[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm leaving my old home in a super liberal city soon to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: Texas.png (86 KB, 2000x1952) Image search: [Google]
Texas.png
86 KB, 2000x1952
I'm leaving my old home in a super liberal city soon to spend 3 months in the Texas. Are the horror stories I keep hearing true? Is it as backwards as the stories lead me to believe?
>>
its worse
>>
>>17318270
To be fair, unless there are bugs the size of horses flying around, and everyone is just constantly shooting at each other, I'm not sure it can be worse.
>>
>>17318255
ive been here 28 years and never had a problem
>>
>>17318393
an example of the problem, a texan so brainwashed he assumes there is no problem because he knows nothing else
>>
What part of Texas?

I lived many years in Houston and then moved to backwoods East Texas where on the first day of my new job, the HR lady asks, "So where do you go to church?"

"I don't really go to church."

"Oh, you've got to go to church."

"No, I'm pretty sure I don't."

All this as the President of the small manufacturing place (who was a decent guy showing me the place and introducing me around) looks on nervously.
>>
>>17318437
I'm fucked.
>>
>>17318255
What horror stories? It's a really good state imo, just being invaded by liberals more recently because of the job opportunities moving there. It depends on where you're going: Houston, Austin, Dallas, Fort Worth, etc.
>>
>>17318455
Pretty sure I fall soundly into that category. I'm pretty damn liberal, and I'm going there for an internship.
>>
>>17318255
Its a huge state you need to be way more specific
>>
Big city? Backwoods?

In the big cities, nobody much cares.
>>
>>17318472
>>17318467
Dallas Texas.
>>
>>17318255

>Are the horror stories I keep hearing true? Is it as backwards as the stories lead me to believe?
I'm not sure which horror stories you've heard, but I'm a bicoastal leftist (born in MA, lived in and still spend lots of time for work in NYC, full-time resident of CA) who has spent time in the Lone Star State; I also have Texan friends in California and some family there (my father is originally from New Mexico and has relatives all over the greater Southwest).

It's a mixed bag. Austin is very well educated and, correspondingly, relatively liberal (communist by Texan standards). There are pockets of liberalism (and, again not really coincidentally, cultural interest) in pretty much all the bigger cities (I've never actually visited Houston, but assume it to be true for them as it is for the other big towns). But the state overall is definitely noticeably right-leaning, gun-owning, religious, and weirdly obsessed with high school football. And in part because it's so huge, it's home to a lot of people who haven't spent much time outside the state and have very patriotic ideas about Texan superiority that come off as kind of provincial if you're not from there.

But the food is quite good, cost of living is cheap, and even the most extreme of the provincial right-wing Jesus-enthusiast NRA members you might meet is likely to be surprisingly polite. Don't pick fights about politics or tip your fedora too hard and it's easy to have a pleasant time there.
>>
Dallas won't be too bad.
>>
>>17318478
>weirdly obsessed with high school football
Yes, this is very true. I never got it, but it seems like many people follow the games, sometimes more so than college ones.

>>17318477
Oh you're good then. Just be careful in some southern areas of Dallas, but northern areas are pretty decent.
>>
>>17318478
what's wrong with guns?
>>
>>17318255
Depends on where you go. Austin, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio are the not-so-backwards parts of Texas. I was born in SA, moved around a lot, and it's not much different from any big northern city (aside from the weather and the creatures that will kill and eat you).
>>
>>17318507
SA native. Ive never seen any wild animals beside sneks and deer.
>>
>>17318512
It's mostly the scorpions and giant fire ants. They were everywhere. EVERYWHERE.
>>
>>17318499
I actually think firearms are fairly interesting and shooting is enjoyable, and I don't believe in picking fights about politics. I was mostly pointing out that Texas will be gunnier than whatever liberal place OP comes from.

But since you asked, my main problem with guns is how they kill 90-odd people per day in the United States, most of whom didn't need killing and some of whom are children. My kids are more likely to get shot than kids in literally every other developed country, which I can't feel OK about.
>>
>>17318524
You do know those stats include suicides right, I hardly think its fair to blame guns for that. As for kids shooting eachother, yeah its a problem I agree, and it mostly comes down to dumbasses not locking up their guns and leaving them where their kids can get at them but what can you do about that? Dumbasses will be dumbasses and regrettably I don't think any laws outside of barring gun ownership can change that. Just educate your own kids as well as you can that guns aren't toys and if another kid ever starts playing with one to leave and tell an adult.
>>
Honestly people having lived in Texas, people are nicer there than northerners, people in New York are just assholes, i know when i to other places people ask if everyone has a horse or a ranch which is clearly not true. Austin is full of hipsters, the city is nice with a good night life but of course then you get people like the other anon that act all smug about it
>>
>>17318255

wow... a thread on Texas. I was just thinking about strong Christianity in the south.
A lot of people say Texas is a lot like its own country. Religious southerners currently hold resentment for Americans from other states due to their 'Godlessness' and the current state of the economy. Being God-loving & hard-working conservatives, for a long-time, southerners left much of the responsibility in relation to the direction the USA should take to the Northern States and the West Coast - this belief, combined with religion not being as strong in these other states sort of leads to the conclusion that 'Godlessness' is the root cause of the economic strife.
If you'll notice, everyone is saying to go to the big cities since they are, naturally, more liberal in-nature.
Also, as "In God We Trust" is the nation's motto, Religious Southerners also think they are the only 'true' americans left. It's very odd.. but I kind of understand where they are coming from.
>>
Living in Texas all my life I can tell you for one don't go getting into political and religious discussions if you want people to respect you. Of course the state is huge and there's a ton of different types of people living throughout it, but it's generally a bad idea to go against the common religious and political ideals many people here have. I've had several good friends who were hardcore Texan pride, Christian, Conservative, Republicans, walking stereotypes, that were legitimately great people, people here are generally very nice as long as you don't push your views onto them. I've been living in Houston the latter half of my life and a South western city called Corpus Christi the first half, and I can tell you first hand that the people are very different depending on the area. Corpus Christi and most of Southwest texas is filled with Mexicans, a surprising number of those Mexicans are wannabee druglord gangsters who think they still live in mexico, but the Americanized ones are luckily more common and a lot of them I've met are probably the most genuine people I've met, my best friends I still talk to from Corpus are Mexicans, so generally don't be intimidated by Mexicans if they can speak proper English. Another big group you'll find in texas are hipster liberals which are primarily in Austin and a few areas in the big cities like Dallas and Houston. Houston is very spread out and the community I live in now is very white, political views are really mixed here but I can sincerely say I wasn't able to keep a friendship with a single outspoken liberal, they are some of the most self centered generally terrible humans I have met, even though I had more connections to them in terms of political views I really can't stand them, try not to be one of those. Basically Texas is a mixed bag but if you don't go being a outspoken fedoralord you will find a suprising number of nice people.
>>
>>17318593
people in new york aren't assholes, that's a common misconception, we're just very focused on doing our own thing and because of that wont so much as look at you. Its not about trying to be rude or self obsessed, its about personal space and it goes both ways.

I remember hearing a joke once that if the person sitting next to you on the subway was on fire you'd get mad at them because you have to work harder to ignore them.
>>
>>17318437
I love in east texas and you just condemned yourself son

don't admit to be an atheist in the arklatex
>>
>>17318560
Don't forget that about a quarter of US gun violence is gang related (a fair amount being collateral damage). Kids in LA and Detroit have to sleep in the bathtub
>>
>>17318524
Yet you didn't care enough to read the source behind the statistics, which happen to mention that the majority of those deaths are suicides.

Well done.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.