[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Critique my resume
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: black_resume.png (121 KB, 931x976) Image search: [Google]
black_resume.png
121 KB, 931x976
Please keep in mind that I'm a poorfag. I worked to pay my way through college (even as inexpensive as cuny). The resume is targeted towards internships.
>>
>>17330335
You could use some filler in there. It generally gets overlooked by employers, but it will fill that resume out a little.
Fluff it up.
>>
>>17330335
You look overqualified.
>>
>>17330335
Dijkstra has a typo in your resume
>>
The description, either "answering/placing" should be "answer/place" to follow on as a list as new concepts in addition customer service after "provide," or the oxford comma after "inquiries" should be removed so that "answering" and "placing" are grouped together as examples of customer service after "provide."

>This position required me to provide excellent customer service, answer customer inquiries, and often place items on hold or on order for said customer.
>This position required me to provide excellent customer service, answering customer inquiries and often placing items on hold or on order for said customer.
>>
>>17330335
Just stay at Home Depot, my man.
>>
I don't know if resumes are different, but with CVs I know you should write a little bit which proves that you have the skills you say you have. That's more directed to the 'strengths' part of your skills and experience rather than in general, but you could also write how much experience you have with the programs and languages you have
>>
>>17330489
Ikr
>>
>>17330335
Get help though the career center at your school to make a resume since you really have very little idea on how to do it
>>
Your resume isn't as important as networking and selling yourself. If you have any relatives or professors who have connections in the industry, use them. Almost everyone I know started their professional careers by knowing someone.
>>
I really, really hate that template.

Like "into the trash it goes" hate
>>
>>17331658
This is what I came up with after following their direction
>>17331666
Thanks for the advice
>>17331674
I agree its a little rough around the edges. Someone suggest one please :3
>>
>>17331750
>I agree its a little rough around the edges. Someone suggest one please :3
Ditching the tables/textboxes, or at least making the lines invisible, would make a world of difference
>>
>>17331387
well It help me to graduate from a top 50 college without a single penny of debt. I'm a tad bit loyal
>>
I go to hunter too! I fucking hate it
>>
>>17330335
mysql isn't a language. one could argue that it's some kind of sql dialect but still, ...
just write SQL, mysql isn't used that heavily anymore anyway and some HR idiot could think that you only know mysql and not postgre, oracle, etc

android sdk is a sdk, not a language.

no one applying to any cs/it related job would list html or xml.

the path finding algorithm part is bad too. every cs student has done something like that on a much bigger scale in their algorithms and datastructuces 1 class.

you should mention your BA thesis instead.

there is no link to your git repo. for all projects you list you should provide a link to the git repo
>>
Keep the tables (they are convenient for formatting when you need to update), but make the borders invisible.
>>
File: Untitled.png (54 KB, 693x898) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
54 KB, 693x898
>>17332063
Better?
>>17332017
Github link is at the top of the page. And the resume is geared towards webdev.
>>
>>17332204
>Better?
Not that anon, but it's way worse. Bulletpoints were fine, you didn't need to go and put it in a table. You're using tables and textboxes unnecessarily.
>>
>>17330351
Fluffing is an art. I'll try filling it in some more with freelance stuff.
>>
>>17332204
if it's geared towards webdev you are expected to know html anyway. everyone knows html. if you know html5 shit, than you could mention that (mostly because hr guys like it), otherwise, no need to mention it.

and provide links to the github project for every project, embed the link within the project name/title so that they can easily click on it.

and for gods sake, replace mysql with sql
you could list pl/sql if you know it.

oh, and those grey bards with the titles for each section just look off. either make them the same size as the tables and add a border, or just drop them and change the fontsize
>>
File: 1458706007554.png (492 KB, 1000x488) Image search: [Google]
1458706007554.png
492 KB, 1000x488
>>17330335
>tfw you didn't learn coding in college
>tfw you learned science instead
>>
>>17332204
No, I meant you need to make the table boarders invisible so the finished product does not look like you used tables even though you did.
>>
File: Untitled.png (47 KB, 695x840) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
47 KB, 695x840
>>17332208
Last try for tonight. Rid of tables. Look wayy cleaner.
>>
>>17332314
I told you. Now just put your GPA under your school name and move the description of your job duties underneath the name of the position, possibly as bulletpoints. I didn't mind the grey rectangles around the headings btw, I think they divided up the sections nicely.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.