[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I feel like I'm always inferior and too average. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: ashlee_vance_elon_musk_1.jpg (192 KB, 1200x794) Image search: [Google]
ashlee_vance_elon_musk_1.jpg
192 KB, 1200x794
I feel like I'm always inferior and too average. I'm not literary, nor am I in a cool band, nor am I super attractive. I'm decent and above average at certain things, but I don't have much to show for it. I go as far as reading through LinkedIn profiles of successful ppl because I want to be great. But at the same time, I know I'm not shitty, and I have a sort of arrogance, too. Right now, the only thing I'm good at is university, but that doesn't even matter much. Just because I'm getting As...that doesn't mean anything really.

How do I get over this? Realize that I'm a special, individual butterfly good at something, or do I have to work harder to be a good piece of shit?

third option?
>>
>>17291118
Is there anything you would like to get good at? Maybe you could save up for an instrument and learn how to play it. Or become a good at a sport if you're more physically capable.
>>
>>17291118
It sounds like you are doing well in your current situation, university - so that is your strength, then parlay that into the career you are studying for.

No one is strong everywhere, everyone has strengths and weaknesses, so be strong and confident in your field of expertise
>>
File: attaboy_deadpool.jpg (86 KB, 475x695) Image search: [Google]
attaboy_deadpool.jpg
86 KB, 475x695
>>17291143
Fuck, I'm gonna sound like a fag. But shit anon, you spot on.
>>
>>17291143
>>17291143
I'm a phil major and I get straight As, but that shit isn't worth anything in the real world. Idk. I just look at people who produce something, have something to show the world and their friends—even being really knowledgable about certain things. I feel like I'm good at school without being knowledgeable...if that makes sense. Like I can read, go to lecture, do that shit, and get a good grade, but I'm not really worth shit. I'm still ignorant. anyways, that's how I view it.
>>
>>17291142
To your point—whenever I have some revelatory moment in my life (e.g. "I'm going to read all of Heidegger's work"), I just flake out. Like I'll start it, think about it, fucking beat myself up about not doing it....then give up and move on. Of course, that's just stupid shit obv. I just need to find the drive that I have to do well in school and apply it to other things—besides getting As fuckk
>>
>>17291152
Maybe you shouldn't worry so much right now. I mean you're still in school. Put all your effort into finishing. And when you're out there in the real world, that's when you prove yourself.
>>
>>17291118
i just wanna be an analyst at goldman and be a fucking star
>>
>>17291152
Then why the hell did you phil major if you want to be good at something else? I thought thats what you went to college to do - to be good at something

Maybe switch majors, and start over?
>>
>>17291165
Right...well I'm definitely not good at STEM shit that is actually applicable to a successful career. More into humanities because it's actually tolerable. But still...I'm not even a true academic. I talk to people at other schools—like ivies and shit—and I just feel awful. Like, they are on another level, and I'll never reach that level...and I'm stuck in this middle ground between poseur and real academic.
>>
>>17291169
Maybe teaching? if not at university maybe high school? its rewarding and you will make a difference in hundreds of peoples lives, even if only for a few months at a time
>>
>>17291181
yeah. thought about it. I'm not trying to be a difficult, but that isn't enough. It's like I have this yearning to be a hotshot and until I get there, I feel like a shit. And what's worse is that I don't have a real passion to drive me to hotshot status. whatever, I'll get over it. people have way worse shit here
>>
>>17291187
Maybe you have a unreasonable need for people to think you are cool - you dont need to impress anyone. You are impressive enough just being a decent person who cares about things, plus college. you are doing pretty well in the larger picture of things

Go visit a homeless shelter and volunteer for a few hours - you will walk out of there feeling pretty good about your life - do it
>>
>>17291198
I think you're actually onto something anon. It's more that I'm concerned what other people think. Like I want to be GREAT not for myself, but just so that other people congratulate me and see me as something great—not for myself.
>>
>>17291202
Dude fuck what other people think. If they dont like you for you being you, then their opinion doesnt mean shit

Being cool is an ego thing - im king shit I have this I did this My girl is hot - Wake up look around no one cares
>>
File: Type4Arrows-300x192.gif (10 KB, 300x192) Image search: [Google]
Type4Arrows-300x192.gif
10 KB, 300x192
Based on what you said you sound like an mbti ENTP or ESTP, they tend to (wanna) be cool and liked, estps are especially arrogant by nature but they also tend to want to do things that elevate them to be cool/successful
I would suggest taking a short test or two for mbti and enneagram, these help a lot with introspection and self reflection and enneagram is really helpful to point you to the right direction, depending what type you are you should avoid behaving way A and instead strive for way B
>>
>>17291215
ENTP, so what the fuck am I supposed to do? Also, I've heard meyers briggs is bullshit science
>>
>>17291220
accept yourself instead of wondering why the fuck you are the way you are?
do cool things that combine what you actually want out of life and that will make cool even if its unconventional?
>>
make *you
>>
also its not bull but also not a complete map
in my opinion knowing your mbti/enneagram/instinctual subtype helps you recognize bad behavior/blind spots, knowing your growth direction and helps relax you into yourself without complacency

here
http://www.sociotype.com/socionics/types/ILE-ENTp/
>>
>>17291152
Well you're a fucking phil major, how do you expect to feel worthy? Go study somethibg actually useful.
Philosophy is great, but you need a library to study it, not a faculty.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.