[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, Advice. I have been working as a pizza delivery person
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: 1448421597570.png (338 KB, 1200x1102) Image search: [Google]
1448421597570.png
338 KB, 1200x1102
Hey, Advice.

I have been working as a pizza delivery person for the past couple of months.

The checks I got every two weeks used to be between $400 and $500. But now, I am still working the same amount of hours and days, but my past two paychecks have been like $300 or so.

On the checks for the past two weeks it has had a section for "Tips- Cash". I think they are taxing my cash tips now, but holy shit, are they really taxing me almost $200 for my cash tips or what? Can someone explain to me why I am making less money?
>>
Check your paystub?
Do the math?
>>
How do they know the amount of cash tips you get?
>>
this depends on your state and the laws about tipped employees
>>
Post pics of checks (one before, one after) with vital info blacked out. I'm a financial adviser and can likely explain whatever is going on.
>>
>>17308182
Not sure what kind of math I should do here. The amount of money depends on how many credit card tips I get (they go on the check) and how many hours I worked, both of which can vary because sometimes I get more credit card tips and sometimes I work late because there are more deliveries.

>>17308193
They started recording them in their book thing, I guess.
>>
>>17308199
do you tell them how much cash tips you get?
>>
>>17308210
I've already cashed the checks, so I can't really do that. I could post the paystubs I guess. One second.
>>17308198
They take the wallet at the end of the night and count out your cash tips and give them to you, so, yeah, they would know how much cash tips you make.
>>
File: 0629162126.jpg (1 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
0629162126.jpg
1 MB, 4160x2340
Here are my paychecks from the last 6 weeks. Hopefully I blacked everything bad out.
>>
>>17308212
Is that standard for delivery jobs?
>>
>>17308220
Something's fucked, comparing the bottom two. You worked 7 more hours and got almost 3 times the cash tip in the last one, yet made less than a dollar more. What does FIT stand for?
>>
>>17308220
Doesn't look like they taxed you extra on the tips, but at the same time seems like the only other option other than you not running into very good tippers.
>>
>>17308220
First two are fine, but on that last stub, those withholdings are completely out of whack. They almost doubled for no discernible reason.

You should go talk to your employer about that, that isn't normal. It should be percentage based on your income. That's just fucked.
>>
>>17308230
>>17308229
Yeah, looking at them all lined up like this, I noticed this too. I am paying nearly double in withholdings, $70 compared to like $140. I have no idea why that is. But even if I did make $70 more, the check would have still been $380, which is significantly less than my check from 6 weeks ago.

I dunno, maybe I have just run into shitty tippers, but I feel like I haven't? Does bad luck really equal almost $200 less?
>>
Did you change your allowances claimed on your W4?
>>
>>17308242
Witholdings should be shit like income tax, social security tax, medicare... It looks botched to shit though.
>>
>>17308220
Your federal income tax (the FIT line on your paycheck) is calculated based on how much you make during the year. The amount ramps up as you make money, so the first two checks are calculated in one tax bracket, and the last check is calculated in another tax bracket, increasing your tax burden (looks like from 10% to 15%). This is normal, and nobody made a mistake. Taxes just fucking suck, man.
>>
>>17308298
Are you really 100% sure about that? That doesn't look like a 5% increase?
>>
>>17308311
I didn't run all the numbers, but the last check, 55.9/357.3 is about 15% and the second check, 25.6/292.76 is about 9%. Your exact tax burden changes based on whether you're claimed 0 or 1 on your W4 and if you're married, but you can calculate about how much should be taken out online, do a quick google search for paycheck withholding calculator.
>>
>>17308338
So this is how much money I am gonna make from now on? I shouldn't bitch to anybody? I spent the massive ass loads of money I made earlier on lots of dumb shit.

I regret EVERYTHING.
>>
>>17308347
I feel your pain, taxes blow, but you'll get a lot of it back at the end of the year when you file your taxes since it looks like you're claiming 0, maybe $2000-ish.

And definitely stop buying dumb shit.
>>
>>17308352
$2000? Delayed gratification kicks ass.

I want to get a VR device.
>>
>>17308361
What did I just say about not buying dumb shit
>>
File: 1456800934674.jpg (13 KB, 292x326) Image search: [Google]
1456800934674.jpg
13 KB, 292x326
>>17308385
Heh, I kek'd.
>>
If they weren't including your cash tips, but then later started including your cash tips, then yes, your check will probably go down. Cash tips are taxable. Just because they are cash, doesn't mean you're not supposed to report them to the government and have them be taxed. Don't bring this up to the company, because if you were receiving cash tips and they weren't included in an earlier check, then they will just inform you that you will need to report them and pay taxes on them. I don't feel like doing the math, but everything seems very legit in >>17308220. (also you worked less hours in the middle one)

>I do payroll for a few small businesses now and used to for a restaurant
>>
>>17308423 here

Okay, you guys, jesus.

Fica-SS is 6.2% (multiply by .062)
Fica-Med is 1.45% (multiply by .0145)

These two are always an exact percentage. They are figured on total wages AND total tips. That "Total Wages" line on the bottom is a little misleading, because it is only wages. You have to include wages and all tips when figuring Fica percentages. Those are taxes you always have to pay (and employer pays a matching percentage).

So you see the third check? All wages and tips actually total 733.86. Multiply that by Fica-ss and you get 45.50. It works. Wow.

FIT is federal income tax.
SIT is state income tax.

These two are based on an estimated table, because these numbers change depending on the size of your check and other factors (remember that W-4 you filled out? No? Oh well). These two numbers will change and are not based on exact percentage.

When you file your taxes at the end of the year, you get to find out if you owe more money to the government or if you get a refund back? That is just FIT and SIT. If you sent in too much FIT, then you get a refund. If you didn't have enough withheld from your checks, then you have to send in a payment with your tax return. Again, FIT and SIT will change with each check, and are reconciled on your tax return. Just because it doubled doesn't mean shit.

Looks legit to me, and it looks like your company just forgot to include your cash tips in the first check, you worked less hours on the second check, and then the third was normal. They all look fine. If you go to your company, they are just going to tell you that "Oops, cash tips weren't on your first check? Well, ya gotta pay taxes on them now." So don't mention it to them.

Also, if you want to get out of paying taxes on your cash tips, then withhold some (not all, way too obvious) cash tips back so they don't count them.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.