[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I deal with a shitty slacker colleague? I work for an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
How do I deal with a shitty slacker colleague?

I work for an IT company with good reputation. We have big, well known customers and talented and ambitious colleagues who are leading in their field.

And then there's my colleague...
Whenever I pass by he seems to be watching Youtube or browsing the web while yawning.
Tasks that should take one or two days takes him weeks. And then he delivers something shitty.
He doesn't keep up with tech and doesn't read programming books. He seems to lack the passion and interest for what we are doing.

He seems to get annoyed whenever he has to take his headphones off to discuss things. Tech discussions with him are meaningless anyway since he doesn't know much about the project we are working on, ever after working with it for 6+ months. He doesn't seem to know much about the technologies we use either. I don't know how he has spent his 5+ years in the tech industry.

He's "sick" pretty much every second Monday and gets a cold for a week every second month or so.

It's sad that he got hired but I guess it's because he gave the impression of being super cool and passionate at first.
Now he just seems like a manipulative psychopath who tries to save face by blurting out bullshit during meetings.
Always something to blame. Some other person, environments, technical debt and so on.
I'm sure he has tried to put the blame on me at some point as well.

I get the feeling that management is a bit tired of him.
They have assigned a summer project with him as the only programmer with a tight deadline.
With his current delivery rate it will take years instead of weeks... so, that's going to be interesting.

We are "friends" at work and eat lunch together but I can't stand him anymore due to his work performance.

I don't want to work with him ever again. I still deliver and try to stay motivated but I enjoy work a lot more when I work with motivated and inspiring people.
What would you do?
>>
>>17303753
>What would you do?

not care about him
>>
Let him crash and burn on his assignment, stop being his work friend, bring your worries up to management if you ever have to work with him
>>
>>17303777
I work with him daily right, and have done so for months.

I have never brought up problems with a colleague to management before and... I'm a little afraid to do so, to be honest. Would feel weird to talk behind his back like that.

But yeah. He will fail his assignment and try to blame it on something/someone but they will see through it. I have another project coming up for the autumn and won't have to work with him during that time.
Maybe I should just leave it there let it be.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.