[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I'm starting really late, but I want to get involved
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
So I'm starting really late, but I want to get involved in medical school, still not sure what I want to do but I really gotta start working towards an actual career. I'm thinking eventually surgery would be cool, and I"m somewhat aware of the stresses involved. However, to begin and just get my feet in the door I was thinking of working towards being a paramedic. Is this a good start in a more advanced career path? I see the pay isn't great, it's pretty close to what I"m doing now so that part I'm not as worried about.

Anyway, how does paramedic work in the scale of getting my foot into the medical world? How retarded do I sound even considering this?
>>
Yeah, paramedic/EMT work is a great way to get some practical hands-on experience.

Do you have an undergrad degree? Did you take biology/chemistry courses?
>>
>>17330584
I've been coasting part time school for the past 3 or 4 semesters just working on basic classes, so I did get biology 101 out of the way, haven't done anything with chemistry yet, but looking to get registered for the next semester and need to make some decisions pretty quick here before I get to that procrastination stage. I might take a little more than part time this semester just to get me geared for having to start working a lot harder with my education and career for the first time ever. Taking classes at a community college and I'm 27 for whatever that means in the field. Is following the AAS degree program the best idea or is just a COC better for some reason?
>>
>>17330561

I'm an EMT, Op. Ask me some questions. I personally think it's silly for you to do it if you're shooting for Medical. But it's not unheard of for Medics to go to Med School after they burn out on the rig.
>>
>>17330622
Basically the medical field as a whole interests me and always has but I'm not decided on something specific I'd like to do. I am very interested in doing surgery though I'd like to get more exposed to what i'm going to have to deal with and find out if it's something I can handle. EMT seems like a decent base because it doesn't take 8+ years to get into and figured it would open more opportunities compared to the lack of any I have now in a reasonable timeframe.
>>
>>17330646

If you're looking into surgery you'll want to start looking around at the hospitals and seeing their requirements. My EMT license really only allows me to work on a rig or in the ER as a tech. Check the listings for jobs or call the local hospital and ask them.
>>
I know that for actual surgeon it would take a while to not only gain the education, but I'd be going in with no experience at all. Why do you think EMT is a bad move to do until I earn the full education to do something that requires a lot of education? Or are you more saying it's not a good use of time when I could be doing school elsewhere.
Currently I work for a small business not doing anything but earning a crap salary, no experience or anything to help me towards a long term career or anything in medicine, so I was just looking for something that I could working on both for pay as well as the educational pathway if that makes sense.
>>
>>17330695

Start looking for volunteer or a entry level position at the hospital is what i'd recommend. Work experience is going to look a lot better than EMS experience.
>>
>>17330749
Didn't consider that, the problem with volunteer is I need to maintain my current job to get by, so even anything entry level would have to pay at least equal to what I have now, but if literally anything works there, then maybe I can try to get a decent reception job or something with a great recommendation from where I'm currently employed.
When you mention work experience, you mean just being in the hospital is better than having experience and training with EMS? Or looking for a position with like assistant or RN or something
>>
>>17330561
>that dude who always talked about being an EMT

yeah you'll end up smoking weed daily and mooching off of women your whole life.
>>
>>17330769

All of that. Volunteer in what spare time you have or find some sort of hospital work. EMT will take you roughly 4-6 months and that's 4-6 months that you'll be wasting on a certification that'll run out in a year to two. Try to find some part time/volunteer work.
>>
>>17330782
so it was kind of a silly idea like you mentioned earlier to consider it if I was going med. I've been digging around and see there's a degree in surgical technology that would help get me into some entry level positions likely as an assistant. I know I would need to call the local hospitals to find out if they care about that (not sure what precisely to ask) but in your opinion would that be a better course to take? Either way I have to get signed up for classes, but I want to make them count instead of changing my major again before semester.
>>
>>17330801

Yes. That'd probably get you a lot farther.
>>
EMTs have one of the lowest qualities of life. Shit pay and PTSD inducing work. Also med schools really hate people who coast so your best bet is to take full semesters and ace all the classes.
>>
>>17330856
well when I say coast, i just meant more for my general education at my community college. But I'm sure you're right on the whole, and am going to start moving my ass on this. Thanks for all your help you guys. any other advice will be gladly taken.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.