[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Uni advice
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 656x224) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 656x224
Mathmatical physics or an engineering major?

Help me out /adv/
>>
File: 1466558419723.png (70 KB, 1938x434) Image search: [Google]
1466558419723.png
70 KB, 1938x434
Engineering
>>
>>17288422
Yup
>>
Why?
>>
I am currently a physics masters student, just did some research in mathematical physics.

You gotta think hard about what you really want to do. Engineering will get you a job easily, but math physics opens up academia. Are you more concrete or abstract? These are things to think about before deciding.

Reason I say this is because a lot of people try physics then drop since they don't really know what they want from it.
>>
How are you liking the master of physics?

I enjoy learning about the natural phenomena and have always been interested in mathematics. I feel that engineering will be too cold and uninteresting to me in the long run, but I know the job availabilities are fantastic, hence my dilemma.
>>
>>17288457

If you think that engineering is cold and uninteresting...

I like it a lot, but I've known I've wanted to study this for a long long time.

When you say you like math, what do you mean? Sometimes math in high school isn't the same as what you'd expect in uni.
>>
I'm currently a first year, tossing up majors. I have completed calc 2 and linear algebra at an Australian university. Overall I enjoy learning it I suppose. The problem solving aspects are what interest me.
>>
>>17288496
Well, I'd recommend you try looking at some basic quantum mechanics books to see if youre interested. Grifiths or Shankar might do you some good.

If those books excite you, then switch, if not, do engineering.

I did my undergrad in the US, and right now I'm in France
>>
>>17288420
>Mathmatical physics
Gets you into academia and science.
>engineering major?
Gets you a job.
>>
>>17288457
you are looking at this from the wrong direction, you dont choose the right college course by thinking about the subjects and how you like them.
Instead you ask yourself, where you wanna be in 10-20 years, because college is only a tool to achieve a bigger dream, if you know what you want. Otherwise you will spend a lot of money and time on swtudying a subject and will not be happy with the outcome and the future that you build with it.

Do you wanna work in science and academia, jumping from timed contract to timed contract?
> mathematical physics
Do you want a career in the industry, have power, earn a lot of money and have a stable job that can sustain a family?
> engineering

For me I knew that i would like the flexibility of beeing a doctor, always new people, never boring always a new thrill, the ability to go into the industry, academia or start my own business. So i am going to medschool and cant think of anything better. But when I was young i was interested in Biology and informatics, started bio informatics and was soon disappointed
>>
>>17288500
What? That is a terrible suggestion. All of physics isn't quantum mechanics. If he doesn't like quantum that doesn't mean physics isn't for him. I'm just blown away by how bad this advice is.

What physics courses have you taken OP? What about engineering? It is worth the time to take courses in both to see which you enjoy more. Read about what the professors in both departments are up to, maybe something will stand out to you.

Good luck OP. They are both good options.
>>
>>17288420
Neither. For several years people entering college have been pushed toward STEM majors, and by the time you get out, the world will be up to its knees in unemployed STEM grads.

My dad told me how this happened to business majors in the 1980s and 1990s.
>>
>>17288581
Yeah just try and tell me that physics, especially mathematical, doesn't require an interest in quantum phenomenon. The only way to avoid it is to get into astronomy and even then many are starting to bridge the gap into particle physics.

It was just a suggestion to see if that level of rigor and abstractness is something he'd like, since from my experience engineering tends towards the more concrete and tangible side of the coin.
>>
>>17288582
if you are a stem, germany is atm lacking a few hundred thousand qualified workers, so there is always a possibility
>>
Engineering is a dying field. Computers have taken over most of the calculations, so engineering firms are really just filled with data entry clerks.

It's not a good choice for the future.
>>
>>17288420
>uni

You mean college?
>>
>>17289841
Shut the fuck up retarded american
>>
>>17288420
Mathematical Physics every day of the week, then a MSc in Financial Mathematics.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.