[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any teachers around here? Preferably on the College
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1463103575786.jpg (224 KB, 1279x1280) Image search: [Google]
1463103575786.jpg
224 KB, 1279x1280
Are there any teachers around here? Preferably on the College or Highschool levels? I've wanted to be a teacher since I was a little kid, and I'm in comm college now just working away at pre-reqs and such, but I realized I really have no clue what to do to actually become a teacher. So I'd like to know what are the steps to take to actually become a teacher. Here are my questions:

>Is it better to take an education major, or to major in the subject I want to teach? (Which would be English or History)
>Is the pay really that bad? I feel like the work would be worth it, but some of my hobbies can get pricey at times
>How do you connect with students and get them to be passionate about what you're teaching?
>Public School or Private School?

Thank you in advance for your response, I appreciate it.
Pic Unrelated
>>
my girlfriend is becoming an art teacher, she said its better job security to get a bachelor in your subject then get a masters in education.
>>
Since you didn't bother stating your nationality, I'm gonna assume you're a US citizen.

I have no idea how the teaching profession works in the US. The only thing I've heard, based on numerous greentext stories on 4chan, is that public schools are awful.

I took a bachelor degree as music teacher in Norway, and I've found that understanding the learning processes and cognitive development of children is vital to working in classrooms.
>>
>Is it better to take an education major, or to major in the subject I want to teach? (Which would be English or History)
Absolutely do NOT get a degree in education unless you plan to be a principal or superintendent. Get a history degree above english- some business firms like the one I'm in are actually looking for history majors right now, so if teaching doesn't suit you, there's a fallback option.
>Is the pay really that bad? I feel like the work would be worth it, but some of my hobbies can get pricey at times
Depends on where you live, and what school district you teach in. It's literally minimum wage around Detroit, and it's pretty substantial in Arizona. Do some research, see what the average salary for a high school teacher is near you and see if you're up for it.
>How do you connect with students and get them to be passionate about what you're teaching?
You don't( at least with ALL of them). I've found that no matter what, some kids don't give a flying fuck about the subject, or their grades. After the first test, take the ones that got A's and B's as your core class and try to arrange the seats so they're distributed among the others. There's a ton of teaching philosophy, this is only one of many, MANY techniques you can use.
>Public School or Private School?
Private if you can get into it, but you'll probably have to begin your career as a teacher public. Avoid charter schools.
>>
>>17300734
bump for mutual interest. Also, I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm wondering what the best path is...

undergrad --> credential --> teach a little --> get masters ???

Would it be feasible to get an MA in English and a credential...or is MA in education better?
>>
>>17300734
bandteacherfag
>ed major or subject major
(assuming USfag, fuck off if otherwise) most states require a bachelors in a teaching major (ex.: history education, math education)
>pay
payscale info is public info, you can find it on district websites. you're not going to make $60k for a while, but you get comp'd with a decent benefits package and dirt cheap insurance (horace mann ftw)
>connect
be interesting and passionate about it
>public/private
public all the way, private schools are for the religionfags
>>
>>17300793
get your undergrad/certification and teach for a few years, then do a masters online while teaching
>>
>>17300793

What's your long-term goal? If you want to teach at a collegiate level and that's it, avoid majoring in education. Advisors tell me to get my bachelor's, get the cred, and teach my way through to my master's. Seems like a logical way to approach it.
>>
>>17300734
1) If you want to teach soon as you have your bachelor's you will want an education degree. Here in Ohio if you have just a history degree and apply for a job you won't even be looked at as you are required to have either a Early, Middle, or Adult Young Adolescent education degree and be certified by the state to teach those subjects. If you just get a degree in a field you will have to take extra courses to be able to teach. Do your masters AFTER you have been hired. Most districts pay scale will require them to pay someone who has their masters more than someone with just a bachelor's. So...if a district is looking to hire and has two candidates fresh out of school and one has just a bachelor's and the other has a masters degree they will be more inclined to go with the cheaper option and skip over a young, inexperienced teacher who they will have to pay $5,000 more.

2) Depends on the state and district.

3) I'll let you figure that out. I don't feel like writing a dissertation.

4) Depends on what you want, but I would recommend public. Most private schools hire on a one year contract that the school gets to decide if they want to renew each year and if it is a religious school you will have to abide by their beliefs. Say you are in a relationship, living together unwed, and expecting a child, guess what? They can fire you. I had a guy I worked with get let go because he was at a Catholic School and was getting a divorce, since they don't really abide by that sort of thing. I'd recommend avoiding charter schools.
>>
Lots of good info in this thread. Again, though, the country and even state you are looking to teach in will have different requirements for employment.

1. Skip the education major unless you want to teach immediately. Get a BA in something you are passionate about. Once you're hired, if it's a school that requires an education degree, you can get one online or something. I learned more in my 3 months of student teaching than I did in my entire Master's course in Education.

2. Look around. Depending on country and position, you could get paid a lot or nothing at all. Teachers do get a lot of benefits that are non-monetary, though.

3. Everyone has to find their own way to connect with students. But being passionate about what you're teaching will help build credibility and trust with your students.

4. No experience in Private, so I can't say. Sorry.
>>
Thanks for all the great information so far, and it seems like I was on the right track. The major I'm currently taking at comm college is a math ed. major technically (Technical College so no humanities to speak of).

And to confirm yeah I'm a USfag on the east coast of the country. Live in a tiny shitstain state and I want to move somewhere that isn't a flyover state.
>>
>>17300767

>history degree over English

Social Science teachers (history) are even more numerous than English teachers. The system is inundated with them.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.