[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Canadian military?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 29xw1a0.jpg (134 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
29xw1a0.jpg
134 KB, 1024x768
So I quit my 4 + year construction job because it was terrible. I've been on EI for almost a year, selling off appliances and stuff i have on buy-sell groups. I'm not sure what to do now that my EI ran out. I have been considering the Canadian armed forces. I'm 30 right now, 31 in december. Do they take oldfags like me? I'm trying to cut down on drinking and go for walks (not fat, but not super fit at all). How slow of a process is it to join? Can i sign up, and then be in training right away like within a month? navy,chairforce,regular, which is better? any tips or insight would be good. I don't care that it "doesn't pay so well" I just want to be shipped away from this shithole and do something different.
>>
>>17298785
So all you want is for one of us to tell you if youre too old???

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/oct/31/worlddispatch.annemcilroy

Youre not.
I think it could make a man out of you. Do it please.
>>
>>17298785
Canadian Forces Personnel here.

My advice is start running a lot. Start weight training. 31 isn't that old for us. If you have a backpack, put 50 pounds in there and walk 10km as fast as you can. Pay is somewhat decent but the bullshit either makes or breaks it.
>>
>>17298785
For the amount of time to join it is literally a person to person basis. It took me 5 weeks start to finish to join. Some people have taken 2 years.
>>
If you have any allergies, forget it.

You won't be able to join
>>
>>17298823
This is not true at all. Like when remotely.
>>
pic not really related. its an internet pic of my nicest rifle (my scope is better) been trying to hold back from selling it.
>>17298791

I feel lazy, but definitely still a man. I mean i did roofing in august for years, as well as carrying 60 pieces of drywall, etc in a day. What's my first step? Go to the recruitment office?

>>17298820
Thanks senpai, I have a backpack but not sure if it will hold that much without crapping out, I'll find out. I can lift nearly anything, but running kills me, so I guess i'll need to get on that.
>>17298822
2 years? damn, I'lll be out of money saved by 1 year :(

>>17298823
I'm not allergic to anything, except maybe weeaboos and anime.
>>
>>17298885
Yeah man. Remember to pick a trade you can do back as a civilian. That was my mistake. I have tons of skills but explosives aren't the most translatable thing...
>>
>>17298938
I wasn't aware you could pick a trade right away? most have told me you need to be in for years first.
I have a trade sort of as a carpenter, I just hate it lol. Nothing on paper either so I'm just a jerkoff.
I was thinking if i joined i'd just stay in the army until i'm 60 or so. I like the idea of having an excuse to be away from people currently in my life.
>>
>>17298970
When you join, you sign a contract based on the job you're offered/that you chose. You then go to basic. After basic is completed you usually go to your assigned training basr where you complete job specific training. If you go as a carpenter/construction tech you will go to Gagetown after basic. If you go there you can have a beer on me lol
>>
>>17298973
Hah, thanks I'm dying for a beer right now. Its boiling hot where I am. How would I go about getting to greenwood base? I sort of think I'd like to live there (own a shitty cabin nearby)
Also, after basic its pretty easy physically right? I see a lot of really fat people in uniform :S
>>
>>17298994
Well you're gonna have to pick an air force trade to get a posting there. There also has to be positions open for you. A lot of the tech trades and for some reason armoured has a bunch of fatties. If you pick combat arms, physical training is harder then basic. Especially infantry and combat engineer. Don't pick combat arms during peacetime lol.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.