[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Birthday in 2 days. >Going to be 25 >Started college
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1464380324697.jpg (418 KB, 1536x2048) Image search: [Google]
1464380324697.jpg
418 KB, 1536x2048
>Birthday in 2 days.
>Going to be 25
>Started college last year.
>Only 2 classes done due to money
>Wasted most of my life over other issues because I though I was too stupid to even apply to college.
>Could've gotten this shit over with even with my issues, for the most part.

I don't know what to do. I do want to go to college, I'm even willing to take more classes, but I can't since Summer semesters are too, fast (taking an online classes). Dad thinks I'm a worthless sack a shit. I don't know if I'm going to stay this way if I'm thirty. The depression is killing me.

Is there any advice? I can't go to therapy before anyone asks.
>>
take out a loan so you can secure a degree that will help you pay it off after you graduate and also give you a comfortable life style. make a career plan and stick with it
>>
If you can't get therapy, get some other support. Alsour, finish college. I'm 22 and about to be a junior because I did too many drugs during and after high school, and going to school full time is the best thing I ever did for myself. Just do it.
>>
>>17315496
Why can't you go to therapy?
>>
>>17315498
How do you stick to a career plan? Any /adv/ice?
>>
File: 1466541688235.png (584 KB, 680x453) Image search: [Google]
1466541688235.png
584 KB, 680x453
>>17315496
Why college? Why not try the skilled trades?
A 4 year degree does not guarantee a dream job, or employment at all.

If you're an Amerifat check out http://profoundlydisconnected.com
>>
>>17315506
find something you would like to do. i dont really know what other advice i can give you other than that. when i was in college i found out that i wanted to go into medicine, so i went to medical school.
>>
>>17315512
I'm really envious of people like you, I've never been able to settle. 24 now and I still don't know what the fuck to do.
>>
>>17315504
Because lack of insurance

Paying out of pocket is also very self stabbing given the context too.

>>17315507
If I had skilled trade then I would have done it. My dad is a trade worker and hasn't been in the US for a decade. Only reason hes here now is because Mom is too "unstable". Plus it looks like work is just as scarce as college grads are if what he tells me is any indication.
>>
>>17315527
Why don't you get health insurance?

In the mean time start working out and taking care of yourself. People usually neglect personal upkeep when depressed but you can fight it.
>>
>>17315518
this is normal. its very difficult to choose a future career. i was scared shitless when i applied to medical school - i was looking at 8-10 years of education + massive debts when i graduate. i think you have to take a leap of faith, and an even bigger leap if youre interested in pursuing a professional or doctorate degree. the best thing you can do is start actively thinking about something you would like to do and then do as much research as you can about the pros/cons of going down that route. dont sell yourself short, the most successful people are not crazy smart but very dedicated. laziness is a killer.
>>
As a recently turned 27-year old, I think you're doing alright.

Your dad may think you're a worthless sack of shit right now, but that matters very little in the grand scheme of things. Once you get your shit together, you'll laugh it off.

Also, your dad isn't as bad as my dad.
>>
>>17315556
How did you get into med school? Have you always been a 4.0 student with good extra curriculars?
>>
>>17315564
oh man its been a while, but i think my undergrad gpa was around 3.5 and i had a pretty decent mcat score. standard extracurricular activities involving clinical settings and some research. i was not a great applicant by any means but i applied early and broadly and a school gave me a chance.
>>
>>17315572
Right on, that gives me a little hope.
>>
>>17315606
if you are thinking about medical school or really any professional or doctorate degree, make sure you really do your research and go into something you enjoy doing. i think i wouldve killed myself in school if i didnt really enjoy the material and what i was doing
>>
>>17315496
Professor writing here:

Look around you in your college. At least 25% of the students are your age or older. College isn't just for 18 year olds anymore. And so the college is very aware of the special issues and problems of people your age - including the fear that you're too late.

There are probably special counselors for older students, clubs for you, maybe even a dean devoted fulltime to students like you.

Use those resources. It's not like admitting defeat or "needing therapy". Students your age do have legitimate problems that are different from the 18 year olds' and there are advisors and resources to help you through them.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.