[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career choice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
File: turning-forces.png (19 KB, 319x250) Image search: [Google]
turning-forces.png
19 KB, 319x250
Hello
Long post but no shorter way to make the situation clear.

I am currently reading for a Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering with honours, and have just finished my first year, with three years to go. Engineering has been my passion my whole life and I have always been inclined towards figuring out how things work and how they can be improved and manufactured.

The catch is, engineering doesn't pay for shit where I'm from and my second interest is dentistry, which happens to pay much more than engineering since a dentist can practice independently. Private practice in engineering is basically non existant and will put me in a life of constantly kissing some guy's ass who has a three year B.Com degree, doesn't understand shit about how the product works and gets paid three times what I get paid. Choosing to go down the path of dentistry will put me three years back, as I need to re do my A levels in Chem and Bio (current being Maths and Physics), I will need to get them a high grade, probably both A's and I will have to pass through an interview. That's two years plus 5 years of B.Ch.D. A good booster is that my father is a dentist and will be able to help me through.

So that is 3 further years of engineering vs. 7 years for dentistry. I am 19. My A level Maths is A and Physics is B.

What do you think /adv/ ? Cheers.
>>
Don't look for the best value/effort, but for the absolute most valuable choice. If dentistry definitely gets you paid more and perhaps gets you a greater chance at getting a job (because of your father for instance), then choose dentistry. Setting yourself back 3 years might feel devastating though, but you'll just have to pull through like a fucking trooper. You can always find a good hobby if engineering is your passion.

This is of course, if you know dentistry will be the better option in the long run.
>>
>>17327711
I disagree with this, wealth is important but you shouldn't pursue a career you have no passion for just because it pays well. Though the pay:hours worked ratio for dentists is truly insane. It takes a lot of school though.
>>
I'm a musician, and I'm gonna say follow your passion. If your passion is arguing with a moron CEO about engineering budgets, then go with engineering. If your passion is having a safe career with good income, then go with dentistry.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.