[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
BU (scholarship) or Columbia (debt)?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
hey /adv/,

Got the college acceptances. The best schools I got into are Boston University and Columbia University. BU is offering a decent scholarship that will allow me to graduate with little or possibly no debt. Columbia on the other hand isn't offering anything, so if I go there I'm going to wind up with a ton of debt.
So the question is, is it worth going to Columbia even if it means going into debt? Does having the name on my resume mean that much more than BU that it will pay off?

Extra details, if they mean anything: my reach schools were Caltech and Columbia, my "fit" schools were Boston U, Kalamazoo, University of Iowa, and UC Santa Cruz, and my safety schools were Grove City College and Harding U (applied to those safeties to make my conservative family happy). I got into everything except Caltech. I had an A-/B+ average, high test scores, and lots of extracurriculars.
>>
What major?

If its a legit major, go to Columbia.
If its English, Philosophy or Sociology tier, BU.
>>
Anon, no matter what anyone tells you: You are not guaranteed a job once you get out of school. Unless Columbia has strong evidence to the contray of this, it is not worth the crippling debt. Being able to graduate with a degree and not be a slave to a crippling debt is worth far more than the fancy name on the degree.

Once you're out in the work force, your merits and achievements outside of school will weigh heavier anyway. I will say this though: If Columbia has a great reputation for the major you're are trying to achieve, then it is a risk you must consider, despite any claim of employment after.

Anything can happen between now and your senior year: Mono, death in family, injury, and not all of them warrant a refund for the semester. I say free education is the best option in my opinion and likely the opinion of every person who has graduated with a bachelor's or higher. Weigh carefully if you choose a path that ends with you starting in the hole.
>>
>>17302048
This is a good point, Columbia would be something of a gamble because if I find myself in debt, I'd basically be counting on the name power of Columbia to get me a good job and get me out of it.
>>
>>17302419
If you work hard and take advantage of everything Columbia has to offer you will get a job. Boston is no slouch however. Boston will get you to the same places (depending on what you study) with the added bonus of being debt free.

Also OP, this board is surprisingly bad at giving college advice. Seems like most of the people either haven't been, or don't do well, so take their advice with a grain of salt.
>>
>>17302436
>If you work hard and take advantage of everything Columbia has to offer you will get a job

Spoken like a college recruiter. At bet it is extremely likely but it is still not a certainty and it never is.

If both colleges are of sufficient renown, then it's obvious that you would want the one with no debt afterwards. His earning power will be the same and even if there is a discrepancy, after actually working in his field, his accomplishments are what will truly sell his resume.

On top of this, he's not paying 10~50% of his paychecks starting off in the world just to try and break even again with the degree he earned. I was a school teacher and i always told my students that they should do something after school, but remember college costs money so get your grades in line so you can go for free because that debt follows many people to the grave otherwise.
>>
>>17302436
lol noted... I have some idea of how well-reputed Columbia is because it's so famous and prestigious, but I need to learn more about how people view BU. I hear it's recognized as a good school, but I don't hear as much about it in media as I do Columbia, so I need to get a better idea.

>>17302456
the gravity of being in a bad debt situation is also something to consider, for sure
>>
>>17302020

You would be nuts not to go to BU over Columbia with a free ride. Here's why:

They are tied for mid-range pay scale rankings, and although Columbia notches BU in early wage scales, you'd be paying debt and that pay advantage is out window.

Don't listen to any advice recommended based on a damn name, especially when it has no benefit other than sounding flashy in conversation. Do some research.

Good luck, anon.
>>
>>17302456
It's like you didn't read the sentence immediately after where I said Boston would be just as good and would get him to the same places without debt.
>>
>>17302546
Thanks for the stats!
>>
>>17302020
Columbia has a policy that if they accept you they'll find a way - mix of scholarships, work, and loans - for you to be able to afford it. Apply for financial aid and see what sort of package they put together for you.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.