[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>just got a BS in Mech E >no prior work experience, not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1456430080098.jpg (167 KB, 600x3031) Image search: [Google]
1456430080098.jpg
167 KB, 600x3031
>just got a BS in Mech E
>no prior work experience, not even an internship or past salaried position
>don't have a car of my own
>working on getting driver's license
>currently back at home instead of the state I want to work in
>already feel myself falling into the NEET trap of past summers

Can anyone speak to their experiences trying to find work out of college? If anyone that old is still browsing 4chan, that is. I'm trying to figure out how to get myself back to Chicago for work, but without the funds I find myself stuck. I at least want to pick up my driver's license before leaving home again, but I'm not sure how I should tackle getting the money I need. I have friends in the area who might be able to help me with housing for a bit, but I don't know if I have the confidence to leave home again without the fiscal security.
>>
>>17302143
The only people I ever see having this issue are those that:

a) did not try work related programs in college
b) passed by the skin of their teeth
c) did not participate enough to get decent recommendations
d) uninterested in attending job fairs leading up to graduation

Do any of these fit your situation?
>>
>>17302148
I didn't take work study in college, and my freshman year was riddled with C's. I ended up hitting above a 3.0 every quarter following fall quarter of sophomore year, but only did well enough to get a 3.15 cumulative. I don't believe I had strong enough connections with my professors to get recommendations from aside from my major advisor and maybe one professor who's seen me work exceptionally hard to catch up in his courses. I have gone to career fairs, but I was always struck with anxiety given that I was in direct competition with my peers and not as confident in my abilities as an engineer. I might've had more confidence if I attempted to involve myself in an engineering project / extracirricular, but I ended up spending most of my time outside of studying with band and my fraternity. Basically, I spent the entirety of college not really considering how to develop my professional career, and I am currently resolving a number of smaller steps in order to ensure they don't hold me back from getting a job any more than the lack of experience does.

I have had a few interviews in the past month, but they have been the result of applying online. I manage to stand out in the hundred or so applying, but I'm a tough sell when I think of all my shortcomings.
>>
>>17302179
yeah, i can see how that would be a tough sale. did you take any business com classes, or know how to write your own resumes?

i'd suggest just looking online and finding jobs you like, making targeted resumes and researching the company to kill in the interview.

you could always look at master's programs, but this time going in with goal of busting ass, and securing even better recommendations... when people look at your educational history, something that always sticks out is your ability to continue on given any challenges.

"After securing my BA, I decided to pursue XYZ with a more direct focus not just in order to succeed with my educational goals, but to excel and master in the application of such." blah blah, drivel drivel...

Gloss it over, either way.
>>
>>17302206
I took a career development course early on which taught me how to format my resume. I've also taken a public speaking course which further supplements my speaking skills. Otherwise I haven't had much experience with work.

I did consider going for the BS/MS program at my uni, but after meeting with the director of the program he told me that no one with my GPA has gotten into the program. Even when a 3.5 grants automatic admission, a student with a 3.4 was denied admission. I figured I would do my best to gain work experience prior to pursuing higher education, as I'd also be in a much better spot financially if I wait until after I become a professional.

I'm currently applying to companies seeking design engineers, as something I'm looking forward to in engineering is the opportunity to design with the consumer in mind. I've worked on a couple of projects with clients in college through coursework, and I do my best to mention these projects in interviews and my resume.

Maybe I ought to stick close to home for a bit and look for work around here. I figured leaving home would be the quickest way to light a fire under my ass and find a job, but I'm just not sure where I need to be money wise before leaving the Seattle area.
>>
>>17302179
A NASA engineer told me once that my 'C' in Dynamics was great because he got a 'D' when he took it at Purdue and never looked back.

I can tell you from experience that many people leave home without having realizing that its a trap of its own because it's what we do in America: You turn 18 and you move out. You pay your own bills and instead of you being able to save money you have to make it on your own. It's not all entirely wrong, as you never know what it's like until you actually do it yourself.

Anyway, my point is you shouldn't feel bad about getting a job near home if possible, and staying there until you are on your feet. If you get a guaranteed job offer somewhere else with pay that would support you getting an apartment, then and only then should you consider moving.

I struggled living on my own because my other half wasn't helping with the bills. She got the axe but on the other hand I have a firend that got an IT job in Quantico mainly because of 5 years Army IT experience and a TS/SCI clearance. It was contractor and it was 42k a year (roughly). After all his bills he barely had enough to eat anything but rice and chicken and was miserable.

Weigh your options but don't feel bad if you have to hang at home for a bit so long as you keep moving forward and don't get complacent.

And get your driver's license ASAP, the likelyhood of you getting hired by any job is extremely low if you don't have your own transportation, especially engineering when they need you to pull more hours to hit the deadline.
>>
>>17302232
I'm afraid I just don't have the best advice here. When my GPA dropped to a 3.88 from a 4.0 in sophomore year and I lost $18k in Merits, it lit the fire under my ass because I lost my stringed-carrot.

I hope you the best of luck, and I could never blame a student from just enjoying life in college. I honestly think advisers should be pulling in students more frequently and letting them know what exactly their grades will get them after college.

The only thing I have to offer is what I said previously, maybe write targeted resumes and gloss over things that may get your bell rung.

I can just imagine you being in a position of creditors calling soon asking where their payments are as well. That sucks :( Good luck, anon.
>>
>>17302232
Typing from phone sorry for any typos.

I have no encouraging story but advice. I graduated from school in 2014. Basically your same story as second post about work study and shitty first semester grade. But I had 3 internships, 3.o and lokin for work. I went a whole year without a job. I was forced to take a restaurant job. I got too comfy. Stopped applying. Happy with my slave labor wage. I quit 6 months later. And I haven't found a job since. I'd overqualified for pharmacy and fast food places. Rarely get callback interview.s

I guess my advice would be to build up your resume in something remotely related. Make finding a job your job. Read up on resume tips. Look for professionals to critique it. Look for jobs that might not be ideal. Start somewhere. Don't ame the same mistakes ivd made.
>>
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm glad I could get a good sense of things here, if all places.

I'll probably opt for some driver's lessons, since I know my mom's not gonna spend five hours with me while I learn to drive. I might not find something directly in my major open right now, but I'll do my best to keep searching.
>>
File: 1449446811136.jpg (95 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1449446811136.jpg
95 KB, 960x960
>>17302232
Don't just set off on your own and set yourself up for failure. If you think it will light a fire under your ass, it might but that is a fire lit of desperation and those don't always work how we would like.

I mean that if you don't get a job under your feet before long enough it will simply burn you, or you'll have to get something quick and may end up only making enough to stay afloat till your lease is up on the apartment you'll be in.

While your working your ass off there, you'll be looking for jobs elsewhere but will have to hope you will get let out of the lease if you get another one, else you're paying the difference and going more in the hole.

Not saying that will definitely happen, but that a very likely outcome and a real risk. The risk of staying at home is beating lethargy and apathy to get yourself moving. I think you are better at home but truly steeling yourself to do what you need to pursue your career while having steady footing the start with.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.