[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi All, Britfag here. Despite being in all top sets and generally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: u.jpg (3 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
u.jpg
3 MB, 1680x1050
Hi All,

Britfag here. Despite being in all top sets and generally being a pretty smart guy I left school at 16 with just a few GSCEs because I had something mental breakdown in Year 11.

I got better after a year or so and started doing customer service jobs (inbound call centre kind of things) and have been doing so since - 24 now.

While I don't mind the job I'm in currently I'm at the stage now where I feel I should actually make some use of what intellect have and try to pursue a career in something more rewarding and interesting - only I'm at a loss as to where to even start.

I'm not asking you guys to decide what I should do with my life, obviously, but if anyone can throw some advice my way so I could get the ball rolling that'd be nice. I realise too I've hardly given you a lot of information to go on - not even sure what I should give really so I'll await questions.

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>17289151

>I'm at a loss as to where to even start

and were at a loss as to where to even push you.

i mean we need something. you didnt even tell us where your intellect lies.

math? science? politics? history? or are you claiming literature as an intelligent field?

not all nerds are created equal. someone who did extremely well in politics can not know shit about math or science or vice versa. you are not just 'smart'. you are a certain kind of smart (if any at all). so start there.

also narrow down what you fucking want further, cuz its still not enough. what is 'rewarding'. a smart math guy can go be an accountant. a smart science guy can go work for a shampoo company. is this rewarding or worth it?

is it rewarding cuz its money, or is it rewarding cuz you give back to earth?

you are asking too broad a question
>>
>>17289161
Most things would be more rewarding than dealing with irate customers but I take your point!

English was always my strong suit in school and I'm definitely a good communicator. Been praised repeatedly at each of the jobs I've had because I can diffuse customer's grumbles most of the time by clear and firm while still being genuine and "human" rather than a faceless corporate dick or whatever.

I have a pretty impressive memory (both short and long term but mostly long term) which helps a lot with pretty much anything. While the jobs I have had don't require genius I've picked them all up a lot quicker than expected because I don't usually need telling twice.

Sorry if that's still kind of vague!
>>
>>17289203

it is. if you're into literature, think about whats the best job that can support whatever you want to do there in your spare time, cuz there arent a lot of jobs in the 'literature' field, and considering how vague you are i wouldnt know where to begin pushing you towards if you insisted on legit working.

but for fun, write a book. or a script. or a radioplay.
>>
https://youtu.be/-zCCugB1DCk

Poppa Franku says jerk it more.
>>
>>17289161
ALSO on the "rewarding" bit (and I have absolutely no excuse for not including this in the OP), something that would potentially allow me to work abroad at some point would be fooking nice
>>
>>17289226

thats great. so we know any job that is related to literature, or traveling abroad.

the problem is, none of us really care. these things make it slightly slightly slightly less vague but we know nothing about whether you can even go back to college. from the sounds of it you arent as intelligent as you claim to be. not that you're dumb or im insulting you.

but your requirements are
>im good at literature and talking
and
>id like to travel abroad.

doesnt sound like this is more than passing thought to you to be honest.
>>
>>17289237
I know you're not trying to be a dick it's cool. I'm pretty sure from your saying "math" rather than "maths" that you're not from the UK so we're probably not going to get very far as to whether I "can go to college" and I doubt you know what GCSEs are - understandably. It doesn't really work the same here as it does over there as far as I can tell.
>>
>>17289226
how are you with your hands? think about carpentry. a mate of mine was quite a bit older than you are now when he started his and works in australia now. not sure what sort of qualifications you need exactly. dont think he had much more than maybe a-levels.

this was a few years ago mind
>>
>>17289270
You kind of need someone to take you on as an apprentice with anything like that nowadays I think, can't just learn it in a classroom. At least, a friend of mine EVENTUALLY got on one after months and months of trying and that was when he was 18/19 - a 24 year old is even more up against it I'd wager!
>>
bump for tomorrow
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.