[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Relatively honest work for useless majors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 1024x558) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 1024x558
I'm an English-Business dual major- yes because I like the arts and dislike the sciences. I bet many people here would say "you knew engineering earns the most money, you should've just sucked it up and went with that, you spoiled whiny brat". Sorry, no thank you. I see too many the depressed engi majors here with that "money must be everything, right?" mindset, and I see them in real life as well.

The point is, I like what I'm studying, and I'm not switching, but I want to be able to actually survive using my eventual piece of paper. I'm nowhere near idealistic enough to try making it as a creative writer, but what else is out there, besides teacher and barista? I'm thinking of becoming a copywriter- it seems decent but in the interest of keeping opportunities open, are there any other options? What's the best route for becoming a copywriter, are there better jobs in that advertising and marketing related field?
>>
jesus christ have you got a chip on your shoulder
>>
Learn to solder and use hot air gun. Easy money in any small factory
>>
>>17316739
Well sorry about that, being continuously mocked for going the arts route does that to you, I do live in an Asian country. And a lot of boards here are extremely pro-STEM. Here, the arts are underfunded and there's no clear path and funnel for people going this route, unlike the sciences here and the arts scene in NYC. The "why you no doctor" stereotype about Asian society is actually quite true. But for all its flaws, this is still my home, so I do want to try making things work here.
>>
>>17316736
You gotta be creative in searching for gainful employment when it comes to the creative field op. That means juggling writing for blogs, creating short stories for competitions, starting a book, writing for real estate companies, writing for newsletters for companies.... There are a wide variety of companies looking for your particular skill set. You have to start researching.
>>
>>17316758
Yeah I'm getting the impression that portfolio matters a lot. I'm wondering if that should be most of what matters though, in the sense that- would getting a masters be worth it? And if MBA or MFA in non-creative writing is better
>>
>>17316736
Become a teacher or apply to law school. You knew going into this that there are limited job opportunities for your degree.
>>
>>17316736
technical writing pays well
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.