[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am being told i should sue lyft. I have no idea where to even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot 2016-04-15 12.17.25.png (163 KB, 1046x614) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot 2016-04-15 12.17.25.png
163 KB, 1046x614
I am being told i should sue lyft. I have no idea where to even begin and to be honest I have zero moneys. i scrounge up an extra couple hundred bucks a month but things are tighter than usual.

do i have any hope in this or what?
>>
File: 1450693460376.jpg (34 KB, 318x359) Image search: [Google]
1450693460376.jpg
34 KB, 318x359
>>17299458
We're going to need some details here mate.
>>
>>17299491

>get a lyft home
>guy seems friendly we chat
>we talk about where we've been
>i mention guam
>he says he cant go there or hed lose his wife
>i ask what he means
>says you can get a girl to take care of you for a week for 20 bucks there
>i explain thats not true, its more expensive to live there than in california, prostitution exists but its not an industry the way it is in hawaii or okinawa cuz our main source of tourism is from japan
>he insists im just a child and dont understand
>i say 'im not a child, i manage a business, and I've actually lived there so i would no better'
>i start to unbuckle my belt cuz were right around the corner from my place
>keeps calling me a child starts saying 'BETTER BE CAREFUL YOU'RE STILL IN MYYYYY CAR'
>i get out at my stop say
>okay, enjoy your tip
>flip him off
>he gets out of the car yelling and running
>chases me up to my gate
>i kick him as he comes at me, but hes over 6 feet tall and extremely jacked
>he starts doing this thing where he 'whacks' my arms and chest, sometimes grabbing and squeezing
>i do my best to fend him off, start screaming for help
>someone comes by and says they'll call the cops
>he leaves and says 'NEVER FLIP SOMEONE OFF'
>i of course flip him off as he says this.
>i call lyft they file a report
>next day wake up sore and have bruises
>lyft sends me a message saying 'there will be disciplinary action' and that 'we hope your future rides will be more enjoyable'
>>
>>17299458
Haha I'm in that OP pic
>>
>>17299527

so was I
>>
>>17299511
>starts fight
>loses fight
>Waaaah! I'll sue!
This can't be real... right? Right!?
>>
>>17299539

>starts fight

the dude was coming right at me. that is considered reasonable threat.

why would a driver get out of his car and literally chase you up to the gate.

i didnt start a fight i defended myself.
>>
>>17299547
Not who youre replying to, but

You started that fight by flipping him off.
>>
>>17299559

im sorry, so its okay to threaten someone and call them a child, but flipping someone off is going too far?

in what court of law do they say
>well he threatened you and called you a child but FLIPPING SOMEONE OFF IS ILLEGAL

think about it.
>>
Did you take photos of your bruises
>>
>>17299547
Oh please. You were the first to act with belligerence. You were the first to get violent. That doesn't excuse the driver's actions, but don't pretend like you were a totally innocent victim acting entirely in self-defense.
>>
>>17299571
Seconded
>>
>>17299568

i do have photos of the bruises yes.

>>17299571
>>17299571

no i wasn't. he got out of his car and chased me up to the gate. i dont know if you actually known anythign about the law but what i did doesn't even fall in to 'stand your ground'. i tried to leave, i was backed against my gate with nowhere to go, he was running right at me.

the law says he clearly had intent to attack, so all i did was put my foot up. how woudl it have hit him if he wasn't coming right for me?

the law says he was threatening me and chasing me down. i wasn't even in 'stand your ground' which is where i could have just stayed there in the street and fought back. i fled, he caught me, i fought back.

legally im in the right 100%.

he threatened me and called me a child because i said 'im not a child'. how am i not the victim here?
>>
You won't get shit. Did you for a police report? Maybe try giving yourself internal bleeding now then file a police report
>>
>>17299590

i havnet filed yet, im going to today after work, i get off in two hours. i was waiting to hear back from lyft cuz i assumed id need this persons name to file charges against him, but they refuse to give it to me.
>>
despite all this, my biggest concern is that with no witnesses and no proof outside of my bruises, this will ultimately just be he said she said, and ill end up just paying a lawyer for nothing. not even sure i could get a restraining order.

all i got are a couple of small bruises on my arm and boob
>>
I don't know about the wisdom of suing Lyft, but you could certainly contact the police and make a complaint that this guy attacked you.

Lyft is likely to be found liable for this guy's behavior unless he's had a reported history of being belligerent or physically violent.

The fact that you deliberately antagonized the guy would be taken into consideration in both a criminal case by the state against him, or a civil suit initiated by you. When you do shit to provoke a fight, that really undermines your claim that you didn't want to get into a fight.

Anyway, if you want to know if you have a good chance of winning a civil case, contact a couple lawyers, tell them your story, and see what they have to say. If anyone's willing to take your case on a contingency basis, they have reason to believe that you could win (or at least receive a decent settlement).
>>
>>17299628

interesting, thank you.

i dont know why people keep insisting that I antagonized him.

he called me a child and threatened me while i was in his vehicle.

i flipped him off. how is my equally legal retaliation antagonizing him? he escalating the situation every step of the way.
>>
>>17299595
You don't need a name to file a police report. You can tell them what happened, they'll go figure out who it is based on the information you provide them. If Lyft refuses to provide the identity of their driver to the police they're potentially going to be creating some huge problems for themselves.

You can also sue civilly (either Lyft or the driver) without knowing the identity of the driver and have the court compel Lyft to provide his identity.
>>
>>17299633
>i dont know why people keep insisting that I antagonized him.
This has to be bait.
>>
>>17299511
You should blow this story up. People like that shouldn't be driving for lyft or uber and the whole "safe ride" shit is bullshit. Uber and lyft drivers are huge creeps despite their extensive backup checks, most of my female friends have been propositioned by those freaks.
>>
>>17299609
>boob

Wait, you're a girl?
>>
>>17299633
>i flipped him off. how is my equally legal retaliation antagonizing him? he escalating the situation every step of the way.

You seem stupid. Do you know what the word "antagonize" means? You obviously have internet access, so go to google and search for "antagonize definition".

What was your intent in flipping the guy off? Because it certainly seems to me that you did it to antagonize him, and it certainly seems very foreseeable that this would lead to a physical confrontation.

Your right to free expression IS NOT UNLIMITED. Saying or doing something to provoke someone into a fight is in fact illegal in a lot of jurisdictions (again, use the fucking internet to search for "fighting words doctrine").
>>
>>17299658

>calls me a child
>threatens me
>but flipping him off means its all my fault

think about it.

>>17299670

there's only so much a company can do, and I'll readily admit that, but the fact that they're treating this like a 'whoopsie daisy' and have stopped responding to my emails is beyond infuriating.

>>17299679

you mean like how he threatened and insulted me? you guys are acting like im the only one who did anything here and he deserves to get off scott free simply because i responded to him.

what kind of pussy bitches are you when a female will actually stand up for herself but all you wads will just let a guy threaten you and be like 'O-OKAY PLEASE DONT HURT ME!' in response.

i flipped a guy off after he threatened me. im not in the wrong in any way here.

>>17299671
yes
>>
>>17299691
>>17299670
Post the dude on social media. An uber driver sexually assaulted a girl recently here and uber didn't do much until the dudes name was all over Facebook and Instagram.
>>
>>17299776

i dont have it. all i know is his names matthew. thats literally it.

they did suspend his account as soon as i called so i dont even have a screencap of his picture.
>>
Both you and the driver are at fault. You both antagonized the other. You both needlessly escalated the situation. The way you continue to deny this suggests the driver was at least partially right: you ARE a child.
>>
>>17299820

>you are a child for explaining how prostitution works in guam.

someone insulted and threatened me. i flipped him off.

in what world are you supposed to just sit there and say 'o-okay, please dont hurt me'

what he did was bully someone half his size for explaining their experiences in a country hes never been to.

what i did was stand up for myself.
>>
>>17299820
>>17299833

all that being said, i did say 'yeah i shouldnt have flipped him off'.

but my legal retaliation to his threat does not warrant illegal action against me.
>>
>>17299691
>you guys are acting like im the only one who did anything here

Really? How do you figure that? I don't agree with >>17299571, but you're apparently one of those morons that thinks that if someone doesn't think you're a perfect little angel that they must be "against" you or something.

You're an idiot for trying to make the argument that "flipping someone off isn't illegal, so there's no way that flipping someone off can antagonize someone". So again, if you weren't trying to antagonize him, what was your intention in flipping him off? I expect another non-answer deflection to this along the lines of "blah blah blah I did nothing wrong stop picking on me."

The guy was physically the aggressor and because of that he stands a good chance of being convicted of a crime (assault/battery) if you make a complaint, but you certainly played your part in instigating the fight. And YOUR antagonistic behavior is the biggest reason why he might NOT be convicted of a crime (again, should you make a complaint).

"I did nothing wrong, this guy was just a big meanie and hit me out of nowhere for no reason" is just stupid and you actually believe this, you are seriously self-delusional.
>>
>>17299925

you guys got me there.

he threatened me with violence and insulted me for explaining my experiences in guam.

so i flipped him off. to make him mad. i responded to his illegal threats by flipping him off.

legally i am not in the wrong. legally he is.

he is a 'big meanie'. you guys act like he didnt threaten me or didnt insult me.

are you saying in that situation you'd just sit there and what? apologize? beg for forgiveness? ask him not to hurt you?

or just sit there and let another guy walk over you?

i didn't instigate. he instigated illegally mind you. i retaliated legally.

to be honest you're a lot like him.
>YOU DISAGREE WITH ME SO THAT MAKES YOU A CHILD

he didnt hit me for 'no reason'. he threatened me for no reason.
>>
>>17299940
Lawyers will usually give you an opinion/consultation for free, and you can discuss whether you have a case or not. If he does take the case, Lyft can be subpoenaed to give you his name. I'm pretty sure your case would be against him, since they're all technically contractors. Anyway, call a lawyer, or a few, and ask their opinions. Also, maybe don't start shit with people who can beat your ass in a heartbeat, that's just being a dipshit.
>>
>>17299979

i didnt start it. he threatened me before i did anything but disagree with him.

if you mean lay down and just let anyone walk all over me, no. id rather die.
>>
Call the cops and consult with a lawyer your insufferable fuck head.
>>
>>17300385

consulting with lawyer. going to police station after work.

you insufferable fuck head.

there. you insulted me, i insulted you back. now its okay for you to hit me.
>>
>>17300373
You're changing your story because you don't like that people are telling you that you contributed to escalating the situation. If you care so much what a bunch of anonymous people think of you, go erase >>17299511 so that it's not so obvious that you're full of shit.

>>17299940
You're a moron if you think the only two possible responses you have are "please don't hurt me" and a gesture that most guys are going to take as "come at me bro". You're also a moron if you try to antagonize someone you really think is going to successfully commit serious violence on you if antagonized. The reality is that you thought you were going to get a pass because you're female, and it's very likely that you've gotten that pass in the past.

>legally i am not in the wrong. legally he is.
Why are you in here asking legal questions if you know the law so well? I don't know where you live, but the reality is that if you challenge someone to a fight, you may be reducing or removing any criminal culpability on his part if he attacks you.

It's also been pointed out to you that when you try to incite someone to fight with your words or gestures, that can in fact be a crime.

>you guys act like he didnt threaten me or didnt insult me.
Claiming threats of violence prior to giving him the finger is something new and is so transparently self-serving that it's an obvious lie. Where has anyone written that he didn't insult you or that he didn't attack you? People are pointing out that you contributed to the situation and that your behavior can have consequences both in what would happen if you make a criminal complaint or in the success of a civil suit.

Your attitude is "he's an asshole, so it's impossible for me to be an asshole". Well no. What becomes more and more clear every time you post is that you're both assholes.

I really hope you do contact the police about this, because the world doesn't need a violent piece of shit on the road picking up strangers.
>>
>>17300564

it said right in my second post that he threatened me before i retaliated with a finger. just cuz i worded it instead of saying 'then he threatened me'.
>>
File: 1461632610706.jpg (80 KB, 766x960) Image search: [Google]
1461632610706.jpg
80 KB, 766x960
>>17299511
You flipped him off for no fucking reason, how pathetic. You're a petty manchild. You started it and you're lucky he didn't just kick your ass.
>>
>>17300635

>you flipped him off for no fucking reason

you mean how he called me a child and threatened me? you guys act like the middle finger is somehow worse.

>manchild

womanchild.
>>
>>17299531
Oh what's up bro
>>
You act like a man you, get your ass whooped like a man.

>w-what do you mean my actions have consequences?
>but I'm a strerng womyn
>waah I'm gonna dob on youuu

You wont win shit, you aren't a victim, grow the fuck up.
>>
Sue the fuck out of them man

Everyone else can suck a dick. Sue.
>>
>>17299628
I second this shit. I say go for it if a lawyer thinks you've got a shot. You flipped him off and he took it to the next level, pursuing you.

I don't know much of the law myself, but the fact he took that extra mile to basically follow you to your residence might be of significance.
>>
>>17299588
Intent is the most difficult to prove in a civil suit, because you're telling the judge/jury what YOU think someone else intended, and it has to match finely with everything that took place.

As a Law student myself, I would suggest dropping it, his actions, while stupid, were no less stupid than yours and he is potentially out of a job.

Lyft will not easily be at fault, you have to prove negligence on their behalf; and if he has no history of violence, you will be hard pressed to even be able to go beyond a motion or two with their presence in a court-room. You will likely be counter-sued by Lyft for damages resulting in their appearance.

In their defense, they are completely out of the entire scope of the transaction the moment you got out of his car and paid them. Him getting out of his car is beyond the scope of his duties as provided by their employment, so if anything, you will only be able to press on against him, if that.

In his defense, you have to prove he intended you bodily harm, but again, that is difficult to prove and his defense could claim he got out to damn an apology from you, which is perfectly acceptable, and you proceeded to attack him, causing bodily harm. The moment you assaulted him, he had every right to defend himself if he did not initiate a physical altercation.

He could more easily sue you, than you him, because you initiated the altercation by flipping him the bird, and when he removed his person from the card and approached you, you assaulted him. His case for intent is much greater, because of those factors and the fact you initiated contact.

Please do not take that as legal advice, I am merely answering a thread and while I am a Law student, I am not a licensed Lawyer. If through your understanding of the law you think you have a case, you should always seek consultation.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.