[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me about crisis hotlines. I'm in over my head and I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
Tell me about crisis hotlines.
I'm in over my head and I've been randomly sobbing and hyperventilating.
> how could they even help me?
> are they normies?
> who do you recommend?
> inb4 the suicide hotline in the header, I don't trust them
>>
maybe try to not speak in memes idiot.
>>
> doesn't understand what I'm asking because I said normies
you're trying too be counter culture
>>
I here you I need help too, I want to commit suicide, last time I called they treated me like I was an idiot
>>
I've worked at several suicide hotlines.

> how could they even help me?

They can listen to you and basically be a sounding board to help you work out your own problems. If you're acutely distressed and nice voice on the other end will help you calm down, they could do that.

Some might refer to you to services, especially if they are already attached to a mental health center or clinic or if you have a life problem that's more pragmatic (housing, legal, etc). It really depends on how big they are and what they're hosted out of.

> are they normies?

Depends. The first one I worked at was staffed primarily by college/grad kids (19-20) who were in psych, the second was out of county mental health services and pretty much everyone on the line was a professional or professional-in-training. Everyone is required to do training in suicide prevention, assessment of risk (ie how likely a caller is to really fuck themselves or someone else up), local mental health services, and counseling.

I'm chronically suicidal and have multiple mental probs meself, so it's clearly not ALL normies lol

> who do you recommend?

Also depends. National line often has long hold times, the more local you get the more likely you are to have limited hours but also the more likely you are to get individual, non-formulaic attention.
>>
>>17308896
I recommend several things:

1. If you get someone who's not listening to you, HANG UP and call back. A smaller line (like if it's a county line and you live in a tiny county like me) will probably have only one or a few people on staff, so this won't work there, but if it's National or state or you live in a big city, you'll probably get someone else.

2. Keep in mind that most if not all crisis lines are mandated reporters, meaning if they seriously believe you will make a dangerous enough suicide (or homicide) attempt they will call a welfare check on you. This is the police at your house awkwardly asking you if you want to kill yourself. So be careful.

3. HOWEVER, I've found people way overestimate what counts as mandated reporting material. Saying you're suicidal is not enough. Talking about you want to overdose or whatever is not even usually enough. If you tell them you have the stuff there (a gun, for example) and you want to use it, or a time/date set, or you've already made the attempt, that's usually where you're in the red zone. But you can tell them you want to off yourself without repercussion just for that; it's a crisis line.
>>
Honestly, it's worth a try. Shit, just look up crisis lines around the country and call until you find one you like. I used to get a guy calling me from Minnesota all the time and I'm in California. I'd talk to him anyway.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.