[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/adv/, I think my attitude from work is crossing over into my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1377458155626.jpg (104 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1377458155626.jpg
104 KB, 500x375
/adv/, I think my attitude from work is crossing over into my social life a bit too much. I'm a doctor (occasionally pop up in med-related threads) and at work I'm required to be concise when talking to people, and ask the same of others when they talk to me (handing over etc)

It's now getting to the point where even talking to family or not-so-close friends (none of which are doctors), I become inpatient when they tell me something and draw it out. I can already guess the ending of what they're going to say, so save the middle part and finish it for them, before asking them to confirm that's right
It's not really an issue with close friends or colleagues outside of work

Is this rude, or reasonable?
Can I accept this is just natural, or am I on the path to being an insufferable twat?
>>
Both. The ideal would be for everyone to cut to the chase, but linguistic education is headed to downfall. Since people won't bother learning to speak better, you won't achieve nothing but annoy them.
>>
>>17309271
Yeah, I guess you're right

I also wonder if it's me just not being able to switch off from work too... As it doesn't bother me when I'm around closer friends, which is when I can switch off. But then they tend not to draw out two sentences into two minutes
>>
It's not rude. If anything, they're rude for wasting your time. They may do it unintentionally, but don't most rude people? You just need to cut them off politely.
>>
>>17309282
Haha you're right in one respect, and perhaps when it's not with family, but I know my family always mean well

It's just that finishing what they're saying isn't really polite... In the same way that it's often frowned upon to finish the words of someone who stutters

I don't think I'm going to quite stop altogether though. Time is precious
>>
Loosen up abit when you're not working
>>
>>17309287
Yeah, it's not normally polite, but that's the average person's scenario. Just turn it into a "I can read your mind" party trick. It could be pretty entertaining and you might convince them you have magic powers.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.