[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey anons. I'm finally moving out of my shit place to somewhere
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: 1375420082829.gif (377 KB, 300x169) Image search: [Google]
1375420082829.gif
377 KB, 300x169
Hey anons. I'm finally moving out of my shit place to somewhere in Oakland CA. I know nothing about the place, I'm on my own. Pls help with living information and tips.
>>
>>17314097
isn't oakland fucked up
>>
Clean common areas on a regular basis. Be nice to roommates. Store all your shit in cheap plastic boxes (like from wall mart or something. Bonus points if they're clear) so that it's incredibly easy to move later. Buy light furniture, or ideally a place already furnished (again, makes moving easier). Buy a file folder, use it to store important files. If you're far from the kitchen keep some kitchen appliances in your room, like a water boiler for tea or a jug with water filter for quality h20. It's better to establish some sort of relationship roommates for the sake of conflict resolution/home environment.
>>
Hey OP, Oakland anon here. First of all, the east bay is very diverse and there's a lot to do. Oakland gets a bad rap, but this applies only to certain areas. If you avoid east oakland, and parts of west oakland, you'll be golden. Otherwise, keep your head up and try not to start some shit. There are gangs, but they won't bother you unless you draw attention to yourself.
Now that that's out of the way, make use of BART. It's a subway system all around the bay area, better than a car in most cases, especially if you plan to do day trips to san francisco. Fruitvale is in downtown, and is host to latino culture. Chinatown is nearby, and, although not as expansive as the chinatown in sf, it's pretty cool.

There are a lot of parks to explore, too. Be sure to visit berkeley, it has a decent nightlife which can't be said for a lot of the bay (sf being the exception).

Let me Know if you have any q's, i'll be around
>>
>>17314165
I know that I'll be using the BART, probably going to get a Clipper card. Whats the key to being resourceful as far as things like food and jobs? sorry for the broad and weird q anon
>>
File: image.jpg (321 KB, 1600x1198) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
321 KB, 1600x1198
>>17314203
You're going to find that the bay will be more expensive all around (gas, food, rent). I would invest in farmers markets and coops for cheap produce.
Jobwise, there's a lot of opportunities, but they are scattered around. Depends on what you want to do, but i personally worked for the state as a scientific aid, and the county as part of the east bay regional parks district. The latter is good for outdoorsey work, but if you're looking for something more professional, set your sights on san francisco and concord-thats where all the mega-corps are.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.