[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
OK so yesterday while my pc was on I was cleaning the back of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_ltvispzwoB1r2g7mto1_500.jpg (91 KB, 500x513) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ltvispzwoB1r2g7mto1_500.jpg
91 KB, 500x513
OK so yesterday while my pc was on I was cleaning the back of my desk and the tower fell on its side. The pc froze so I manually shut it off. Fast forward to this morning. After turning it back on it was stuck on the bios screen. I decided to restart it and after waiting 5 minutes it finally logged on. To my horror, the thing was slow as hell and would just constantly crash. This would repeat everytime I did a hard reboot. I went into the bios after spamming the delete button. Everything seemed fine but sometimes it wouldn't detect my hard drive at all. I tried to use the manual repair for the hard drive but it would be stuck at 0% for over 2 hours. Anyways, what could the problem possibly be? Thanks ahead of time everyone. Specs:
980 ti gtx
I5 5670k proc
2tb wdc hard drive
Gaz87 d3hp gigabyte hard drive
8 gig xms3 ram 600 watt power supply
>>
*Gaz87 d3hp Gigabyte motherboard
>>
killed the hard drive. which component in the computer is mechanical and would be hurt by falling over, dumbass?
>>
>>17294535
Graphics card could've easily slipped out as well as ram. Evernote the MB could develop a Crack from falling. More than just the HD here m8.
>>
>>17294545
I told your ignorant ass what it is and you're going to fucking argue with me. Jesus christ.

>the system would boot with ram or graphics card not seated

D-DHUHHHHHHHH-UHHHHHHHHH-DDU-D-DUHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>not knowing the bios can still load even if if there was a fucked connection between the MB and hard drive.
>>
>>17294519
Hard drive failure. Download usbc and grab a usb drive. Download rufus and burn the ubcd.iso. Buy a ssd. Connect the ssd, boot the usb, open partedmagic. Wait till booted then open clonezilla. Clone your failing drive then when complete write your cloned image to the ssd. Reboot pc and remove harddrive. Make bios entry to boot your ssd. Problem solved.
>>
>>17294559
no, kid, you're smarter than me. you should try replacing the ram and graphics card, that's definitely it.

people liek you deserve to get hit by cars and die in your own blood.

>ask for help in inappropriate forum
>receive help anyway from an expert
>argue and try to act like you're smarter than them

literally fuck off and DIE.
>>
>>17294545
No, if it was the system bios/uefi will throw errors initializing the cards bios. (yes videocards have a seperate boot bios)
>>
>>17294519
IT'S THE HARDDRIVE. IT'S THE ONLY MECHANICAL TECH IN YOUR PC. VERY UNLIKELY A BOARD CRACKED. IGNORE THE FUD AND ONLY READ THIS ANON. >>17294579
>>
>>17294584
If I get a new ssd and it doesn't work what will you do?
>>
>>17294584
Literal autism
>>
>>17294597
i dunno bro you probably cracked the motherboard that's probably it like you said. what would i know, only worked on computers longer than you have been alive.
>>
File: 1466882859335-pol.jpg (66 KB, 500x482) Image search: [Google]
1466882859335-pol.jpg
66 KB, 500x482
>>17294597
You can get another harddrive of money is tight but a decent 500gb ssd runs for about 150ish.
BUT if you use clonezilla to clone the drive YOU MUST USE A DRIVE WITH A LARGER SIZE THEN THE CLONED DATA.
Example 1tib drive is failing but it has 400gb of data. Clone the .4tib of data and ghost the data onto a new .5tib drive.

How full is your drive anon? That answers your recover answers. Otherwise just salvage all the data you can off the drive and toss the drive and do a fresh install.

This is why data backups and clones are important. I have a 15tib fileserver and 8tib of external drives are deep archive storage.

I feel sorry for you anon I've been there before. It's a shitty place to be when your data is lost.
>>
>>17294615
You've been working on PCs for longer than 24 years?
>>
>>17294622
Did you know people tend to double numbers when they lie?
>>
>>17294615
If he can enter the bios there is likely nothing wrong with the mainboard. It is likely a drive failure. He needs to get the data recovered or trash the drive and reinstall everything from scratch.

The ssd master race feels gud. Non-mechanical drives are a life saver.
>>
File: 1461479226125.jpg (299 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1461479226125.jpg
299 KB, 1920x1080
>>17294620
Pc won't even fucking start at this point due to the dead hdd. How can I transfer the info now?
>>
>>17294636
You need to make a boot drive. Since your computer is currently dead you need to use another pc.
You need a usb stick and a program called rufus (remove your data off the usb drive because it will be overwritten). Download ubcd.iso and rufus program. Use rufus to burn the ubcd.iso to the usb stick. Unplug the stick then plug it into your fucked pc. Go into your bios/uefi then go to boot order. Make the computer boot the usb drive. Restart and ubcd will boot up.

Ubcd has multiple tools for diagnosing and fixing pc problems. I suggest once ubcd is booted you go into the hdd menu and hdd diagnose and run a program that does a SMART test of your drive to see what's going on. Another great tool is parted magic (a linux distro included in ubcd). Parted magic has a program called clonezilla. It's disk cloning software.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

Best of luck.
>>
>>17294679
he isnt going to get any data off a hard drive that he crashed the fucking head into the platter. the drive is dead

if you have 24tib of storage i am amazed you somehow think the drive would be recoverable
>>
>>17294679
Thank you for all the advice. I just have to get my hands on another pc now
>>
>>17294685
It matters what the smart test says. Yes, It is very likely the head got stuck but the reason he should get ubcd running is to see if anything else is fucked or if he possibly is able to syphon so e data off.

I recommend people to use a ssd as a os drive and use harddrives as data drives.

My server is zfs raid 10 with sas and sata mixed drives. I bought a HBA to act as my drive backplane because I don't trust board bridge and sata controllers and hardware raid controllers have no use with zfs.
>>
>>17294722
>My server is zfs raid 10 with sas and sata mixed drives. I bought a HBA to act as my drive backplane because I don't trust board bridge and sata controllers and hardware raid controllers have no use with zfs.

thumbs up, but remember your redundancy is useless if all the data isn't physically backed up in a separate location. fire or lightning strike and it's all gone.
>>
You need to cold reboot your computer.

Place it in freezer for three hour, then power it up.

BIOS is overheating, needs to be cold to start
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.