[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats in a name?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: what.jpg (45 KB, 820x296) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
45 KB, 820x296
Is it considered sexist by modern standards to want a woman to take your last name if you get married? Not trying to start a debate. Just interested in what the consensus might be.
>>
I think the rule of thumb is that everything is sexist now.
>>
It's subjective. If the name has a lot of history, a girl may not want to give it up.

I say obey the Rule of Cool: take the name that sounds the best.
>>
>>17316412
It's stupid to force someone to do something they don't want to do - just be a decent human being, if your wife wants to take your last name let her do it, if she doesn't want to, don't force her to.
>>
>>17316422
Honestly if she didn't take my name I'd be insulted. Probably wouldn't marry that one.
>>
>>17316453
Is that REALLY so important? Why?
Like, if you met a woman you really love, and everything about her was amazing, you'd dump her over something like this?
>>
ask her if she wants to tag it on like johnson-miller
If she doesn't then who cares.
>>
>>17316457
I probably wouldn't fall in love with the sort of woman who would insist on keeping her last name. She'd probably want one of the kids to have her last name too.
>>
This thread again.

This particular matter doesn't have a definite answer since in most countries of the world the wife doesn't take her husband's last name. It's an anglo tradition.
>>
>>17316412
I don't think so. For me, there is a personal tie to it though. I want a combination last name. I'm female. All my dad's side of the family, only had daughters. We're the end of the line for my last name. I want it kept in my family for at least another generation.

I don't think it's sexist to take a man's last name.
>>
>>17316464
I don't think it's like that.
I like my last name, it's a link to my family, to my origins. It's written on all documents who testify my accomplishments, all my degrees. I would never want my kids to have two last names or to keep mine, but honestly I'd feel like I'm giving up a part of who I am and I don't like the idea.
I am not obsessed with it, if my husband really cared I'd probably give up on it, but it'd make me unhappy and he's sensitive enough to let me do whatever I want.
>>
>>17316412
i have a really cool last name so theres no way i'd take a husband's name unless it was cooler.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.