity for both parties.

They can interview me and I give them direct answers to any questions they ask. Afterwards I follow up immediately with questions of my own about the work place, the culture, etc. to see if I would even enjoy working there. As an INTJ, your workplace environment will mean A LOT for both your happiness and overall satisfaction. Nothing is worse than dreading a bad workplace environment as an INTJ because you will focus on it. So choose a niche wisely.

I find interviewing them also gives them more of a sense that you actually are interested and serious about pursuing a job/career with that company. If you do this part though, make sure to actually read up on the company and what they do, how they came about, etc. so you don't look like a jackass.

All I got. Good luck.
>>
>>17331699
I didn't talk to anyone from grade 8 to 12 by choice and got a job on my first interview. Research the questions they'll probably ask and give the answers they want, I only did this for thirty minutes and then walked to the interview.
>>
There's a lot of good advice in this thread. But I think that the best advice is to not let yourself get too intimidated during interview process. You are in a place where the interviewer is comfortable and therefor you should feel comfortable too. There is something unsettling about talking to a person who is obviously anxious, so I think allowing yourself to be comfortable in an interview setting should be your top priority. I would practice by just imagining the scenario in my mind over and over.
>>
I'm an INTJ too OP. Even though I absolutely fucking hate having to interact with you humans most of the time, I kinda learned how to fake it. Just look at the interviewer straight in the eyes, have a good posture and calmly answer whatever he asks you. Mind your body language and speech tone.
>>
>>17331699
I also tested INTJ, that said don't limit your own abilities by some quiz

And read this
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnum_effect
>>
>>17331699
My friends and I used to be super autistic about Meyers-Briggs stuff and would type people for fun in high school. We prided ourselves on being N-type master race above all the lowly S-type plebs.

That being said, don't think that because of a set of letters you got from a test that you can't change yourself and become a complex, multifaceted human being. Nobody acts within the parameters of a single personality type.

If you want to be more engaging with other people and less introverted, learn to do it. Don't limit yourself because you've determined that you're to act a certain way.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.