[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>guy I played online games with for about 9-10 years now asks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: Dolphin.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
Dolphin.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
>guy I played online games with for about 9-10 years now asks me to be best man at his wedding

>me being faggot i say yes

>it's in the most remote part of the US you can be in in the 48. I live in the south. I will have to drive to Nashville airport, fly 2 1/2 hours, drive 6 hours, and then I'm there.

>i'm part of the wedding so i can't just be there for one day I have to be there the whole weekend for rehearsals

>away for 6 days total just to go to a FUCKING wedding

>i've never met any of these people, i don't know what any of them look like in real life.

>he wants me to hang out with his groomsmen etc.

>I REALLY FUCKING DO NOT WANT TO DRIVE A TOTAL OF 20 HOURS TO DO WEDDING SHIT WITH TOTAL STRANGERS IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE

>i've already booked travel plans but would more than happily cancel them and eat the cost if I could just stay the fuck at home

>If I ditched he'd probably hate me forever but if I go I'll probably hate him forever and say something very mean to him on the best day of his life for asking me to do this

What should I do? I fucking hate this, I know I'm a shithead but what the fuck should I do here.

I'm planning on going, my family/gf are MASSIVELY against it and think I should just tell him, and stay home. I'm going to be driving thru nothingness to go someplace I don't want to be, for multiple days, costing myself around $700

Is there any way out of this? I know I suck but who the fuck asks a stranger to be best man. If it was any other wedding thing I'd say NO FUCK YOU but I didn't have the heart at the time.
>>
Bump for interest
>>
Most people don't talk to someone for 10 years and consider them strangers.

>If it was any other wedding thing I'd say NO FUCK YOU
But isn't it any other wedding? Like you said, dude's a stranger.
>>
>>17302592
Do it as soon as possible, with everyday you get closer he will have more trouble replacing you.
You sound like a moody fuck controled by your parents and gf, i wouldn't want to go either but i would accept that as a reason.
>>
>>17302610
Wouldn't accept to be in control of them* is what i wanted to say.
Just don't go lad.
>>
>>17302612

It's this weekend so if I did it I'd royally fuck him and nuke the friendship lol.

I know I'm a piece of shit, and I know this isn't a valid excuse but the workload of 60~hour weeks has distracted me from giving it much thought until about a week ago when I went back down to being part time.

I'd really like to just not go but I know I'd hate myself I guess, I'll hate myself either way because my parents are elderly and think I'm going to see a serial killer because they don't understand online pals.

>>17302606

I meant any other position in the wedding, besides BEST MAN jesus christ. Guy has brothers.
>>
>>17302637
Sorry, I'm drinking and trying to understand how you've know him for ten years, wouldn't have the heart to tell him no, but still consider yourself a stranger to him.

If you're okay with going and care about him (and the stranger thing is more a rant fueled by emotion and your parents view on stranger danger possible?) why not tell him AS SOON AS POSSIBLE you really can't be the best man. Add a combination of work, you're not sure about having that many days free, your family worries, etc, but that you'd be honored to attend his wedding.

Hopefully gets you just the normal wedding invitation, which should be a good compromise of the things you want.
>>
JUST FUCKING GO YOU FUCKING IDIOT
You're probably gonna be well taken care of and have a fucking blasty blast. The driving and all that shit will be over before you know it.

You already said yes, don't nuke the friendship and ruin your friend's wedding.

If anything his whole family is already there or someone is driving up there like you are and can help you with your commute. Contact him and ask if he knows anyone who would be willing to split the drive with him, if not, MAN THE FUCK UP and just fucking go and have fun, quit making it all about you ya damn diva, and let your friend have some fun. The last thing anyone wants two days before their wedding is any kind of change, even minimal, so imagine what losing his best man would do to his morale right now.
>>
>>17302592
"Bob, I know I said yes to your invitation, but I've looked into the travel arrangements, and I simply can't afford it, so I'm going to have to let you down. Sorry."
>>
Should've said no when you had the chance.

But since the wedding is this weekend, you're going to have to man up and honor the commitement you made. Though shit
>>
>>17302592
Tell him you're really sorry but the plans for all of it is causing a lot of stress with your family (which is true) and you just won't be able to do it. If he's really your friend he ought to understand the kind of burden he placed on you when you agreed to jump through all these hoops for him and she shouldn't be too pissed that you're bailing to make your family happy.
>>
>>17302724

I'd be paying for everything myself and journeying through nothingness. I won't enjoy myself because who the fuck has fun at a wedding full of strangers. I'm probably going to end up going.
>>
Have you met this man IRL before?
>>
of course it is easy to say no and not go
But in my opinion it is always better to get out of your safe space and do things you don't want to.
>>
>>17302856
Just go then, dude. :| No sense in driving yourself crazy over it. Go and be determined to have fun and make sure your friend is having a fun night the whole time because that's what you're supposed to do as the best man. You should've brought your girl along as your plus 1 and made it a fun road trip, ya ding dong.
>>
>>17302592
Mate this would be an awesome experience, he wants you to hang out with his groomsman n shit they're probably going to throw a bachelor party my man, fuck your girlfriend and family they're jealous.
>>
>>17302878
Nope. No idea what he looks like

>>17302894

There's this, too. It seems like yesterday that it was 2013 and that was 3 years ago.
>>
I would never have asked this of anybody, not even close friends, so this probably makes me even angrier as a result.
>>
I would go, OP. You are just getting anxiety. You've been talking to this person for 9-10 years. He has other groomsmen he could ask to be his best man but he asked you which makes me feel like you two are pretty damn close.

You might have an amazing time getting shitfaced drunk at a wedding with a bro you'll finally meet. Who knows? You may gain a true friend for life. Do it. Live life, don't wimp out and fucking stay at home jerking off like a total beta fgt.
>>
>>17303162

I've compromised, I'm going to go but I'm going to hate it and make it clear that he made a mistake inviting me.

His bride to be is a nice lady that he also met online and I don't want to let her down.

But he's a fucking idiot and I'm crashing this friendship, with no survivors.
>>
>>17303910
But why? You sound conflicted, like you want to stay this guys friend. He didn't wrong you, he just asked if you would be his best man and you accepted, You had a choice, dude, he didn't force this on you at all. This isn't on him, and you shouldn't make his wedding weekend a disaster for him just because you're mad at yourself for refusing to go...
>>
>>17302592
Will there be any fine bitches there?
>>
Don't be fag OP , who knows you might enjoy it , and have a great time. It's not about you having a good time it's about him and his wedding day. This man cared enough to make a random stranger his best man.
>>
>>17303919
>This man cared enough to make a random stranger his best man

He said they've known eachother for 10 years though.
>>
>>17303910
>he made a mistake inviting me
You still agreed to go. Not his fault.

>I'm crashing this friendship
But why? You guys have known each other so long. Why the fuck are you so mad? All he's done is invite a guy he obviously thinks very highly of to be a part of the biggest day of his life.

You don't deserve him as a friend.
>>
You should rehearse your best man's speech and toast here.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.