[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /adv/, here's my thing: >started studying I.T. at
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: evil computer.jpg (28 KB, 498x404) Image search: [Google]
evil computer.jpg
28 KB, 498x404
Sup /adv/, here's my thing:
>started studying I.T. at 18 years old
>never liked one single subject (except 1 completely unrelated one) but kept going since everyone said it was a good career, parents got pissed if I suggested dropping it, etc.
>kept studying for over 4 years, but still barely close to half of the subjects by now
>hate this career with a passion
>never had a real job
>depression since I was 19, kind of recovering now
>want to drop out, don't see myself completing this career

Well I really need to get a job now. But I don't know if I should seek a job in I.T. considering:
>I hate it
>I don't have too many skills or knowledge, just basic stuff
>I plan to drop the career (and companies want their employees to keep studying)
Or should I look for some other kind of job? My only other skill seems to be being very fluent in English (though I have no English degrees of any kind), besides some useless graphic design stuff.

Thanks
>>
>>17309519
What do you want to do? Can you move into another related field of study so that your credits will count towards something? Why not go into English with a minor in CS/IT?
>>
>>17309593
Thanks for the reply. Yah, getting a degree in English can be a good idea. Otherwise I'm kind of only interested in graphic design, architecture or psychology. Unfortunately these don't seem to be easy job opportunity careers (which is why people talked me out of them when I was younger) and I probably won't have any subjects in common with those except 2 maybe. Though I'm sure my current knowledge won't be completely wasted.
>>
>>17309519
What do you WANT to do? Suppose money/job/time were not an issue. What would you most enjoy studying or doing for the rest of your life?

OK now. Just how unreasonable/impossible is that? Chances are that the worst that would happen if you followed that dream is that you'd lose a couple of years in having to change a major and take different courses. That's a very small price.
>>
This may sound retarded but, how were your grades in undergrad? Maybe you can pursue medicine assuming you are in US.
>>
>>17309700
Well I think what I'd want to study the most is graphic design. Followed closely by psychology or philosophy. There was a time when I wanted to be an art teacher in a school.
I don't know anyone in person who studied either of those careers and got a job in them, except maybe a girl I once knew that now I rarely see on the bus and told me she's studying graphic design since years ago.

I never thought about what you say being a very small price. Other people have told me it's not a small price but idk who to trust by now, so thanks for your advice!

>>17309709
Thanks. Not retarded, but I'm not in the US. I googled undegrad but I'm not sure what the equivalent would be in my country, if there's any. My high school was for economics and my first year of college had math, physics, philosophy, history. I got the highest scores in philosophy and physics though they were a pretty basic level.
>>
If you have a degree in anything, and have native English with a decent academic level of language understanding, have you considered jumping overseas and teaching English?

You get to leave the circle of influence that has funneled you into a career you don't care about and choose your next life in a new country. Places like Japan take in English teachers in small to large English schools all over, and the inability to speak the language of the country is actually sought after in many schools, as they consider it a selling point that their teachers teach and structure all classes in an 'immersive' 100% English only manner. Demand is very very high for English globally, and there are some incredible places to go and experience. Qualifications are usually just a bachelors level certification in any field. Working Visas are granted with English school sponsorship, pay is quite decent too. But it's a choice that allows you to see life in a new place and build from there, starting from just having command of English; a product in high demand.

I spent 3 years in Japan myself, worked a lot of jobs, traveled a lot and tried many new things. It's the first time in my life I felt like I was starting with a blank slate and making decisions objectively one by one as I desired to. Previous to my experience there I really felt swept up by the influence of previous decisions and an environment of expectations.
>>
>>17309766
That does sound good! I guess I should take some exam and get a proper degree in English, at least to put it in my resume instead of just "fluent in English". My native language is Spanish but I've been learning English since I was a kid since my mother's an English teacher.
>>
>>17309783
Literally your degree DOES NOT MATTER, I promise you they do not scrutinize the nature of the degree in hiring - I triple quadruple promise you. And the reason I emphasize this, is because if you want to take this path, it'd be better to complete a line of study you're already in for expediency and jumping on that plane faster, without having to begin studying a fresh line of credit in a new academic field.

I know it sounds strange, because in the west it's all resume building in a tight tight job market - but shift perspective; you're not going to go to the west, you're going where demand is absurdly high for English and they WILL hire you. In my case, I applied for 28 schools around Japan and 8 responded with offers in my first week.

Use online resources: youtube 'teaching english abroad' or choose a country, find forums of people talking about experience starting the process, visas, setting up jobs, accommodation, financing the first months, etc.

I had no savings and no visa; lined up a job, a flat, a plane ticket, a visa, all in less than a month. I was gone 4 weeks after making the decision. That's fast, it may take you a bit more, but it's something you can start, get under way, and leave before you can even say bye to your friends - if you want to.

I'd recommend Japan though - it's really beautiful, good culture, no crime, living standards high, everything works like clockwork, nice foreign community, stable work, a lot to see, and a LOT of opportunity to branch out from english teaching should you want to try your own projects or enter a new line of work. Other countries I can't speak for because I haven't been, but I hear China and South Korea are nice in certain places, I hear you can do these things in South America and even in some places in Europe. It's up to you.
>>
>>17309842
Well this is something that I certainly never thought of before until you mention it here. Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>17309862
My pleasure, hope it goes well for you!
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.