[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can't keep a social relationship for the long-run
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
I'm great with people, I'm socially aware and perhaps have some charisma.
When I'm with a group of people I act like on a stage, I can steal the show - show exactly enough of myself to keep people interested but not tired of me, run into and keep the limelight.
Make them laugh, make everyone laugh, keep a high-profile image of myself.

But then comes the moment when the social gathering is over and everyone goes home, everyone keeps talking with each other and I practically disappear. They don't hear from me, they assume I have a life.
I do my best to screen an image of a great social persona but I just can't keep a single friend.

Put me in a room with somebody for an hour, I will entertain him and make a friend. That hour is over, that connection dies.
At places I am literally popular, at home I'm an abandoned and forgotten stray cat.
The game of establishing a strong image for myself brings me to the point where I become a detached friend who never messages, never keeps a friend. This extreme social awareness and fear of ruining an image makes me unable to evem send a whatsapp message.

What can an anon do to overcome this?
>>
>>17319955
so you just don't keep in contact with people, and you wonder why they don't keep in contact with you?

what image could you possibly have to maintain that prevents you from sending a message? because the only image you're presenting is that of someone who's too stuck up to message anybody.
>>
>>17319955
Why would they want to hang out with anyone who acts like their on a stage and "stealing the show."? Stop pretending social gatherings are your place to outshine everyone else.

Nobody wants to be friends with someone who just grabs all the attention then bails. You should cut all that shit out fast.
>>
>>17319955
It's because you THINK you're stealing the show. In reality all you're doing is providing a temporary distraction and failing to make an actual connection with people.
>>
>>17319967
>>17319970
>reply on the stage thing
I knew someone would take it out of meaning, don't take it that literally since it isn't like that. I'm not actually stealing stage, it was a metaphor to emphasize how well I do with people, to later shallow or kill all of that connection by being extremely detached. Like appearing and then completely disappearing.

>>17319981
Thing is, what I wrote was specifically about a social gathering I went to about a month ago which emphasized everything pretty well. These were new people, I seemingly did very very well with almost all of them - I felt very integrated.
Once it was over, I was one of the few who could not keep in touch.

I actually felt like I've made actual connection with people, about as much as most of them who kept in touch later did.
The issue was that after it was over, it all 'died' there.
>>
>>17319998
Again, it died there because you failed to make a real connection. Even something as simple as "hey, let's go out one day" or "let's talk more about ____, add me on Facebook" can lead to a long, healthy social relationship. It seems like you're just the guy that needs to be the life of the party. Thing is, that guy becomes very transparent as we all get older.
>>
>>17319955
Sounds a bit covert schizoid to me. I was like this back when I did competitive debate.

>>17319970
Nope, people like it. Trust me.
People are happy to have the burden of carrying the conversation/group taken off their shoulders.
>>
>>17320009
Thanks, that's pretty much really true.
For the life of me, I actually find it really hard to say "hey, let's go out one day", it's likely that I'm afraid to get personal.
^ actually thought about it now, the getting personal thing, taking down the "barriers" etc, feels like that's the (at least part of the) issue.
>>
I am and I feel the exact same way except I'm a hot girl. I don't even keep in touch with other girls and I rarely go out with guys. However, when I'm out in a social setting I am the center of attention 95 percent of the time.
>>
>>17320107
>I am the center of attention 95 percent of the time

yeah, cut that shit out
>>
>>17319955
I feel you bro, you just described me minus the being good in a group.

I'm successful in my career, an development team leader at 25, got money, good looks, and generally tactful and intelligent.

What I think it is for me is that from a young age I was not given an option to be myself and was always judged
by my parents and sister on every single word that I said, I had to learn to calculate everything that comes out of my mouth.
Being rejected and called on your mistakes endlessly also made me very insecure and I can never feel like I'm imposing myself on someone,
meaning I would never ask someone if they want to hang out because I always feel like it's obvious that they wouldn't and I would
simply be imposing myself on them.

I don't have answers, maybe my shit will help you shed light on yours.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.