[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My lovely girlfriend of 2 1/2 years has told me this week that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /adv/ - Advice

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: boogermaster.jpg (13 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
boogermaster.jpg
13 KB, 300x200
My lovely girlfriend of 2 1/2 years has told me this week that she wants to take a break. Her reasoning was that she needed time away from the relationship because she doesn't know what she wants out of life and what she's doing with her life since graduating this past fall. Her request for a break was granted. We hugged it out and one thing she emphasized was she didn't want us to be over forever and that she'd like to continue being in contact. I'm fine with this.

I haven't spoken to her since this conversation thus far as I do not know how to speak to her. Like she was my woman or "a friend" so to say. I really don't know what to make of the situation at all and I am just kind of winging it and hoping for the best.
>>
>>17287224
welcome to women...we leave if we're stressed. date a girl who isnt selflish.
>>
>>17287246

I hear you man. Really my thought process on this is we're both grown adults and I can't make a grown adult work things out with me so if she needs her space, take a step back and grant her her space. Just hope she comes around.
>>
>>17287224
Fuck her dude, legit break up with her. Girl going on a break means she wants to see what's out there and keep you on as back up. Have a little self respect. Recommend treating this as a break up, go no contact, self improvement, date other girls. You can tell her it's over but you don't anything to that selfish cunt. And yes I'm projecting from my own situation.
>>
>>17287224
First things first... ask yourself whether or not you are into her. If you still are, just talk to her like she was someone you care a lot about. Not pushy, just concerned. Being honest is the best policy imo.
>>
>>17287256

Duly noted
>>
>>17287224
Then don't say anything. Treat the situation as though you two broke up and make sure to eliminate any expectations you have of her. This way if she does wind up coming back, which she probably won't, it will be a pleasant surprise, and when it turns out she's not coming back it shouldn't be any sweat off your back as you've already prepared yourself for this exact situation.
>>
>>17287263

I'm absolutely into her. My instinct right now is to play it by ear, be hands off for a little bit, minimal contact, breathe, think, and revisit this a little later and she where we're at.
>>
>>17287265

That's been the exact process I've been thinking. Don't expect too much but if she comes around, hey, great, if not, that's fine too.
>>
>>17287271
*see
>>
>>17287264
He's a dick but he's not totally wrong. People do go on breaks for that reason. But they can also be serious about needing space. Generally you can tell based on whether or not the person who wants a break thinks it should be okay to fuck other people.

She wants to fuck others (and sometimes isn't okay with you doing the same)? You're the fallback plan, bro.
>>
>>17287224
Hard truths: She wants something better

She's looking for something better, but she wants to keep you in the reserve in case it doesn't work out for her

Has some self-respect and end the relationship
>>
>>17287224
thats all you can do is keep winging it - if you can handle the friendship thing, try to start dating others again eventually.

give it a little more time and maybe throw a text asking to talk - but no i miss you stuff, just see how long she stays on the convo, and keep in touch, maybe physical is still in the cards as friends who knows
>>
>>17287301

We didn't discuss sex or the prospect of seeing other people. She only disclosed wanting to be alone and single for a while.
>>
>>17287316
why does anybody want to be single? So you can try out other options

I know you don't want that to be the case, but you're not really in the best position to judge this.
>>
Please dont be a cuck op. After she gets some new dick/she cant find a better guy she will come running back more lovey than ever and insisting she was a fool for ever thinking she needed to be away from you and she missed you so much during the break.
>>
>>17287316
Protect yourself. Don't try to be a martyr. Don't idealize her or your relationship at all.
>>
>>17287316
What would be the purpose of being single?

I don't want to put you against her, mind you (like all the other anons are doing, albeit in good faith), but someone fucked up. It's either you or her. And whether that's you or her, she seems to want out.

Didn't she mention WHY she felt like needing a break?
>>
>>17287224
>My lovely girlfriend of 2 1/2 years has told me this week that she wants to take a break
from you

>Her reasoning was that she needed time away
from you

>because she doesn't know what she wants out of life
she doesn't want to be with you

>Her request for a break was granted
because you're kinda dumb

>she emphasized was she didn't want us to be over forever
because she's afraid that she can't do any better than you
>>
>>17287224

>We hugged it out and one thing she emphasized was she didn't want us to be over forever and that she'd like to continue being in contact.

The thing about relationships, anon, is that when they die they stay dead.

"Taking a break" is just code for "I'm going to break up with you but if I get lonely or regret it later I still want the option of coming back."

Its unfair to you and it prevents either of you from being able to give the relationship the proper mourning period it deserves.

Your relationship was over the second she asked for a break and you know what? Thats ok. Its ok for things not to work out but don't get caught in this "break" trap where she wants to go explore the world but still keep you on standby if she discovers it wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

A relationship isn't a bar stool; she can't throw a coat over you and yell "dibs" and just expect you to be waiting for her whenever she decides to come back.

Move on, anon. I know it sucks but young relationships are supposed to end so let it end. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.
>>
>>17287224
she met someone new. Shes more than likely fucking him right now.

After she gets bored fucking other people and/or regrets her decision she wants you to be available just in case. That way when she gets scared she can return to the status quo.

So yeah. Keep talking to her if you want to be with someone that doesn't give a fuck about you. She is 100% with someone else right now though.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.