[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I got fired from my old job for swearing in front of a customer.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1385514596394.jpg (295 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1385514596394.jpg
295 KB, 1280x960
I got fired from my old job for swearing in front of a customer. (Bitch threw a fit.)

What do I say in an interview if they ask me why I left my last job?
>>
You don't say anything, because you leave that job off your employment history.
>>
>>17297551
I was there for half a year. How do I explain six months with no job?
>>
>>17297555
You're going to have to decide which looks worse: your poor customer service skills, or no job for 6 months.
>>
>>17297559
If you really wanted to include it, I would contact that employer and apologize and ask if they would be willing to be used as a reference and express positive things you did.

If he even asks in the interview he will realize you were still a good worker and your old boss cared enough to say. Say you were dealing with a neurotic and emotional unstable customer and became uncomfortable and responded in a way that wasn't entirely appropriate while on the clock speaking to your customer. Say you've learned from the experience and now clearly understand that you made a big mistake
>>
>>17297566
I mean, I already apologized. He seemed really sad about firing me, but HR forced him to.
>>
>>17297566
I think if OP got fired over it, it's not a case of being uncomfortable and responding in an inappropriate way that can be redeemed by an otherwise good job.
>>
>>17297570
Then I would talk to him and use him as a reference if he's cool. Maybe he will even mention that he personally didn't find it necessary but needed to comply with company policy as a fair boss
>>
>>17297574
People get fired for stupid reasons over unfair policies all the time. Any intelligent employer will take that into account. Idk the details of OPs situation or if her reaction was in any way justified or even may be acceptable in other places with different policies.
But I mean they don't even have to use the reference anyways so that may not even matter
>>
If you have a good reference there, I'd say put it on there. Most places don't give references in the traditional sense anyway because they're lawsuit-shy. They'd rather not increase their liability even a smidgen, even if it means you can skate by with no further blowback. They'll just say that you worked there from Date A to Date B. All you say is that you mutually agreed to part ways and you decided to pursue other opportunities; it's not morally honest but by the letter of the law, it's not something that'll get you in trouble.
>>
>>17297604
Good idea. Thanks.
>>
You say you put two weeks notice in (you quit because you were seeking better opportunities or some shit).

Make sure not to use that place as a reference. It's not like employers will check every job you had. They'll likely ask for two-three references and you obviously don't include any bad past employers in those references.
>>
>>17297555
only six months? I'm going to have to explain 4 years with no job after I turned 18.
>>
Truthfully, very few places check references.

Tell them whatever you want to tell them.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.