[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Self-improvement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: 1467755389825.jpg (60 KB, 650x500) Image search: [Google]
1467755389825.jpg
60 KB, 650x500
How do I start improving myself? I want to be stronger and smarter, but I always just end up drinking beers, smoking pot, and browsing 4chan. I've been through a few major depressive episodes and feel pretty good about life now, but feeling better and being better are two different things.

How do I start on the path of self improvement (and stick to it)?

Personal experience, recommended reading, or anything else on the subject are all greatly welcomed.
>>
>>17327428

Start lifting. Seriously. Or any exercise for that matter, as it will dump good feeling hormones in your brain. Eat better, lift more and read good books that interest you. Find a hobby you enjoy and do it, with or without others approval or company. Be your own person, grow as an individual.
>>
>>17327477
Nice dubs anon, and thanks for the response.

I want to do all of that, but I'm having a hard time breaking the behavioral patterns I've set up for myself. Overcoming the initial anxiety of "going out and doing" has always been an issue for me, even though I'm fine once I'm there.

You got a favorite book?
>>
>>17327510

I just read "ready player one" and was enthralled by it. Fantastic read to get away from life for a while.

I know full well the struggle of not being able to get out. I have anxiety that gets worse and better sporadically, but you have to just realize that no one at a gym is going to judge you for trying to improve yourself. If they do, they're a waste of oxygen. Just get out, meet some gymbros and lift to good music
>>
>>17327539
I'll check it out, sci-fi is by far my favorite genre and I've been looking to read some more contemporary stuff.

Do you think taking a weight training class at the local CC would be a wise idea? I'm not weak but I have zero experience lifting.
>>
>>17327578

I would say to check out /fit/ but they're kinda retarded as of late. Just look up a simple program to get you started and watch how-to's on youtube. Starting strength is a good one to get you going. By the time you want a better program, you'll have the knowledge to find one that fits you and your goals.

Sci-fi is also my favorite!
>>
>>17327578
I don't want to barge into this convo, but just go to the gym bro.
No one there gives a fuck what your doing, and if they do it's only because your form is bad and they are doing you a favor by telling you to fix it. I've been lifting more than 4 years now and just last week had someone tell me to fix my form on a workout. No one cared outside of a "hey dude, you're using a little too much 'x' here" and that was it.
Not saying thats your concern either, but I never really get why new gym people think everyone is looking at them or something.
>>
>>17327594
Thanks anon, I'm motivated, I'm gonna do it. You should read some Philip K. Dick if you haven't, one of the Gods of the genre.
>>
File: 1458782683138.jpg (75 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1458782683138.jpg
75 KB, 640x1136
>>17327594
Brah
>>
File: 1323022831160.jpg (931 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1323022831160.jpg
931 KB, 1920x1080
>>17327649

Brah
>>
>>17327620
Barge on in anon, the more the merrier. That initial anxiety is what keeps me out of the gym, it never occurred to me that people actually don't give a shit. Also good to hear that people will call out bad form.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.