[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Got into a diversity program. Wrong choice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
I am a ethnical minority (meaning I am white but from another country) and I choose to be a firefighter. From where I live, it is a very conservative job (more than 95% natives white) and very few immigrants are able to get the job. I was able to fit in and seen as an equal mostly because I don't really care about my origins and consider myself more of a local.

I recently joined a program that promotes diversity within the fire department. It's not something big, it is still underground and not many firefighters know about it.

>inb4 cuck/JIDF

The thing is that in the city where I live, local whites make up less than 60% of the population but they are over represented within the department at 97%. The goal is to raise awareness and encourage people of diverse ethnic groups and even women to join the department.

I am someone more on the conservative spectrum and don't dig all that "tolerance", "progress" and other cultural enrichment but I saw it as a chance to show them if they can fit in the "mold" like "Hey this is how things work here and if you are interested, I'll show you the ropes" and not changing the whole mentality of the department. Plus, it may be selfish but it will give me a bonus in my resume.

But now I am having second thoughts about it. I am afraid of the backlash I may get from the other firefighters and I'll look like an agitator or a traitor. I am not here to change things at all. You gotta fit into the mold and my goal is only to promote the job. Everyone must abide by the same standards.

Thoughts?
>>
if you can't justify why you're doing something then don't do it

But why did you want to do it in the first place? To help promote an awesome job to people who may not have ever considered it? To help those like yourself who have joined a department where they might feel like an other to integrate more easily?

Hardly seems worth it to back down because it might cause some imagined slight, maybe. If anyone ever confronted you you could point to those reasons why you're doing it.

Where do you work btw? I'm in the FDNY.
>>
>>17297906
Not going to tell my fire department for privacy reasons but it's in Canada. I am not officially a firefighter yet. I still have to do some training before I can apply at my fire department and I saw it as an opportunity to know more people and make a name in the department.

I listed you the reasons why I joined but I simply cannot turn a blind eye to the reality that most of the firefighters (at least those I met) are not fond of the idea of diversity. I understand that and my intention is only to show the reality and if they are interested and want to adapt, I'll gladly teach them. But by doing this, it may stain my name and maybe even not get the job.
>>
>>17297938
>Not going to tell my fire department for privacy reasons
jesus christ fuck off and die

>I am not officially a firefighter yet
wow, pathetic
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.