[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any of you ever feel like your relationship with your parents
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: czbrcygeyf.png (46 KB, 172x171) Image search: [Google]
czbrcygeyf.png
46 KB, 172x171
Any of you ever feel like your relationship with your parents is extremely superficial?
Is that normal?
>>
All relationships seem superficial to me now days to be completely honest. I'm willing to admit years of crippling depression may be tinting things grey, but who the fuck knows anymore.
>>
My relationship with my mother consists of her pushing my buttons and me doing my best not to scream at her
>>
Yes they are both so very very fake.
>>
Dont have a relationship with mum anymore

Dads feels like we're more just mates that have been mates for so long its just standard to hang out
>>
A problem our family has is we dont ever talk anything out.

If someone does something bad, they usually just get yelled at, ignored, and then we all wake up the next morning like nothing even ever happened.
>>
>>17317728
Yeah, mine was so superficial I don't even know their birthdays. We never talked about anything at all, I didn't even get the talk.
Turns out they both had mental problems and passed them on.
I'm not saying that's your case too, but good luck anyway.
>>
Oh yeah.
Dad was never around when I was young. Always out working (carpenter). And if he was home, he was always working on something at home or sleeping. Also somewhere in his 50s. Him and my mom are like 12 years apart.

My mom was around more, but mostly drank. Did her best to make it not so obvious. Also had/has depression, so couldn't really "hang out" with her either.

My mom is my dad's third marriage, my dad is my mom's second marriage. I have multiple half-siblings that are more than twice my age, and don't really care for me since they already have each other, and I'm just some random bastard that their dad had with his new wife that wasn't their mom. They got to have alright childhoods though since my dad was a lot younger when he had them. Lucky pricks.

Then I have a half-sister on my mother's side who is sort of close, but is still significantly older than me. I have never seen her much as a sister more than I saw her as another "older, adult figure" in my life - like an aunt or cousin or something. I still don't and I don't think that will ever change. Same goes for all the other half-siblings on my father's side.

So yeah, everything is pretty god damn superficial. I would have much rather been a fucking orphan than be teased with this "family" that I have. Once my parents are gone my ties to all my half-siblings are pretty much non-existent. I'll pretty much have no family left then other than my dog.

Probably why I'm so obsessed with wanting a family of my own. A wife, kids. etc. But sadly I've never had much luck, no luck at all actually, in that department of life, so that's never going to happen.

Damn this really turned into something else, I don't really ever get to talk about this. Whatever.
>>
>>17317728
Yep, I guess it is.
>>
>>17317728

Yes, I feel like my only purpose was to be an accessory for my fucking mother until I was old enough to become a burden. Never had a proper conversation with my dad until early this year (im 24 now)
Hes much better as a father now that hes happy with a woman who isnt a sociopath like the mother. Im pretty much completely self sufficient now but its a piece of mind.

Will always have a hint of resentment for them both though, I was basically a punching bag for the family until I lost my shit and got myself kicked out.. fucking biggest blessing in disguise being forced to live in my buddies garage, I got experience what a loving family actually feels like.. feels good man.
>>
Yeah, but I feel it's mostly because that's how I am... I'm not very good at forming emotional bonds with people. I've always been emotionally reserved and distant.

But with parents it's weird. Like there is an obligation to love them whether you feel it or not. I hate saying the words "I love you" to people I don't feel anything, but I made it a habit to make my family members happy I guess

My family is pretty great as far as families go. Really supportive and little to no drama, but we were never really all that tight or close. At least, it never felt that way to me. People who say that their mom or dad is their best friend is such an alien concept to me.

I get along well enough with my mom. She's reasonable, though has a bad habit of being negative which is a drag. However, I have never connected with my dad. It's partly because we're different but it's also because he is very bad at communicating how he feels into words. So he never understood his kids or the needs of his wife and conversations with him are clumsy. He has had an alcoholism problem for the past few years and that's a whole thing too
>>
Didnt used to feel that way with my mom. Im her youngest daughter, but wasnt spoiled or anything. She did the spoiling with my older bitch of a sister. When my sister had her kid my mom stopped spoiling her so much & moved onto her daughter. My mom started talking crap about my sister more too & my sister retaliated by taking her kid away. My mom has started to do the same with me since ive had my son.
She wont hug me or say anything nice to me if shes holding my son. She'll pretend to be super sweet when she doesn't have him though because she thinks I'll take him away. Ive even heard her whisper to my kid how she loves him more than i or his dad does. She claims she's only joking. It's ironic because she was a horrible mom when i was little. Now she thinks she's a saint because she doesn't drink anymore and she goes to church.
>>
I like getting hugs from my mom. But I don't really understand her motivations and dont really like spending time with her.
I also resent her for a few things she's done in the last year or so, but other than that she's been good to me.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.