[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Father-Son Relationships
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Hey /adv/, what was your dad like? Did you know him? What did you do together? What makes a good dad?
>>
>>17309529
Dad and mom split around 11yrs old. He spent as much time with me as he could, tried to do what he could and was willing to help me in any way he could. I consider him a good dad.

He did not push me though. It was up to me to go practice, or do my homework. I found that role model in my friends dad. It's not that I wasn't self motivated, but my dad wasn't a "life experiences" kind of dad and spent his time in the bleachers and left it up to me to find ways to improve. I wish he had been more motivational and had been looking for that next level, I would have tried, he was my dad after all. Not overbearing or had unreasonable expectations, just sky's the limit attitude
>>
We did typical father-son things. Playing football, going for runs, going swimming, going to amusement parks and so on. Plus, he beat me a few times to teach me a lesson, which I'm thankful for. I think all this new hippy dippy "just ask your kid politely to stop being a cunt" shit is, well, shit.

Contrary to the poster above me, he pushed me but never beyond my comfort zone. He wanted me to learn piano and violin and join sports team and take up running properly but I never did, and he was alright with my decisions.

I love my dad.
>>
I love my dad. I just feel bad for him. I think a tall, handsome, almost professional footballer who makes half a million a year probably expected more from his first son. He's a good dad, but a sculptor can't do much with shit. I'm glad my younger brother takes after him. He's a good kid and I'm glad they have the relationship they do. Makes me feel alot less guilty.

He is a stellar dad though. He works hard, has always provided, always put us first, always pushed us to do our best and is always giving us nuggets of wisdom. Never laid a hand on us, but we knew if we fucked up shit was going down. The kinda guy who can't walk 2 feet without someone recognising him and the kinda guy that everyone has a hilarious story or treasured memory of.

I'm sorry dad.
>>
I hate my dad. I hate him for leaving me with my abusive mother. But I will never know if I would have been better up with my dad since he is a egomaniac alcoholic.

If you want the story just tell me.
>>
My parents split when i was about 12. I lived with my dad. Before the split he was a good dad but his drinking became a problem between him and my mom. I never noticed untill she quit covering up for him and i would spend hours talking him out of starting arguments with my mom. This is how i realized something wasnt right.

My mom couldnt take all of us with her. She took my sister and left me and my brothers with my dad. Dad would go to work, come home to do what he needed to do, and left for the bar. He never was a bar goer, he drank at home usually. So he pretty much was absent from the house the next few years. Obviously that left me with no parental guidance and i was able to do whatever i wanted. I ended up becoming bitter with my dad which lasted for years.

My dad ended up getting married again, sobered up after that, and started to be interested in my life. The last 5 years of his life he tried helping me out as much as he could probably feeling guilty of the past. I hold no grudge with him. At the time he was just trying to cope how he knew.

Now that i am older and have kids myself i feel bad about being bitter to him and even hating him at times. And i miss him very much.
>>
My dad was great, really great. He went through a really tough childhood, but came out well adjusted, all things considered. He really cared about his family and close friends, but no one else.

After my mom overdosed on cocaine and began to develop schizophrenia, my dad did the best to keep the family together- he pulled extra hours at work, agreed to marriage counseling. None of it worked, and my mom cheated on him and left. He raised me solo, which women loved him for.

He had a great sense of humor and told some really twisted jokes. Nothing was off limits, not even my goofy ass. He was extremely motivated and loved his hobbies. We played games together. He would kick my ass in Soul Calibur 2,until I got upset. He played the bass. He was a very interesting person to be around.

Our relationship was alright, which I really regret. He was a real bro, very knowledgeable, very wise, fun to be around. Towards my late teens I was a little shit though, so I didn't spend as much time with him as I should have. He tried to help me develop whatever talents and interests I displayed, which I am thankful for.

I thought he was hard to deal with because he needed things to be very structured, and valued honesty above everything (again, I was a little shit because those are quite reasonable). We had discussions for upwards of ,4 hours about communication, sentence structure and a myriad of other things.

A father is born, but a dad is made. I would say that the most important thing about good dads is that they pour themselves into their children. Everything they do, their entire life, shifts to add the kid into it. A good dad does everything to make sure his kid has a better life than he did. In time, a good dad will pass on everything he knows to his sons and daughters. He'll be there to teach them when they fail.

Man, my dad was great. RIP dad.
>>
>>17309529
Love my dad, but are too different (or maybe too similar?).

A lot of his problems come from him being a pleaser. On top of that, he favors my little brother since they are the same (same name too), but since my little brother takes advantage of hin it doesn't work.

He's been in my life and given me most of what I needed, but there's too much conflict. Maybe when I move out things will be different. Too much bad shit going on here.
>>
>>17309679
Yes please do tell it
>>
My dad was a chain smoker and alcoholic. Died at age 41. I think I was 9 at that time. Wasn't fazed at all and somehow shed no tear at funeral. My mum said he was "kind of" abusive but I never caught wind of anything or I just repressed it. My mum told me one story where she kicked him out and one day he was waiting for her at the door and grabbed hold of her from behind. She got a tazer for this purpose and after that dunno. My brother told me another story wherein he beat our dad some sense in, tied him up with a belt and left him to cool down in a room for like half a day. I'm glad I'm only stuck with the few positive memories I have of him. Even though he was probably kinda bad. I cherish him and I'm proud of being his son. My mum always seems kinda shocked when she sees a lot of his likeness in me.
>>
>>17309580
Why did he beat you? Were you thankful for it at the time?
>>
>>17310065
I was being a wee cunt with temper problems, putting holes in walls and shit like that. So he took the belt to me and left me in the dark, knowing it terrified me. I wasn't thankful at the time because I was getting my shit beaten with a leather belt but I'm thankful now looking back on it, because it helped me reign in my temper. Or at the very least, reign how I acted when my temper flared up.

I'd have beaten me too.
>>
>>17309529
I have never had a connection with my dad; i love him but is not my friend.
We never were intimate and after a while the fights we had created an anomosity between us since there weren't many positive things we did togheter. This hurts him a lot and he feels like a failure; i miss not having a connection with my parents.
We can't talk without fighting because everything will be a reason to be aggressive to one another. He still believes we can get along and tries to amend things but it's useless, we are simply not compatible as friends and trying to force things only make it worse.
>>
>>17309529
He's utter filth. A drunkard leeching off my mother, not working at all, abusing her and myself. Over the years I lost my lust for revenge and my hatred of him, but he is still objectively the worst person I know.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.