[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I currently have a Fractal Design Node 304 with the following
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 1024x768
I currently have a Fractal Design Node 304 with the following components:
i5 4690K with a Hyper Evo 212
ASUS Z97i-plus
2x4GB Crucial Ballistix 1600Mhz DDR3
aSUS GTX760 2GB

The GPU died on me yesterday so I got an MSI GTX1070 Gaming X and I tried installing it and it's a really tight fit and the backplate is slightly pressing against the cables from the PSU. Is that OK?

I was a bit worried about that but also about the limited airflow in this tiny case and thus the temperatures. Would I benefit (temp wise) in getting a Define S instead?

Also, would it take a lot of work moving over the components or can I leave stuff like the CPU cooler mounted on the motherboard? I've never built a PC before so I'm a bit worried and actually considered selling it off and buying a new pre-built PC...

tl;dr Does a larger case make a big difference in temperature and would it be possible for a beginner to move everything to a new case?

Written from My girlfriends crappy iPad so please forgive spelling/formating errors.
>>
File: 1466994694745.png (96 KB, 277x296) Image search: [Google]
1466994694745.png
96 KB, 277x296
>>17313945
Why not get a bigger case? If you got money to spend like an idiot on a brand new overpriced card then surely you can afford a tower.
>>
>>17313953
Money isn't an issue but as I mentioned I have no experience building PC's which is why I'm hesitant about moving everything to a new case. I bought my current PC via a website that lets you pick parts and pay a fee to have it built and tested by professionals and they actually did a great job with this tiny case.
>>
I chose the Node because I have My PC on My desk and liked the small form factor, but it is a really tight fit with the new GPU and the temps Will probably be rather high due to the limited space.
>>
>>17313945
>Does a larger case make a big difference in temperature and would it be possible for a beginner to move everything to a new case?
So a larger case can improve airflow and lead to lower temperatures, however unless you're having a specific issue with overheating I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The machine I use for Twitch and youtube has four GTX 980s in quad SLI, and they're air cooled (because the people who paid for it apparently just threw dats at a parts catalogue and picked whatever they landed on), and there's a gap of mybe 5mm between each card. That means only the bottom one of the stack is drawing free flowing cool air, and the other three are just sucking against the hot pcb of the one below. It's a perfectly normal set up, they're designed to run this way, so as I say unless you're having heat issues it shouldn't be a problem.

As far as transplanting your rig in to another case goes it's remarkably easy. Absolutley everything on a pc is purpose designed so you can't screw it up. You physically can't put connectors on backwards or in the wrong port. All your parts will only fit the way they're meant to, if you try to put anything in wrong it just won't go. Watch some youtube vids to get a feel for just how simple it is.
>>
>>17313945
Op what site did you use?
>>
>>17314142
I've watched some videos and it doesn't seem THAT hard but I guess there's still plenty of ways to fuck up...
Do I need to take apart the CPU cooler by the way? That's probably the scariest part, that and the mobo with spacings and such.

Even if the temps are the same it would be a lot easier to do stuff like this with more space.
>>
>>17314197
I'm Swedish so I used inet.se but I'm sure there are similar sites in all countries.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.