[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any former IT people that have gotten out of IT and into something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: verticalscaling.jpg (5 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
verticalscaling.jpg
5 KB, 250x250
Any former IT people that have gotten out of IT and into something else?

I'm looking to get out of IT and into more of a business role. I'm tired of working in IT (I'm a DBA). So much of IT is being offshored and you don't really have any career prospects besides becoming an IT manager or director.

I tried asking this question on /g/ but my thread got deleted so I figured I'd ask here.
>>
This isn't really a /g/ question, that's probably why your thread was deleted. What would you like to do instead?
>>
>>17298107
I'm interviewing for a business analyst and an IT auditing position right now. I could see myself doing either one. Something that still leverages IT skills but allows me to learn business aspects at the same time.
>>
I moved from IT to finance. Well, I still do a lot of technical stuff, it was a good background for the switch. You need to have a real interest in it though and learn about it first.
>>
>I moved from IT to finance

Same. I went the self-employed route of day trading my own money.
Took a few small IT contracts during the transition (1 day/week commitment).
>>
>>17298148
>>17298154
One thing I'm worried about is if I do want to transition back into a technical IT role at some point in the future, I might have trouble.

Currently I already try to keep all my skills up to date... reading books, taking courses, self-practice, etc. so I think hiring managers would like that, but they might not like my lack of real experience after so long.
>>
>>17298176
I don't see the problem. You say in IT your career prospects are manager/director roles.
You want to pursue business role(s).

I assume both would be fine on a CV if you decided to pursue a business IT role in the future (such as manager/director).
>>
>>17298098
Hvac
>>
I'm actually trying to get into IT and i'm having trouble getting started on what courses to take and what roles i'll be doing. There's so many different types from what i'v learned from doing cabling to installing the equipment and working with system to reboot and transfer files. What would be the best avenue for someone getting into IT or should I just steer clear of it and do another trade?
>>
>>17298540
I was thinking that at one point as trades seem appealing, but I think I'd rather stay in an office job for now.

>>17298698
I don't think it's a bad field at all. I just didn't end up enjoying it as much.

The easiest way to get started would be some kind of help desk or desktop support role. It's possible to jump straight to some kind of sys admin role after school but you either need to have certs, relevant experience, a bachelor's, or you just need to be lucky and know someone.

I would say try and gain experience while you're in school and keep learning independently. Get some kind of desktop support job or work with a sys admin at your school. Try to get IT internships too over the summer.

You can study for certs too during or after school. A lot of schools have programs geared towards getting a CCNA for example, or you can try on your own time.

I'd recommend downloading VMware or Virtualbox and setting up sandbox systems with them as well. There's definitely a lot you can learn independently.
>>
I'm just getting into IT. This thread scares me.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.