[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible with a lot of free time to learn to play the piano
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 2016-07-05-15-44-16-2078225575.jpg (7 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-05-15-44-16-2078225575.jpg
7 KB, 275x183
Is it possible with a lot of free time to learn to play the piano by ear using only online resources, without a teacher?
>>
>>17326942

possible yes. plausible, no. ideally you should get some very basic piano lessons for someone to catch you up to the point where you can play a song that requires your hands to be doing two different things at the exact same time.

once you break that point you can pretty much learn on your own. if ur not dedicated to pay 15 bucks a week for some basic ass lessons than you aren't dedicated enough to learn on your own anyway.
>>
>>17326942
Do you have rhythm? Piano is very difficult because not only are you dealing with counter point, and counter melody very early on you're also incorporating poly rhythms quite quickly
>>
>>17326942
Most definitely.

I never had a teacher and I've been playing for about 10 years now, YouTube is your friend, eventually you'll start to notice patterns, you'll know what I mean when it happens, but yeah, you most definitely can, it just comes down to persistence.
>>
If you actually want this, rather than it being a distant fantasy, then put in the work and do it. Piano is quite easy in my opinion, but I advise you to watch videos of people playing and try to emulate their technique. Dont play with flat fingers, curl them and play with the tips of them. Focus on dynamics and feeling too, thats important. Use a metronome to give you a strong sense of rhythm. When youre a few months in, learn pedal technique.

The most important thing is to push yourself and practise often. Practise hard. Dont be sloppy. If you cant play something 5 times in a row perfectly, you cant play it well enough, and youre likely to embarrass yourself if you play it in front of family and friends.
>>
>>17326942
Yes, remember to play technical exercises everyday before you start. It is 2016, there is youtube, forums, guides all available. Use those resources. All that is stopping you from learning to play is yourself. Just be disciplined and stay motivated. After a couple of years you will improve like mad.

I play classical guitar from self-learning. Pro-tip: record yourself, find your flaws and always aim to improve your play. Good luck.
>>
Self taught boogie woogie pianist. Started off playing a neighbor's piano he dumped off into the street with a free sign on it. I didn't have a lick of musical education then, I dragged it home and started playing from there. 4 years later and I'm still an amateur but I can play tunes I never dreamed I'd be playing. I may not be able to read sheet music that great but that's my own fault for not practicing that particular aspect enough.

As said before, this is 2016, anyone can pick up any hobby and become reasonably proficient in it using the myriad of resources available to us.

Piano is incredibly easy IMO because the notes are all laid out quite plainly. It is the ultimate instrument to learn music theory on, hands down. If you are going to seriously begin playing piano I can't stress enough to not settle for a garbage plastic keyboard with non weighted keys. Shell out a few hundred bucks and get yourself a halfway decent beginner's digital piano with weighted keys.

Start off learning how to construct a major scale, practice that scale and watch simple children's song tutorials on youtube. Things like Frere Jacques, real simple tunes. It will all begin to piece together when you get to things like playing a simple blues progression. That was a big "aha!" moment for me when I got my first bassline down to the proper chord changes and began learning some simple licks in the blues scale.

As with anything, skill isn't built over night. It takes time for sure, but it mostly takes dedication. I can personally guarantee you if you practice 45 minutes to and hour and a half a day, practicing appropriate material for your skill level, you will learn to play piano.

Remember, playing music is a life-long hobby. As a hobbyist musician you will always be finding different ways to play better!

Best of luck my friend. If you decide to get into boogie woogie at all check out Brendan Kavanagh on youtube. Fantastic resource for learning boogie woogie style piano.
>>
No one's talked about this, so I will. You're going to want to practice hearing pitch. Tuning by ear, if you can do it, helps quite a bit in this department. You have to know what a C sounds like and be able to pick out a C B E A sort of progression in order to play it yourself. That's how some people transpose music.

I used to be able to tune my instrument by ear. Figured out how to play the Simpsons theme song by ear once.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.