[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My boyfriend is mentally ill, and I don't know how to get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
My boyfriend is mentally ill, and I don't know how to get him to seek help. He has managed it all on his own better than one would expect considering how sick he is, but hes getting worse and I don't know what to do. His parents are no help, he still lives at home and he has managed to hide how sick he is from them, even though they've witnessed some of his... incidences. I think its because as soon as they get home from work they just smoke pot and watch TV, they even were oblivious to fact he was a pretty hardcore alcoholic for 3 years. Hes attempted suicide in the past, and has developed really strange behaviours. Hes obsessed with fidgetting and clicking, pens, small pieces of plastic. He keeps buying art supplies he never uses and buying box cutters, when he listens to music, he replays the same song over and over before switching to a different one, for the past three days its been I took a pill in Ibiza, and I can hear it through his headphones, its really annoying. I don't know what to do for him, because not many people know the side to him I know... all of his coworkers think hes the happiest, most optimistic upbeat guy ever, and for the most part he acts like it around me and his parents and his friends, but I've seen what lies under his happy act... its very dark and depressing, hes broken and sad and I just want to help him, I don't know how to help him, I've contemplated confronting his parents but I think that might make his homelife worse than it is. What do I do?
>>
>>17294607
>What do I do?

Leave and find a sane guy.

There's just nothing you can do here, really.
>>
Your boyfriend is a high functioning autistic.

But what do I know, this is 4Chan not a psychiatric hospital. Get him an appointment.

Please videotape your suggestion, though. I kinda want to see him sperg out and count the microseconds it takes you to fold.
>>
>>17294623
This. You can't change people. I can't even get my girlfriend to lock the front door every time she comes home. You think you can change a mental illness? Never gonna happen.
>>
Is this a joke? Are you shitposting? What you described is completely normal behavior.

Fidgeting is not a mental health issue. Buying shit you never use is not a mental health issue. Listening to the same song is not a mental health issue. Every single thing you listed off are totally mundane personality quirks. Go ask your mom about how she's been listening to the same Dire Straits album every day for the last 18 years.
>>
>>17294635
If your girlfriend is home, why does the door need to be locked? Shit man I lived in the worst part of a shitty city for 4 years and if I was home I only locked the door just before bed, and most of the time I didn't do that either.
>>
>>17294623
>>17294635
I don't want to leave him, hes honestly the nicest man I've ever met. I'm not the greatest person in the world but he accepts me for who I am. He does everything for me, and is always there for me... the bad doesn't outweigh the good with him... I'm just worried about him. Hes actually inhumanly nice, he always tries to make me happy, no matter how irrational I can sometimes be, I jokingly said I was going to cry if I didn't get some Icecream and he shown up at my place with a box of icecream... when I asked if he wanted to come in and eat it with me, he said he couldn't because he had work in the morning and drove the half hour back home. I just want him to get help.
>>17294629
He doesn't "sperg" out, hes never yelled at me, or fought with me, he usually just gets quiet... sometimes I'll get him to agree to get help, but he never makes the appointments and when he does he flakes on them. Now that hes working a regular job its even harder, and honestly, his job stresses him out so much I just want him to quit... hes also almost died a couple times while working there... he nearly got into a head on collision during a delivery and some crazy guy with a gun was walking around the parking lot of his work.
>>
>>17294607
OP!!!! Please get your bf psychiatric help. see a psychiatrist and a therapist. he clearly has something resembling OCD (i would know, i have it) and a lot of depression. he definitely needs help. we can't make a diagnosis or anything but i can say with absolute certainty that he needs professional help. HOPE IT WORKS OUT KWEEN!!!!!!!
>>17294648
kill yourself ugly loser
>>
>>17294665
>I jokingly said I was going to cry if I didn't get some Icecream and he shown up at my place with a box of icecream
this type of person will randomly murder you one day

he's the nicest guy you've ever met because he's broken. it's not "real" nice.
>>
>>17294648
>Listening to the same song is not a mental health issue.

yes it is. listening to the same song over and over and over is highly indicative of OCD and sometimes autism.
>>
>>17294699
Is samefagging highly indicative of OCD?
>>
>>17294699
well shit
>>
>>17294673
His father has OCD, but is a very nice guy, he just had a few strange ritual things he has to do, and is very routine. My boyfriend is very repetitive, he even plays incredibly repetitive videogames. He plays Doom 2 all the time, and he says finding the keys and matching the doors is relaxing.
>>17294699
I don't think hes Autistic, he used to be very extroverted and talkative... hes also very intelligent.
>>
>>17294713
>he says finding the keys and matching the doors is relaxing
>I don't think hes Autistic

.........he displays hallmark autistic behavior and you don't think he's autistic?

I dislike how much more intelligent than the general population this board makes me feel.

Sweetie, matching things up and feeling satisfied enough by it to doing it forever indicates autism. People play games to have different experiences, not the same one over and over.
>>
>>17294718
but its just one of the games he plays, granted he plays it way more than I think is normal considering how old it is and how basic it is. He doesn't like games with a lot of story, says story is pointless, when we play things together its frusterating because I like the cutscenes and they just seem to bore him and he always wants to skip them.
I don't know, i just think someone would have figured it out if he was autistic, he has a degree and did fairly well in college...
>>
File: 1466916529606.jpg (6 KB, 245x205) Image search: [Google]
1466916529606.jpg
6 KB, 245x205
>>17294607
Sounds just like me. My parents abused me so much i literally am insane and cabt get mental help :(

I live in america where so i dont know what to do to get real help. I think They just drug people like me and make me 100 times worse.
>>
>>17294713
Your boyfriend is me i got all the achievements in shitty games like mlb stickball and shitty games that take forever. Hes con firmed insane like me.
>>
>>17294732
>I don't know, i just think someone would have figured it out if he was autistic, he has a degree and did fairly well in college...

why do you think someone would have figured it out when the disease has very few strongly defined characteristics and diagnostic criteria?

the "matching is relaxing" thing is a dead giveaway. literally as strong of one as you could have. he is HFA (Formerly asperger's) and needs treatment directed specifically for that.

Listen to me. You came to /adv/ to ask for advice. I have revealed something new to you. I am right. I am here for this reason, because I know a lot of things and understand a lot of things. I have a degree in human anatomy and physiology with a minor in psychology. I'm not a doctor but I understand these things at a higher level than my education and I am telling you that he is HFA.
>>
>>17294744
oh, also, from your past responses you seem to think that autism is inherently tied with learning disability. it isn't. that is the entire point of the diagnosis of "high functioning autism"

don't forget that some autistics (a tiny portion) are savants capable of feats no other human can perform.

Oh, by the way, I'm High functioning autistic.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.