[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've hit a slump in life, just living alone and working
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: 1457868472413.jpg (102 KB, 460x608) Image search: [Google]
1457868472413.jpg
102 KB, 460x608
I've hit a slump in life, just living alone and working a kinda above-average retail job. Vidya and some hobbies fill my time, but I don't feel fulfillment or connection with many people.

Religion has bugged me for years but agnostic skepticism has kept me from pursuing it (mainly the supernatural aspects of religion; the whole living by a code and doing good deeds appeals to me)

I want to get involved with some group or community to do things, connect, and acquire personal fulfillment. I feel a religious pursuit fits this, but I just can't handle going to church and not believing in God. The other belief that appeals to me is Buddhism, but theres no temples nearby and Nirvana is lost on me.

Has anyone else had similar issues pursuing faith? Perhaps I havent seen enough to believe, what actions/reads may influence this? Pic loosely related
>>
That describes about 90% of us, we all want people to connect with. faith is a tough subject and I am not sure how to advise you on that but when it comes to making friends try to find something you enjoy that you can with other people. I do spartan races, its not for everyone but I like the people I have met.
>>
>>17300923
Good-will, fairness, friendliness, willingness to help and want for peace are values not owned by any religion, no matter how often they try to copyright them (..."christian values". Sure...)

The "supernatural aspects" of religions are, arguably, what makes the religion. Per definition, a Christian is a follower of Christ, not a good person, (although the two things can coexist).

If you're just after a code you don't need a god of any kind, OP. Even the boy scouts match your current criteria.
>>
>>17300923
I've been in that same slump for 10 years.
>>
Often going to churches or whatever can be intimidating and full of the supernatural stuff.

I got into Christianity and rediscovered my faith after going to a university group for Christians. We have a church service but it's pretty casual, and there's free food

At the end of the day, Christianity is about the interpretation of this supernatural stuff, and when you're at a Christian group for young people the focus is on the interpretation and it's really nice, rather than long boring meaningless biblical readings.

If Christianity isn't for you, when my dad was younger he pursued many religions looking for the right one, and he bought heaps of books on the subjects and explored many.

If Buddhism is your thing you don't necessarily need a temple, there will probably be many Buddhist groups where you live, so you can talk to other younger people and get more understanding, this is also much less intimidating.

tldr
>buy some sick books and talk to smaller, more youthful religious groups
>>
>>17300923
ive heard unitarians are like that, but I dont know if its true
>>
>>17300923
Well, having a strong psychedelic experience might help by giving you a view of your self and the world around you that is completely without ego and that all humans are, are conduits for what is called consciousness, and that we are all already connected on a deeper level. Or if that's not your cup o' joe. Try reading the book of five rings. Its a non religious text that helped me look at life with more purpose, but as always be a filter and not a sponge, you cant learn everything from books. Also i don't condone following Christianity specifically because of their cult-like belief system, but food for thought. How can someone prove there isn't a god when no one can adequately explain what god is. And don't over think everything.
>>
OP here, thanks for all the responses. I'm at work but will reply a bit later with detail if anyones around
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.