[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any secret techniques to getting into a video game after becoming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1358342413584.gif (922 KB, 300x252) Image search: [Google]
1358342413584.gif
922 KB, 300x252
Any secret techniques to getting into a video game after becoming a jaded/depressed gamer?

It just feels like they're all shit even though logically I know this cannot be true.
>>
>>17303743
You've grown past them. This is a sign that you should be giving them a break. Find other hobbies. Maybe one day they'll be exciting to you again.

It's like kids not having fun with their action figures or barbies anymore. That phase is over, a world of more exciting shit awaits you.
>>
>>17303743
I feel ya. Vidya and anime are getting/have been pretty tame.
>>
>>17303743

some people just arent into video games. so logically many games are good but that doesnt mean you have to enjoy em. im sure not all romantic comedies suck on a technical level but you cant pay me to watch them.

like the other anon said you've likely outgrown them.

i WANT to love sonic the hedgehog. they were my favorite games growing up but all the new ones look like shit. even their more serious ones in the same vein as the ones i enjoyed just felt like shit. i simply dont enjoy them.

you (and I) just assume we'd like new games because we remember liking games before.

do something new.

consider what the author VC andrews said. she used to do nothing but read then one day she put down a book and never read another one ever again. from that moment on she only wrote books.

perhaps you need to make video games.
>>
Stop posting on /v/ for a bit, take a break and get some outdoor hobbies. Only play for like an hour at a time- no binges
>>
>>17303758
>perhaps you need to make video games.
I tried. I laid out a plan and a vague storyline, made a few sprites, a composed a massive soundtrack on FL studio. When the time came to buckle down and start coding I just couldn't do it. It was just bug after bug in GML. After a couple of problems that had no solutions to be found, I got tired of completely scrapping and reworking mechanics. Coding is not for me.

Now I just record music to get my creative jollies but I really do miss plunging into an RPG and caring more about progressing in the game than anything in the real world. I guess my brain has just grown too much to ignore my future and responsibilities.
>>
>>17303788

coding sucks but there are many engines tthat dont require much if any coding at all. your game might have a generic playing concept but with original story, sprites etc, there is that.

consider just taking a break and seeing what happens. i didnt play vidyah for years but now im replaying pokemon.
>>
>>17303743
You're on your way to escaping, don't get sucked back into gaming.

it's a waste of time and money.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.