[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /adv/, any polylinguals here? I am fluent in Spanish and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
Hey /adv/, any polylinguals here?

I am fluent in Spanish and English, but as I'll be a political science major and wanting to be involved with politics, what are some good languages to learn? Italian looks very easy, but I feel it wouldn't be as important as Russian or Ukranian.

Also, do you guys have tips for learning more than one language at a time?

Thank you.
>>
Mandarin and Arabic. Russian looks to be more attractive these days, too. Maybe Farsi.
>>
I would avoid taking two languages that are similar on at once. When I was learning french and spanish I would often find myself using french words when speaking spanish and vice versa. Luckily I was still understood most of the time.

I'd look into Russian, Arabic and Mandarin.
>>
>>17331961
I'll highly consider Mandarin, but likely, it'll be Russian. Arabic is far too complicated for me currently
Do you have any experience with those?

>>17331971
I agree, but I notice there are a lot of words that look the same in the Romantic languages
>>
>>17331407
I fluently speak Russian, French, and English, I have a good base in Spanish, and started learning Japanese. If you lose learning languages simply get involved with people that speak it.
>>
>>17331989
what did you speak natively? I'll probably pick up French
>>
>>17331983
I learned Mandarin in the army and had a linguist MOS. I knew people in training who were learning Arabic and Russian as well. Arabic is considered the same difficulty as Mandarin (category 4) for a native English speaker by the US government. Russian is a cat 3 language. Cat 4 languages are 63 week courses, while cat 3 are 52 weeks. I don't know how useful that information is for you, but there it is.
>>
>>17332084
How hard was it to learn man? Thanks for the advice
>>
>>17331407
>polylinguals
It's "polyglot" you ass.
>>
>>17332111
Cat 4 are typically the most difficult. We out of a class of 30, maybe twenty of the original group finished. Some were completely removed from the course, while others were allowed to cycle into other classes not as far along as ours. I don't remember exactly. It was over a decade ago.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.