[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I change my interests? How do I stop being so utterly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: imagdfses.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
imagdfses.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
How do I change my interests? How do I stop being so utterly obsessed with my hobbies and creative outlets, and channel that obsession into proper adult pursuits, like finding a job and climbing a career ladder and making money? My life feels so empty and purposeless because the only things I'm interested in –music, lifting, and vidya – are juvenile, immature, and unable to provide me with any sort of economic or social grounding. I don't want to make a living off them. I want to learn to grow up, cut them out of my life, and pursue something that'll actually make me a better, more respectable person. So far, no matter how much I want to, I just can't bring myself to care about anything else.
>>
This has to be bait. No way anyone is this autistic.
>>
>>17295560
Nah. I'm 100% for real.

It's like all those threads asking how to get over a crush on someone you'll never have, or who is completely not right for you. Except in this case I'm not in love with a person. I'm in love with life directions that will do nothing for me. That people won't respect me for, that won't be able to support me.

I don't want them in my life any more. I just want to find the same sense of meaning and purpose and fulfillment that I get from going to gigs and beating video games in having a proper job, and working towards a family.

People don't respect the guy who's 30 and still thinks his garage band can make it. People don't respect the guy who's 30 and still loves video games. I know I don't. And I want to change. I just don't know how.
>>
>>17295560
I promised myself I'd try and learn about economics; about how taxes and investments work. I downloaded a library of ebooks on the subject. But every time I read a few pages my eyes glaze over and I find myself strumming my guitar or playing Dark Souls again.

I don't have a real job. I promised myself I'd find one. But every time i come close to one, I find excuses not to take it, so I can spend more time strumming my guitar or playing dark souls while living on the poverty line.

I'm sick of it and I'm disgusted by myself.
>>
>>17295582
>>17295574
You need to see a psychiatrist. You have severe mental issues if this is the way you're thinking.
>>
>>17295587
That's really not helpful.
>>
>>17295560
Nah he's just 18.
>>
>>17295659
OP here. I'm 24.
>>
Anon, i used to think getting rid of my unproductive hobbies will make me a better and more productive person, but it didn't. It made things far worse.

Try to set goals and reward yourself with hobby time. Simple.
What's your degree?

As long as you work and are functioning, you can do whatever shit you want, and nobody has the right to say it's uncool or immature.
>>
>>17295755
Bsci in Chemistry and History. It's hard enough to find work in those fields, but nobody wants to hire me for any professional jobs now i've spent so much time with an "employment gap" on minimum wage, menial jobs. Hell, I don't even list my degree on applications for menial jobs any more, because I get rejected for being overqualified.
>>
>>17295766
Have you tried applying to master degree? It opens career prospects in chemistry and you will have something to do.
>>
>>17295769
I actually got accepted into law school, but dropped out because I just couldn't bring myself to care about it.

A surgeon I went to earlier this year suggested I try to sit the medicine entry exam though. For some reason he seemed to think I'd be an alright doctor. I'm looking into it, but right now the cost of any degree, especially medicine, is a bit prohibitive.
>>
>>17295766
Don't list menial jobs on a application for a professional job. If the time gap comes up, mention something interesting: travel, research, etc.

In any case, you have serious issues you need to work on. It's not healthy to spend ALL your time on hobbies, but your attitude is making this way worse than it really is.
Hobbies are healthy, and you shouldn't "cut them out of your life"! You just need some balance.

Define a schedule. Starting tomorrow, spend 4 hours on hobbies, and the next 4 hours improving your life - looking for a job, studying, researching, whatever your goals are
>>
>>17295661
Dude, it's simple. You just decided to put that shut aside and look for a fucking job. No one wants to do it-you just get I. The car and drive to a college, job placement, or job fair and fill out paperwork. You comb your hair, shave your neckbeard, and look your Sunday best and smile like the adult you aim to be.
Then, when you have a job you go back to doing all that "juvenile" interests when you're not at work.
Ta-da!
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.