[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm 28 years old and I have a fear of driving. I just feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 1444944885064.jpg (85 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1444944885064.jpg
85 KB, 600x600
I'm 28 years old and I have a fear of driving. I just feel like I KNOW that I'll kill myself or someone on the road, but I need to learn how. How do I conquer my fear of driving and start learning?
>>
>>17303267

do it anyways. get someone to go with you and walk you through it in an empty parking lot.
>>
>>17303270
What do I do after I get used to driving around in a parking lot?
>>
>>17303276

move on to backstreets then to suburbs than on to busier and busier streets.

trust me i felt the same way. we all did. but you get used to it pretty fast.
>>
Because I'm starting so late, will it take me longer to get used to it?
>>
I didn't get my license until 23 after college. Start off in a parking lot and on side streets. The more familiar the better. I was the same way. Now I don't give a fuck about rush hour traffic while on call.
>>
>>17303288

no, why would it?
>>
You do know you have to go through classes and exams to get the license right?
By the time you have it you'll be used to driving and no longer feel like that.

Just go for it.
>>
>>17303306

as an adult you only have to take an exam. only teenagers have to take the class.

though it is an option so maybe OP should take classes anyway
>>
>>17303311
Whatever makes him comftarble.
Having an instructor that can control the car should make him more comftarble right?
>>
>>17303318

it might yeah, though mine could only slam on the breaks. i just meant to say he doesnt HAVE to take a class.
>>
>>17303267
I am being completely serious here. Play hours and hours and hours of racing video games.

Become so good at them you never have collisions in game.

By the time you start really driving at regular speeds, driving is ridiculously easy. Everything is so slow that you have ample reaction time.
>>
>>17303318
I took the optional course in HS then got my learners permit but then shit happened and it never turned into a legit license. I don't remember how it was but I remember needing an extra class "just to be sure" before he'd pass me. I m kinda spacy so that worries me.
>>
>28 years old
>never driven a car

Explain yourself.
>>
>>17303330
Any particular game you'd recommend for PC? I don't have a racing wheel btw.
>>
>>17303337
I've been in prison
>>
>>17303349

>ive been to prison
>im afraid to drive a car

what was it for, child pronz or some other sissy crime?
>>
>>17303329
>hough mine could only slam on the breaks
That's what I mean't by "control"

>>17303334
Dunno how it works in 'Murika so I can't help you with that.

>>17303349
Well, not related to thread... but story?
>>
>>17303360
I'm OP, I've not been to prison like that anon suggests. My best friend did die in an accident though back in 2005, before then life was too crazy for me to really have needs. Single mom, psycho and all that and my developmental needs were kinda neglected SD long as I could ride a bike and bring her a check every week and now I've saved up, moved away and trying to piece my life back together. No amazing story here.
>>
>>17303380
Gotcha.

I been driving since I was 15.

Hard to say what it will be like for you.
>>
>>17303340
Gran turimso (get an old one since they'll be cheaper) and the driving wheel doesn't matter. What matters is the experience you'll get of how object approach and how you react to them. Wider turns take less pressure to make, sharper turns take more, etc

You will never actually spin out irl, so the speed doesn't matter because when you get behind a real wheel, everything is so drastically slowed down that you have a lot of time to make decisions on the road. Eventually you'll move to highways and freeways which are faster, but it'll still be considerably slower than any racing game and you'll have much experience from driving on roads by then.
>>
>>17303391
I don't have a playstation but I could find some roms if they're that amazing of a driving sim
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.